New baby coming
Apr 30, 2004 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
A baby O that is
tongue.gif

I just pulled the trigger on the baby Orpheus as I was really getting curious about the sound of electrostats
orphsmile.gif

By the way can you somebody give me info about how they sound? Haven't been able to get much information here about how they compare to the stax earspeakers. As the search is down I tried using google to to search head-fi but it didn't come up with much.

Thanks for any info
Rohit

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 14
Nice start into the stats. I can't comment on how they sound, but here's to hoping you like them and will post some comments on them once you do. Post a simple set of thoughts on how they sound. Nothing fancy; nothing perfectly worded. Just stop by and tell us what you hear.

Apr 30, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Congrats on the new arrival, rawhit. You are in for a treat.

You didn't mention, but I assume you will be driving with the HEV70 amplifier, no?

To me, the HE60/HEV70 combo sounded lightning fast, accurate, and had surprisingly full bass. The only fault I could find was an occaisional shrillness in treble with badly recorded material - very rare, and not glaring.

The HE60 headphones are very comfortable, and the sound is so sweet, even at low volume levels, that one can listen for hours without fatigue.

I can only imagine how well the HE60 would sound with a kgss or other aftermarket amplifier.

Apr 30, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Doug,
Will post some impressions when I get a hang of their sonic signature. Unfortunately I will be leaving for a business trip next week and it will be some time before I can really play around with them.

agile_one,
thanks for the impressions. Your comments have made the waiting period all the more harder
tongue.gif

Right now I will be driving them with the HEV-70. Looks like I gotta start saving for the KGSS already
icon10.gif
. I hope the baby O system stacks up well against the HP1/MPX3 combo which I am enjoying a lot these days.
By the way were you able to compare the HE-60 to the stax headphones? How is the soundstage of these headphones?

cheers
Rohit

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Rohit,

Did you get a 2nd hand used one? These headphones intruige me. I liked them when I heard them at a meet. Although I vowed to maintain only one headphone system, I don't know what would happen if I saw them at a good price.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Although I vowed to maintain only one headphone system, I don't know what would happen if I saw them at a good price.
orphsmile.gif

I know what would happen.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I know what would happen.
very_evil_smiley.gif

ahh! I was considering buying the pair you got from Tom when he had them for sale. Look what happened when I waited
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 14
Congrats rawhit, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Congrats on the new arrival, rawhit. You are in for a treat.

You didn't mention, but I assume you will be driving with the HEV70 amplifier, no?

To me, the HE60/HEV70 combo sounded lightning fast, accurate, and had surprisingly full bass. The only fault I could find was an occaisional shrillness in treble with badly recorded material - very rare, and not glaring.

The HE60 headphones are very comfortable, and the sound is so sweet, even at low volume levels, that one can listen for hours without fatigue.

I can only imagine how well the HE60 would sound with a kgss or other aftermarket amplifier.

Exactly how I think about them.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 14
lan,
the baby O system is NOS. The HEV-70 is wired for US voltage so I will have to use a step down transformer to use it at home.

Hirsch,
how do you find the HE-60 compared to the stax headphones? Also do they sound much better with the 007t than with a HEV-70?

Spent&Bent
Thanks. I do hope that this system sounds enjoyable.
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Either something was wrong with AndreYew's HE60/HEV70's, or my impressions are that the Baby O's are very thin and lean on bass compared to Stax 404 and especially the Omega II's. And there was an ridiculous amount of left and right separation (those blobs) that made me feel that the Baby O need crossfeed.
I have not heard the HE60's on other amps, only on it's partner, the HEV70.

-Ed

May 1, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 14
The sad part is that I knew you were referring to a baby O the second I read it, even before I clicked on it and you revealed the joke.

Darn you, Head-Fi!!!!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your phones!

May 1, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I really was digging the Baby O's at the last grado labs meetinmg I went to, but they were hooked up to a Stax amp, they haven't didn't sound too hot off their own amp. So if you don't like them, try upgrading to a new beefer amp.

Damn u guys...I haven't even received the system and you people are already tempting me to buy a new amp
tongue.gif

KR,
Will definitely remember your advice to check these out on a different amp if I dont like the sound
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back