New balanced portable amp from RSA w/ DAC!
Nov 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #151 of 258
It's interesting cuz I just sold my Predator and Intruder, only keeping the Protector 
biggrin.gif
 Performance-wise, they were pretty much in same level to my ears, except the high power of the Intruder. The soundstage of the Intruder was a bit larger than the Protector's, but that was it. I'm extremely disappointed with the DAC sections of the Predator and Intruder. My Predator could only work with foobar2000 by DS mode, and only WASAPI for my Intruder.  Probably because my setup was not so good, with the iBasso D12 as DAC and I only have the HD600/HE500 for the comparison.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #152 of 258
Quote:
Question will be: when listening High-Res track, is there a significant audible advantage using a 24/192 capable DAC like the SOLO -dB to feed it instead of it's 16/48 internal DAC ...
This 16/48 is really à concern because adding à SOLO -dB Will double the cost and bulk of the solution to carry With my Mac Book air
Also i am VERY interested to know if, With the SOLO, the Intruder will sound better than the ALO Rx MK3 or SR 71b
Also can you tell me what is the voltage needed to recharge it ?

I don't own any of the ALO products and this is the only RSA product I own.  I don't find any use for 24/192.  Some HDTracks I have are 24/96, but I think for ALL practical purposes I will stick with The Redbook Standard.  There are many resources available to discuss the merits of the RB standard and I am tending to agree
wink_face.gif

I still continue the burn-in process and am very pleasantly surprised that it keeps sounding better every time I put my HP on.
The back of the charger of my Intruder states 16.8V.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #153 of 258
The sample rate limit actually was my biggest problem with the Intruder. I used the Intruder with foobar2000, and it only worked in WASAPI mode. So I didn't work for any 24/96 or 24/192 tracks that I have. This would be a problem if you plan to use the Intruder as an USB DAC with foobar2000.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #154 of 258
Can't seem to decide among the following three portable amps: RX Mk III, 71-B, and Intruder. Will be using JHA 13 Pro and I sometimes listen at low levels. Any hiss will be unacceptable which is my primary concern with RX MK III. 71-B is reportedly exceptional, but I really like what I've heard about the ALO bass knob. Intruder sounds compelling because of the DAC, but the choice of 16-bit is a head-scratcher given that we're talking about a flagship (portable) model; especially knowing how keen folks are to be able to take just one truly high-end amp/DAC on the road.

Guessing I'll need to buy one or more of the amps and try them for myself which tips the scales towards the RX Mk III due to the 30-day return policy and 71-B because it can be purchased used and then sold at less of a loss than if I went with the Intruder. The Intruder seemingly makes more sense, but I haven't heard an RSA amp before and don't like the idea of incurring much of a loss should I not like it right off the bat. It's a shame we must purchase and drive the new amp off the lot in order to conveniently take it for a test drive. That said, I understand the economics and logistics of it from Ray's standpoint. Oh, the trials and tribulations of high-end audio. I guess there are worse problems to have.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #155 of 258
Quote:
Can't seem to decide among the following three portable amps: RX Mk III, 71-B, and Intruder. Will be using JHA 13 Pro and I sometimes listen at low levels. Any hiss will be unacceptable which is my primary concern with RX MK III. 71-B is reportedly exceptional, but I really like what I've heard about the ALO bass knob. Intruder sounds compelling because of the DAC, but the choice of 16-bit is a head-scratcher given that we're talking about a flagship (portable) model; especially knowing how keen folks are to be able to take just one truly high-end amp/DAC on the road.
Guessing I'll need to buy one or more of the amps and try them for myself which tips the scales towards the RX Mk III due to the 30-day return policy and 71-B because it can be purchased used and then sold at less of a loss than if I went with the Intruder. The Intruder seemingly makes more sense, but I haven't heard an RSA amp before and don't like the idea of incurring much of a loss should I not like it right off the bat. It's a shame we must purchase and drive the new amp off the lot in order to conveniently take it for a test drive. That said, I understand the economics and logistics of it from Ray's standpoint. Oh, the trials and tribulations of high-end audio. I guess there are worse problems to have.

