NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,458 of 2,077
Hi to all, i discover just a small problem with the h95, wile tune the music on the beosonic, (Make the dot in the middel bigger, but still in the middel, the sound of the headphone are direct to the back left side, (try it for your self.never heard it, anybody eats) when resting it to the middel (spall dot ) it fine . is this a fault, it only 10 moths old so warranty is on

Oct 10, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,459 of 2,077
How are people finding the H95's ANC performance on airplanes? I just picked up a pair, and I am very disappointed with the ANC on an airplane. My AirPod Pros were much better. I also sometimes hear a crackle from the ANC that's caused by wind when I'm walking outside.

Is this a general trend for IEM ANC vs. over ear ANC? Should I expect comparable performance from an IEM ANC and over ear ANC headphone? Or is something wrong with the pair of h95's I received? At the price point, I would expect leading ANC performance...

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of AirPods Max to compare, but I love the sound signature so much of the h95...I will be very disappointed if I end up returning them because of the ANC.

P.S. I also tried the beoplay HX's, and the ANC was even more disappointing. The H95's are way ahead of the HX's in every way, including the ANC.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #1,460 of 2,077
Do they really make a difference?
With H6, a huge difference, with H95 neither acoustically nor compatible - Dragonfly Red distorts the sound as soon as you make it louder.

performance on airplanes
I can say for modern trains which sound pretty similar to airplanes, the performance with APM is considerably better than H95. H95 have just an ANC while APM have some kind of adaptive ANC, which listens to the surrounding actively and adapts. Can’t describe it any better. Only that in APM I get a better isolation imo.

crackle from the ANC that's caused by wind when I'm walking outside.
Another thing that APM does better. It definitely has less wind noise when ANC on. It doesn’t completely eliminate it, can’t really, but imo it is better. On H95 I found myself often turn ANC off when windy. On APM I actually removed the non-APM mode off, just using transparency and ANC.

I also find the volume knob on the APM better. I tried using H95 with capacitive hand gloves, terrible. But also without hand gloves, swiping the track, hit and miss very often. With APM, never. Each functionality is a hit every single time.
Volume knob on H95 is also very imprecise. If you turn slowly, it won’t react. APM doesn’t care how slow or precise you turn. And with hand gloves also harder to reach, since it’s on the inside of the ear cup.

The clear downside of the APM though is that they are basically made for the Apple world, and when it comes to the compatibility with non-Apple devices and switching between those (for instance Lenovo laptop and an iPhone), it does not do it seamlessly.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,461 of 2,077
With H6, a huge difference, with H95 neither acoustically nor compatible - Dragonfly Red distorts the sound as soon as you make it louder.

I can say for modern trains which sound pretty similar to airplanes, the performance with APM is considerably better than H95. H95 have just an ANC while APM have some kind of adaptive ANC, which listens to the surrounding actively and adapts. Can’t describe it any better. Only that in APM I get a better isolation imo.

Another thing that APM does better. It definitely has less wind noise when ANC on. It doesn’t completely eliminate it, can’t really, but imo it is better. On H95 I found myself often turn ANC off when windy. On APM I actually removed the non-APM mode off, just using transparency and ANC.

I also find the volume knob on the APM better. I tried using H95 with capacitive hand gloves, terrible. But also without hand gloves, swiping the track, hit and miss very often. With APM, never. Each functionality is a hit every single time.
Volume knob on H95 is also very imprecise. If you turn slowly, it won’t react. APM doesn’t care how slow or precise you turn. And with hand gloves also harder to reach, since it’s on the inside of the ear cup.

The clear downside of the APM though is that they are basically made for the Apple world, and when it comes to the compatibility with non-Apple devices and switching between those (for instance Lenovo laptop and an iPhone), it does not do it seamlessly.

H95 does not use capacitive touch in the traditional sense, because of the all metal body. It works by sensing the deformation of the metal, capacitively. B&O have perfected this tech some time ago.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,463 of 2,077

Oh come on, there is nothing perfect about it. It works, but it’s unreliable.

Is ok if you preferring the APM, but some negative comments you making about the h95 is exaggeration.

The anc in APM, qc35, xm3 and xm4 is better than h95, but they aren't "considerably better" for airplanes. H95 anc is very sufficiently good in this situation. I reporting this some weeks ago when I using h95 in 2 flights.

About the swiping for next/previous tracks, your comment is very exaggeration, about "hit and miss" and "unreliable. After 13,5 months with h95 the response of swiping is 99.5% accurate. In fact, after one month with APM my experience in this aspect is that sometimes I don't clicking correctly 3 times for previous tracks and is going forward. And sometimes the volume is affected because is the same button.

Yes, the volume knob of APM is more precise than volume wheel of h95 (I saying this before), but the reachability (how quick you accessing this feature) is many better in h95. I saying before, several times, that I'm a person that is changing volume and tracks VERY constantly. The volume action in h95 must be fast for a response. And in my personal experience not other headphone is giving me the quick access of volume changes and track changes that h95 is giving me. And this 2 aspects, for me, making my user experience fantastic.

