New Balanced SS Amplifier by RudiStor (NX-33)
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #91 of 98
I've never heard the NX-33 but I like the sound of other balanced solid state amps like the Dynamight (Balanced Dynahi) or the GS-X. How does the NX-33 compare to these designs?

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #92 of 98
Impressions after 2 weeks of use:

I am still stunned by how this amp makes the HD650 sound. Let me share with you 3 main points I consider really superior with the NX-33 when going balanced:

1 - The increased power allows much much better grip on HD650 drivers, resulting in a much more clear and flat reponse, as opposed to the somehow slow or thick response for the low and low-medium frequencies in single ended mode. Bass are now much faster and tight but above all, the low-medium is also much clearer, making the HD650 lose its dark sound. I guess this is the most remarkable change when going balanced, which probably contributes to the sensation of hearing totally different headphones.

2 - But balanced is not all about increased power. The level of details is just astonishing when compared to single ended. I don't know what contributes in the balanced topology to this increased resolution, but it's really hard to believe it can be achieve with actually the same components as used in single ended, which in comparison, sound totally mudy and veiled. It feels as if the signal comes to the drivers free of any distortion.

3 - Finally, soundstage imaging is much much more precise when going balanced. If this is due to reduced crosstalk due to the balanced topology, I have no clue. But the increased precision in the soundstage is very easy to spot, with tremendous separation of instruments and voices (choirs), letting also more air breathing between notes. I don't feel though that the soundstage has become bigger, but just much more focused and precise.

These are the main improvements I can think of when listening to the NX-33 in balanced mode. Very nice indeed.

As a very nice point, the music and notes have acquired a beautiful density with HD650, resulting in a much more physical/tactil presentation of the music than with my Stax SR-303.

Only downside so far is the slight lack of tonal accuracy of the HD650 especially when listening jazz female vocals... My K501 are better there, but for all the rest, HD650 are just impressive.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #93 of 98
thanks for your detailed description of this pair.

I have HD-600 and am considering the NX-33. I’m mainly looking to add transparency (not brightness) and rhythm/PRAT (think ‘foot tapping’) to the single ended HD-600 sound.

Can you address these two characteristics specifically?
Big differences between SE and balanced regarding this?

thanks!

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #94 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems high cost for a plain jane amp. PS Audio would be a better amp for that kind of money.
mad.gif

I tend to agree.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #95 of 98
I did not discover this thread until today, but I have been interested in the purchase of a balanced amp for a long time. The rudistor surfaced a while back as an alternative to the headroom desktop balanced, but I could not find much discussion of rudistor.

Last spring, I bought Equinox balanced cables for my 600s and a SE adapter. They were expensive but it was like buying a new amp in terms of what it brought to the party, and delayed a purchase of a new amp. Eventually I bought a Meier Opera and the party went up another notch. I think the Meier is a fine amp, the best sound yet for me, and I wondered what balancing might add.

From reading this thread, it sounds like the Rudistor might indeed be an upgrade and I think I may bite. I may have to answer this question myself, but I cant help asking; has anyone experienced both these amps who can give some comparison.

Thanks to all who gave thoughtful input about their experience with the Rudistor. It is encouraging me to complete the balance.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #96 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not discover this thread until today, but I have been interested in the purchase of a balanced amp for a long time. The rudistor surfaced a while back as an alternative to the headroom desktop balanced, but I could not find much discussion of rudistor.

Last spring, I bought Equinox balanced cables for my 600s and a SE adapter. They were expensive but it was like buying a new amp in terms of what it brought to the party, and delayed a purchase of a new amp. Eventually I bought a Meier Opera and the party went up another notch. I think the Meier is a fine amp, the best sound yet for me, and I wondered what balancing might add.

From reading this thread, it sounds like the Rudistor might indeed be an upgrade and I think I may bite. I may have to answer this question myself, but I cant help asking; has anyone experienced both these amps who can give some comparison.

Thanks to all who gave thoughtful input about their experience with the Rudistor. It is encouraging me to complete the balance.

I thought the Opera has a balanced ground - just not in separate sockets for each channel?

If so... would there be a huge difference by adding the separate socket for each channel? Maybe some... but... perhaps, not as dramatic as with typical SE amps.

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #97 of 98
Gradofan2 wrote:

"thought the Opera has a balanced ground - just not in separate sockets for each channel?

If so... would there be a huge difference by adding the separate socket for each channel? Maybe some... but... perhaps, not as dramatic as with typical SE amps."

That's a better way of asking the question. Is the fully balanced mode of the Rudistor going to offer significant improvement over the balanced ground of the Opera. (After writing my last post, I listened for an hour or so to the Opera, noting that the imaging was great and sound had a kind of palpable naturalness that was very pleasing. Would the Rudistor better it?)

Id love to be able to compare them or to hear from someone who has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back