I feel you. I dont't know any place I can test run unless I go local meet or some festival maybe (and hopefully someone actually nice enough letting me listen to it :D) and these amps are not cheap (well at least to me) to make a decision quick. Plus, I am not a big fan of "burn in", but folks with experience in RSA amp (or ALO) suggest good amount of burn in hours. So it makes more things complicated to make a decision since you wouldnt know early enough... All I can do was read as much as in forum to find out "house sound" of company, and read review / impression from different people who might have similar taste in the music (and setup). This is not how I like to shop anything, but hey, that's all I can think of when I was about to get a portable amp...

I made the similar comparison as you did between 3 amps. ALO offer good return policy (guarantee 30 days) and combo deal with CLAS -dB. And so far I hear good customer experience with ALO. I feel they are not just making good amp or cable but in good business mind. Also, I hear things about bass knob, and it is quite attractive thing to have if you listen certain genres. However, I was sold to RSA product with history of making good portable amp and their "house sound" And about that time, RSA just started preorder for Intruder at the same price as 71b! I personally did pre-order Intruder. It was offered at the same price as 71B but I am getting a new amp plus USB DAC! Since I am planning to use a lot in office, I think this is something I would like to have. Of course, it will be nice if it is iDevice like Centrance M8 (except the size, I really want to try this as well once it is released!) or Fostex, but for now, good enough for me.

Now, I have my intruder for a while, and as a newbie it took me some time to get things around (I didnt really get USB and SE/Balanced connect toggle much in the beginning... >_<) but so far, I can see the improvement in my listening. I listen anything even KPOP! But lately, I have been going through my old Jazz and Rock CD a lot. So far, I am very happy with what Intruder add to my listening.

Since I am new and I dont have experience in other amp, I cannot personally make any suggestion... but my 2 cents is even my gf who thought that I just threw the money out of window by getting Intruder and some cans (not getting her any goods!) now so much enjoy listening to it. Now she wants one as well :D

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #156 of 258
So, we are quite a few hesitating between INTRUDER, SR71b & Rx MK3, and also... disappointed by the 16/48 limitation of the Intruder's DAC !  Any help will be welcomed to make the right choice... :)

Also, can someone tell us Why the Intruder's DAC does not work with the iPad CCK and is there a fix to get around this ? 

thanks

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #157 of 258
Why don't you take a try and tell us your experience? Seriously, those are pretty expensive portable amps as well as people have very different preferences, so I don't expect someone to have them all to give you such advice. Just decide what do you want (functionality, sound characteristics etc.) and go from there.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #159 of 258
No many listening feedback no that the unit is shipping ?!

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #160 of 258
can anyone besides dorallikesmath confirm that the intruder only runs at 16/48? perhaps his config is off or something so i'd to hear it from someone else as well.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #162 of 258
ok cool.

is this also the reason why some say the DAC in the Leckerton isnt very good? that too is only 16/48 thru USB.

looks like I may go with a Pan AM possibly.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #163 of 258
Quote:
ok cool.
is this also the reason why some say the DAC in the Leckerton isnt very good? that too is only 16/48 thru USB.
looks like I may go with a Pan AM possibly.

Numbers don't tell the entire story. A DAC isn't necessarily better just because it supports higher bit/sample rates.

But yes, I too would have appreciated at least 24/96 support so I wouldn't have to downsample.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #164 of 258
Quote:

Numbers don't tell the entire story. A DAC isn't necessarily better just because it supports higher bit/sample rates.

But yes, I too would have appreciated at least 24/96 support so I wouldn't have to downsample.

Hopefully his standalone portable DAC will support hires but it's true about the numbers and from all the reviews and impressions I've read it seems Ray has a gift for getting incredible sound from less than TOTL internal components. If only I could afford anything of his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back