NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,516 of 2,079
For those of you who've had exposure to both the Portal and H95, please let me know if there are major differences you've noticed in call quality (mic capability) as well as ANC and battery life.

I'm trying to see if I can justify the additional $400 for the H95.
FWIW. Haven't tried the Portal, but have H7 and H6 and compared with those the H95 is just great in its own right as a BT phone

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,519 of 2,079
Was enjoying my H95s, but my wife just commandeered them. At least I still have my real headphones 😊 I'm actually quite happy that she's starting to understand headphones.
With all due respect: What is your "real" headphones?:) Thought your wife had them now.....

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #1,521 of 2,079
Hei all!

Just decided to trade in my Denon AH-D5200 and got the B&O H95s.

They sound and feel very nice, but quite surprised that my H4s seem a bit more energetic and clearer highs when cabled vs the H95.

If I A/B then the H95s almost feel a bit veiled.

Only big improvement I find on the H95s is that the bass is more detailed and tighter with a bit less presence.

Hoping more detail comes out after some use.

However their over all soundscape is very nice, also quite comfortable.

I don’t see the massive worth though considering the price, 150€ for the H4 vs 800€ for the H95

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,524 of 2,079
Did, still not as clear highs 😂
It might be interesting to try them with a direct usb connection and bypass bluetooth. I tried this on mine and noticed an improvement in quality - I was just curious how much the bluetooth codec was deteriorating sound quality. I also found than off my Samsung S20+, which only supports sbc, aac & aptx the sound wasn't so good.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,525 of 2,079
Hei all!

Just decided to trade in my Denon AH-D5200 and got the B&O H95s.

They sound and feel very nice, but quite surprised that my H4s seem a bit more energetic and clearer highs when cabled vs the H95.

You cannot compare the H4 with the H95 while cabled. The H95 has been designed to operate differently and does not support passive passtrough audio. On the H95 any analog signal will go through the DSP/DAC and the H95 needs to be powered on. It therefore is not a clean signal. In exchange however the H95 supports USB-C digital audio which is better than the H4 when cabled over analog. To each its advantages I would say, but for me the H95 definitely is the better choice.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #1,526 of 2,079
You cannot compare the H4 with the H95 while cabled. The H95 has been designed to operate differently and does not support passive passtrough audio. On the H95 any analog signal will go through the DSP/DAC and the H95 needs to be powered on. It therefore is not a clean signal. In exchange however the H95 supports USB-C digital audio which is better than the H4 when cabled over analog. To each its advantages I would say, but for me the H95 definitely is the better choice.
I would agree that overall the H95 is a nicer headset, however the lack of passive ability such as the passed H series is quite an omission given it’s price point.

I have had others in the passed operating the same, B&W PX for example.
Loved that headset and it’s sound signature, but it’s electronics went mental and sadly I couldn’t use them passively.
Luckily I had a month of warranty left on those.

But what happens when there is no warranty left?

Expensive paper weight anyone?

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #1,527 of 2,079
I would agree that overall the H95 is a nicer headset, however the lack of passive ability such as the passed H series is quite an omission given it’s price point.

I have had others in the passed operating the same, B&W PX for example.
Loved that headset and it’s sound signature, but it’s electronics went mental and sadly I couldn’t use them passively.
Luckily I had a month of warranty left on those.

But what happens when there is no warranty left?

Expensive paper weight anyone?
The HX and Portal also lack passive pass through. I think that’s the direction all new Beoplay headphones will take from now own.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,528 of 2,079
The HX and Portal also lack passive pass through. I think that’s the direction all new Beoplay headphones will take from now own.
That’s a shame 😞

So nice to be able to listen on the go, then get home and plug into an amp and have a completely different experience.

As well as still having sound when the battery eventually dies for good.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,529 of 2,079
That’s a shame 😞

So nice to be able to listen on the go, then get home and plug into an amp and have a completely different experience.

As well as still having sound when the battery eventually dies for good.
I have ordered a couple of pad replacements for my H9i as I intend to keep those for as long as they last which, i am sure, will out live my Portals by several years!

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #1,530 of 2,079
I have ordered a couple of pad replacements for my H9i as I intend to keep those for as long as they last which, i am sure, will out live my Portals by several years!
Yeah I would do the same with the H4s but ……. 😂

Sadly when I tried the H9is I had to return them due to discomfort, which is what led me to the H4s and why I like them.

The H95s are to me, something between the H4 and H9i in terms of one’s comfort and the others sound, but the uncertainty of longevity is a little bit of a shame.
But still, 3 year warranty!
So….. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back