The APM is a very, very good anc wireless headphone, and is definitely one of my top 3 in a very long list (first is h95, then p7 wireless (but having no anc), then APM).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,464 of 2,077
Never heard the P7, so I can’t judge. But all my experiences are coming from first using H95 and then APM. It is simply the fact that with H95 I was first impressed, then the impression faded as I was using them for a while. Then I decided I want to compare, got the APM and the decision was made almost instantly. However, I feel obliged to mention that all my tests were done inside of 30 days, so that I can return the product, whatever it is. I was using APM for couple of days and it exceeded H95 in almost every aspect. If considerably or not, that is just a personal opinion, nothing more or less.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,465 of 2,077
I was using APM for couple of days and it exceeded H95 in almost every aspect.

I received the APM yesterday and I have to agree. The h95 definitely has a better sound signature, but it’s close. The h95 has more detailed highs and mids, and crisper bass. The APM has a more consumer EQ to my ear, with a little more rumble in the bass, but still very close, nothing like a true V-shape you might find in other consumer cans. But the sound signature is very similar, I have to really concentrate to hear differences. I’d also give a slight edge to h95 in terms of soundstage.

However the APM are better in every other way than battery life. They are super comfortable (I can’t wear the h95 without adjusting once an hour - it’s the headband). The ANC is extremely good, I would say slightly better anc on the APM compared to AirPods Pro (and the AirPods Pro have significantly better anc than the h95s). I wish the anc had more settings on the APM (like the dial on the h95), but anc/transparency modes are so well tuned on the APM it doesn’t really matter.

If you are considering the h95 or APM, I would highly recommend trying both. They are so close it really comes down to personal opinion IMO. For me, I’m almost certainly going to return the h95 due to comfort and ANC.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,466 of 2,077
I received the APM yesterday and I have to agree. The h95 definitely has a better sound signature, but it’s close. The h95 has more detailed highs and mids, and crisper bass. The APM has a more consumer EQ to my ear, with a little more rumble in the bass, but still very close, nothing like a true V-shape you might find in other consumer cans. But the sound signature is very similar, I have to really concentrate to hear differences. I’d also give a slight edge to h95 in terms of soundstage.

I have a surprise with your comment ("the sound signature is very similar, I have to really concentrate to hear differences") because I really think the sound difference is very, very obvious in the factory sound of the two headphones without using concentration for hearing the difference. But, if you're using one of the "headphone accommodations" in APM available only in iOS devices (which is not the factory sound of the APM), then one or maybe two settings here are close with the h95 sound.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,467 of 2,077
I have a surprise with your comment ("the sound signature is very similar, I have to really concentrate to hear differences") because I really think the sound difference is very, very obvious in the factory sound of the two headphones without using concentration for hearing the difference. But, if you're using one of the "headphone accommodations" in APM available only in iOS devices (which is not the factory sound of the APM), then one or maybe two settings here are close with the h95 sound.
Perhaps I should have said “if I’m working on a computer and listening to music, I can’t really tell a difference.”

If you’re sitting there with your eyes closed listening to music, you can tell pretty easily (I would call this concentrating).

The point I was trying to make is that in the most common use cases of either headphone, the sound quality is good enough in both for this to not be a deciding factor for most people.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,468 of 2,077
Perhaps I should have said “if I’m working on a computer and listening to music, I can’t really tell a difference.”

In that case probably comparing so many earphones and headphones giving you similar result ('not big difference, is very close').

If you’re sitting there with your eyes closed listening to music, you can tell pretty easily (I would call this concentrating).

I don't think listening with "eyers closed" and doing nothing more is necessary for hearing the clear difference of sound between the h95 and APM. This is my experience.

The point I was trying to make is that in the most common use cases of either headphone, the sound quality is good enough in both for this to not be a deciding factor for most people.

I think the sound, in general, is very good/excellent in both headphones, but when you're paying so much money for a headphone, maybe the sound quality is very important too (is for me definitely!). And in my case the sound quality of h95 is clearly better than APM, but this isn't the only reason why for me is the better headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,469 of 2,077
In that case probably comparing so many earphones and headphones giving you similar result ('not big difference, is very close').
Strongly disagree here. Tried the B&O HX, Bose 700, XM4, which are all popular competitors in the ANC wireless headphone category. APM and H95 are clearly separated from these other headphones in my experience. Didn’t try some other popular ones like Momentum 3’s, so can’t say I explored the full space. APM we’re the last I tried because I didn’t *want* to like the APMs but was pleasantly surprised.

Everything else you mentioned is personal outlook (even the above is!), so to each their own. Just sharing my experience because it was a journey to find the right headphone for me. I would still say if ANC is important, the H95s are probably not the right headphone and for those reading this, definitely shop around.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,470 of 2,077
Strongly disagree here. Tried the B&O HX, Bose 700, XM4, which are all at competitors in the ANC wireless headphone category. APM and H95 are clearly separated from these other headphones in my experience. Didn’t try some other popular ones like Momentum 3’s, so can’t say I explored the full space. APM we’re the last I tried because I didn’t *want* to like the APMs but was pleasantly surprised.

Everything else you mentioned is personal outlook (even the above is!), so to each their own. Just sharing my experience because it was a journey to find the right headphone for me. I would still say if ANC is important, the H95s are probably not the right headphone and for those reading this, definitely shop around.

Your experience and preference in every aspect is very valid.

All that I'm saying is that the sound difference of the h95 and APM isn't really requiring big focus or concentration for hearing a clear difference.

And yes, if anc is very, very (the more ) important aspect for you (for me is very important, actually), then APM, xm3, xm4 and qc35 are better. But for me anc in h95 is very sufficiently good when is combined too with great sound, user experience, comfort and battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back