New Balanced SS Amplifier by RudiStor (NX-33)
Sep 4, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #76 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Now about the crosstalk, it is a common misconception about headphone listening, that you need a completelly and isolated two channel system, very extreme separation of channels in heapdhone listening is not a very good idea, you will get the unfamous blob in the head, that eveybody are trying to avoid, and the main reason why crosfeed exists. Ideally you need some flow of information from one channel to the other to create the right natural image in front of you, IMO it is waste of time to try to get the completelly independent two channel headphone amp, you need to mix the channels at some point in some way, similar to what the crosstalk does in some way, to create a natural feel and a natural soundstage, unless you are hearing all the time binaural recordings.
Also the unbalanced operation unless completelly dual mono, has the ground already mixed inside the amp, so running it along the cable that way, will not harm in any way the signal, it is already mixed, the crosstalk came already from the amp, and indeed it is measured most of the times on the amp, and not from the cables.

You cannot equate crossfeed with crosstalk. To be effective, crossfeed must be both delayed and equalized to approximate the HRTF. Crosstalk achieves neither of these aims. It is true that the apparent width of a stereo image can be reduced by simply mixing a small amount of the left channel with the right and vice versa; but this works only if the signals are in phase. The crosstalk created by resistance in a common ground circuit, however, is out of phase. This distorts the stereo image in much the same way as reversing the phase of one channel.

If you look at the graphs published in journals such as Stereophile, the measured crosstalk is attributable almost entirely to capacitive coupling between the channels. This is indicated by inter-channel coupling that rises at a rate of 6 dB per octave. The common mode crosstalk is not frequency dependent and effectively sets the minimum crosstalk level at low frequencies where capacitive coupling is vanishingly small. While dual-mono contruction greatly reduces both forms of crosstalk, a well-designed stereo amplifier will have sufficiently low ground resistances that "common mode" crosstalk will be reduced to negligible levels. This is especially true if so-called "star grounding" techniques have been employed.

Individual listeners vary in their sensitivity to extreme channel separation; indeed, one may postulate that it is possible to train oneself to accommodate what is, after all, the biggest difference between headphone and loudspeaker renditions. I personally am not troubled by the "two blobs" phenomenon except for certain recordings that deliberately set out to convey that sensation. In fact, one of the most important criteria by which I assess the worth of a headphone amplifier is its ability to portray a convincing soundstage. Having found amplifiers that excel in this area, I'm happy to do the vast majority of my listening without the benefit of crossfeed. I believe that it's the job of those responsible for microphone placement and final mixdown to ensure that a sufficient level of channel blend is present to facilitate the illusion of a broad and deep soundstage.

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #77 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
You cannot equate crossfeed with crosstalk. To be effective, crossfeed must be both delayed and equalized to approximate the HRTF. Crosstalk achieves neither of these aims. It is true that the apparent width of a stereo image can be reduced by simply mixing a small amount of the left channel with the right and vice versa; but this works only if the signals are in phase. The crosstalk created by resistance in a common ground circuit, however, is out of phase. This distorts the stereo image in much the same way as reversing the phase of one channel.

If you look at the graphs published in journals such as Stereophile, the measured crosstalk is attributable almost entirely to capacitive coupling between the channels. This is indicated by inter-channel coupling that rises at a rate of 6 dB per octave. The common mode crosstalk is not frequency dependent and effectively sets the minimum crosstalk level at low frequencies where capacitive coupling is vanishingly small. While dual-mono construction greatly reduces both forms of crosstalk, a well-designed stereo amplifier will have sufficiently low ground resistances that "common mode" crosstalk will be reduced to negligible levels. This is especially true if so-called "star grounding" techniques have been employed.

Individual listeners vary in their sensitivity to extreme channel separation; indeed, one may postulate that it is possible to train oneself to accommodate what is, after all, the biggest difference between headphone and loudspeaker renditions. I personally am not troubled by the "two blobs" phenomenon except for certain recordings that deliberately set out to convey that sensation. In fact, one of the most important criteria by which I assess the worth of a headphone amplifier is its ability to portray a convincing soundstage. Having found amplifiers that excel in this area, I'm happy to do the vast majority of my listening without the benefit of crossfeed. I believe that it's the job of those responsible for microphone placement and final mixdown to ensure that a sufficient level of channel blend is present to facilitate the illusion of a broad and deep soundstage.

Derek I never equate anything, I said that the way they treat the signal regarding the mixing of the two channels is similar, but just in that regard, the mixing, not the way they do it, not the non desirable side effects...but of course they are not the same, and crosstalk is not desirable in audio at all, crossfeed for headphone listening is, OTOH. Otherwise nobody would bother to create and study the crossfeed phenomena...And two manufacturers, with a lot of years in this field, and with prestige enough at least IMO, had develop such devices for long time...

