NEW BEYER REFRESH TOO! 990, 880, 770!
Sep 7, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #76 of 181
Wow the new cups are really ugly! I personally like the older model better however this customization thing is nice. I made a cool red one, and an ok blue one.

I currently own A modified pair of DT770-80's, The upgraded cable helps but Im not a big fan of the 80 Ohm impeadence, It seems to lack the brightness and bass impact the 250 had so Im glad to see its return.

Lastly I hope they release these parts seperatly, Id love to add black velour to mine
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #77 of 181
It would be nice to see Beyer release a new flagship, the DT-1010 perhaps
biggrin.gif
(were it following the formula you'd end up with 10100 but that doesn't have much of a ring to it). Personally out of the three I prefer the DT990 anyway (mines the 250ohm version), however I don't see people buying them immediately for $300 when the old ones have been available for $180 all along. I think the customization option is a very welcome offering, and to have it available, especially the engraving, on such relatively low priced items is pretty impressive IMO.

Sep 7, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #78 of 181
They need to come up with a "blurple" option (blue/purple, perhaps blue/purple/black).

YngwieJMalmsteen -- "Sorry'bout Your Wallet" -- that's great! LOL...

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #79 of 181
I have two dt990's here and each sound different. So yeah, are you sure you want anyone to take that bet?
wink.gif

Look, can we stop with the signal to noise stuff? We don't know how they're going to sound, we don't know if there's anything new or not? So why waste time making claims that no one can know are true or not.

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #80 of 181
I don't think there has been any significant change in the sound.

Had there been, I'm sure Beyer marketing department would be all over it like the corporate li... truth tellers they are and saying things like: "new improved 100% better sound with XYZ technology (TM)".

I predict that the only potential sound change coming out of the Mass Configured versions (like the 32Ohm version) is with sources (i.e. amps) that are not impedance linear with low impedance nominal loads.

I'm guessing:

- diminished bass (esp. out of iPod and some other self-amped portable sources)
- increase of upper treble

All the rest will be placebo on the level of "Hey, I think the red version of the cans uses some rare earth magnetized paint that diminishes the movement of the voice coil, hence compressing the human vocal range in a pleasing manner" -thinking.

With powerful enough amps that have near 0 ohm nominal output impedance and impedance linearity throughout the audible range, I expect very little differences (perhaps something small in the treble).

If anybody knows for sure that they've changed the sound, please post.

Otherwise, it's just the emperor's new clothes.

best regards,
Halcyon

Sep 7, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #81 of 181
All I have to go on, and it could be very wrong, is what they've done in the past.

The old dt990s are not the same as the modern ones, in look or in sound. It's not just the extra impedence of the old dt990s, are the dt531-ish headband, or black earpads, or loosely coiled cable and Y-termination to the headcups, or the leather headband with the company's name on it.

It's the sound. The old dt990 was the flagship model at its time, and sounds it. Yes, it has a darker characteristic but it's more of a flavor. Like the opposite of bright. There's plenty of detail and a big soundstage, where you're sitting closer to the stage than with Senns. Overall detail is on par with hd650's.

Now the new dt990s are fun, but they are not the detailed beasts the old dt990s are.

Same model number, different headphone. That's the past. What about now? Well, the dt880 was the flagship. Is it still? Who knows? Only Beyer does I suppose. The pricing would suggest that's changed, but you don't always get what you pay for either. So, my problem with assuming the Beyers have not changed are the clue-in to perhaps a flagship change back to the old days, and the fact that Beyer has done this before, keep the same model number, change around the sound.

But for all that, these are not the old days, could just be cosmetic. Beyer isn't so great with the marketing that you can fully tell what they're up to. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #83 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
A bunch have said that they're waiting in the wings for people to sell their old 880s for the new ones.

Don't wait around too long. Users who love their 880s won't easily part wit them, and I'm one of those saps who's really addicted to its amazing sound. In curiosity, I keep my eyes open for used 880s on the For Sale boards here. I've seen only a couple for sale any given year, whereas there's a relative torrent of HD600s and 650s.

My sentiments exactly. I may buy a 32 Ohm 880 for its (presumed) versatility, but you won't see my current 880 on the sales block.

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #84 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_villain
New DT880'sDT770's and DT990's which are 32ohms?!! Sniff, sniff. Aren't the DT660/440/860 and DTX line 32 ohms? Ha, ha.
biggrin.gif

It's an option, at least on the 880. I didn't check the others.

Sep 8, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #85 of 181
Yeah, all three have a 32 ohm version in the MANUFAKTUR-y as a choice. There's even some verbage about MP3 (and presumably PCDP) players.

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #86 of 181
Any new information on the new Beyer line in the last few weeks?

Has anyone found out when they intend to release them? Are the changes only cosmetic? etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back