Now regarding crossfeed, it is true that later recordings are done a lot better in that regard, and the separation is a lot more tolerable, specially while the mastering process is now focused mainly is headphone listening, with the new insertion of those new creations and portables in the market, almost every single of us has portable devices, and in the street all you see are kids with those the whole day. So they have to work for them in order to sell, but don't get confused, there is no way of physically create an speaker like presentation, using the same recording in both cases, without the use of crossfeed, that physically recreate what you actually listen in front of you...the physical mixing of the two channels via the air...BTW if you have a recording with bleeding there is also a component that will get mixed through the air regardless of the bleeding, that will make the soundstage more cohesive, and that component for small that it seems, in headphones listening, will be missing without the crossfeed...

We may argue about that the whole life, and some will even state that they feel that the crossfeed mess the signal and what is curious is that they get used easily to the separation and unnatural soundstage and can not tolerate the small differences in EQ, if any, that are a lot more tolerable if you ask me...For more info....

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=crossfeed

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=crossfeed

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #78 of 98
Hello,

I am digging into this old thread on head-fi to possibly get some more NX-33 balanced impressions...

I am myself currently using a RP5.1 to drive a pair of HD650 (with Equinox cable), but, coming from an electrostat sound (Stax SR-303 with all kind of amps), I am just missing some speed to the sound of the Senns (find them just a bit slow
tongue.gif
).

I however have to say I really really like the combo HD650 & RP5.1 (I only had it for a month) and feel no frustration at all when listening to music, compared with my former electrostat set up. The HD650 seems indeed to pair heavenly well with RP5.1, when my K501 curiously do not show ANY synergy with that same amp.

What could I expect if I upgrade from the RP5.1 to the NX-33 balanced... (my source is not balanced though) ? Would I get this additional control and speed I am looking but retaining the same current strengh (rich and organic sound, full, excellent imaging, good soundstage, accurate timbrical), or would it be a totally different sound I might not like (faster but thinner at the same time, overemphasis of details, etc...).

If anyone had the opportunity to experience such an upgrade, please feel free to share your impressions, they would be very welcome
beerchug.gif

Thank you,

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #79 of 98
Mmmm, not much interest as I can see... No balanced NX-33 owner in the room
redface.gif

I was looking for your impressions when going balanced with this specific amp and your HD650, and if possible, any comparison with the RP5.1.

Curiously, Rudi's amp are not so praised on this side of the ocean, though I have never read negative feedback from a RudiStor amp owner.

Thanks,

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #80 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, not much interest as I can see... No balanced NX-33 owner in the room
redface.gif

I was looking for your impressions when going balanced with this specific amp and your HD650, and if possible, any comparison with the RP5.1.

Curiously, Rudi's amp are not so praised on this side of the ocean, though I have never read negative feedback from a RudiStor amp owner.

Thanks,

I used to have an NX-33. It is an excellent amp that does everything you may expect from balanced amping: more detail, faster, more dynamic and better controlled sound.
I have an RPX-100 now.
atsmile.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #81 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have an NX-33. It is an excellent amp that does everything you may expect from balanced amping: more detail, faster, more dynamic and better controlled sound.
I have an RPX-100 now.
atsmile.gif

Thank you for your feedback Kees
tongue_smile.gif
The improvement you are describing are pretty much in line with what I am looking for, and it certainly looks very promising.

May I take the opportunity to ask you a few short questions, as former owner of a balanced NX-33 amp:

1. Do you think it is a correct asumption to say that the SE output of the NX-33 must be pretty similar to the NX-03.

2. Have you ever had the opportunity to hear the hybrid amps from Rudi (RP5.1 or RP7), and do you believe they are sharing the same sonic characteristics as their SS homologues. Bottom line is that the RP5.1 really matches very well with HD650 and I am worried that Rudi's SS amp lines is not showing as much synergy with the HD650 (Indeed, some prefer apparently to pair them with the K701, but my RP5.1 has NO synergy with K501 which makes me suscpicious).

3. How much does the HD650 scale up to your ears when going balanced with the NX-33, compared to the SE output. Is it a marginal improvement (3 to 4%) you have to focus to notice or a real step up (15 or 20%) which is turning the HD650 in a totally different cans (I read this comment a few time).

4. And last but not least, why did you feel the need to upgrade from NX-33 to the monster RPX-100... With the time, have you come across flaws in the NX-33 balanced sound.

Thanks a lot for all your comments,

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #82 of 98
Quote:

1. Do you think it is a correct asumption to say that the SE output of the NX-33 must be pretty similar to the NX-03.

I think so, but I couldn't say, because I never heard the NX-03. I was not extremely impressed with the single ended output of the NX-33 though, at least with the HD650.

Quote:

2. Have you ever had the opportunity to hear the hybrid amps from Rudi (RP5.1 or RP7), and do you believe they are sharing the same sonic characteristics as their SS homologues. Bottom line is that the RP5.1 really matches very well with HD650 and I am worried that Rudi's SS amp lines is not showing as much synergy with the HD650 (Indeed, some prefer apparently to pair them with the K701, but my RP5.1 has NO synergy with K501 which makes me suscpicious).

No, never heard them. I did look at them, and still do look at the RP7.3b sometimes. OTL ampe have great synergy with HD650. I know from experience with RSA Stealth and Earmax Pro.
The OTL make the HD650 sound very lifelike and lively, but not as fast and detailed as balanced amps do.
I have both combinations side by side and I plan keeping both.

Quote:

3. How much does the HD650 scale up to your ears when going balanced with the NX-33, compared to the SE output. Is it a marginal improvement (3 to 4%) you have to focus to notice or a real step up (15 or 20%) which is turning the HD650 in a totally different cans (I read this comment a few time).

It is a considerable step up. You don't have to look for the differences, it is very apparent.

Quote:

4. And last but not least, why did you feel the need to upgrade from NX-33 to the monster RPX-100... With the time, have you come across flaws in the NX-33 balanced sound.

The RPX-100 is better, no doubt, but the main reason is that I use the RPX-100 as a preamp in my speaker system. It is a superb preamp. The NX-33 does not have this function.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #83 of 98
Thanks a lot for all this usefull information
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
No, never heard them. I did look at them, and still do look at the RP7.3b sometimes. OTL ampe have great synergy with HD650. I know from experience with RSA Stealth and Earmax Pro.
The OTL make the HD650 sound very lifelike and lively, but not as fast and detailed as balanced amps do.
I have both combinations side by side and I plan keeping both.

Mmm, so balanced set up seems to take over OTL design, both excellent for HD650... This is excellent news indeed
tongue.gif

Quote:

It is a considerable step up. You don't have to look for the differences, it is very apparent

Again, excellent news...

Quote:

The RPX-100 is better, no doubt, but the main reason is that I use the RPX-100 as a preamp in my speaker system. It is a superb preamp. The NX-33 does not have this function.

Waow, so its a functional flaw rather than a sonic flaw. Again, this balanced NX-33 looks perfect for my needs (no speaker set up for many more years to come, so no need of the preamp function).

Well, only thing left now is to give it a try. I am really curious of hearing that balanced set up. Hope I will have the opportunity soon enough.

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #85 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just a case of changing cables or does something have to be done inside to the 650's to make them balanced?

Unplug the old cable, plug in the balanced cable and you're ready to go.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #86 of 98
I just received 2 days ago my NX-33 sold by Sovkiller (thanks again for the great care)
wink.gif

This unit is the demo unit used at CanJam 08 (rewired for EU voltage), so I guess already broken in. However, the balanced cables I ordered from RudiStor (BX-65) are new, and need probably some break in period.

It is still too early to think of a review, but first impressions are extremely positive -to say the least - when balancing the HD650.

I have to say that the NX-33 SE output sound was quite in line with the RudiStor RP5.1 (some slight differences down to personal preferences, but apparently no clear superiority of one or the other). I did not proceed to extensive listening sessions though to compare both. I agree with Kees here that while both seems to sound good, none is trully impressive.

However, balancing the HD650 with the NX-33 is a really huge step forward in quality compared to both RP5.1 and NX-33 SE. For me, it is the biggest improvement I have experimented so far with new gear. My Lambda SR-303 never changed that much depsite powering them with 5 different amplifiers.

I am trully impressed by the overall quality and response of the HD650. I read often that they scale up very well, but I was not prepared for that. As example, I have to say that the resolution of the HD650 balanced with NX-33 is far superior to the Lambda SR-303 in my previous set up (Manley Stingray and Illusion). The Lambda resolution might improve a little with some top quality dedicated amp (Blue Hawai maybe), but this consideration is already stunning me. And this is just an example. Many other aspect of the restitution have improved so much (bass control, 3D imaging...) that I am starting to really enjoy the HD650.

I definitely need to spend some more time with the NX-33 to complete this first impressions.

Thanks for reading,

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #89 of 98
Yes, very significant.

I miss some higher end reference to compare the sound of the HD650 balanced with other set up, but the NX-33 definitely sounds like a really good mate for HD650 considering its price.

However, since balancing seems to be less effective with other headphones, I guess it can be recommended mainly to HD650/HD600 owners.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #90 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE output is very poor in my opinion, it hardly drove my HD650's.

The balanced output is a lot better but still didn't move mountains for me.

Mmm, sounds interesting, what is your current reference then to move the HD650...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back