https://austrian.audio/hi-x65/

Frequency range: 5 Hz – 28 kHz
Sensitivity: 110 dBspl/V
THD (@ 1kHz): < 0.1%
Impedance: 25 Ω
Input Power: 150 mW
2 Cables (detachable): 3 m + 1.2 m
Connector: 3.5 mm (1/8”)
Adapter (included): 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm (1/8” to 1/4")
Dimensions: 200 x 170 x 85 mm
Weight (without cable): 310 g

More coming soon. I still have to complete and translate the first test report!

Attachments

• 1 Karton Hi-X65.jpg
    1 Karton Hi-X65.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2 in Karton Hi-X65.jpg
    2 in Karton Hi-X65.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3 Kopfhörer Hi-X65.jpg
    3 Kopfhörer Hi-X65.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4 Kabeln Hi-X65.jpg
    4 Kabeln Hi-X65.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 281
Folded:

Attachments

• 5 zusammengefaltet Hi-X65.jpg
    5 zusammengefaltet Hi-X65.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 6 zusammengefaltet Hi-X65.jpg
    6 zusammengefaltet Hi-X65.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 281
First impressions:
I think the storage box is very good for this price range.
Headphone good workmanship for this class, good size, good fit.
Two connection cables of different lengths are included, jack plugs 3.5mm and 6.35mm suitable (adapter included).
Warm, bright sound, noticeably less emphasized sibilants on certain tracks compared to K812.

Partly a comparison between Hi-X65 and K812 - of course it's a comparison between classes.

Some of the music I've heard so far:

Concord Jazz SACD Sampler Vol2 - heard the whole SACD - one track from it.
Tr.12 Silent Pool - K812 resolves piano touches more finely - (noticeable in a direct comparison), the Hi-X65 sounds a bit fuller, warmer.
With the K812 you notice even the finest nuances, the Hi-X56 is more "rounded", but sounds quite pleasant and doesn't tire you when you listen to it.

The Ray Brown Trio, Live in the LOA - listened to the whole SACD - one track from it
Tr.3 Li'l Darlin
Incl. - broom strokes on snare drum - comes across realistically even with the Hi-X65, with the K812 you can hear every hair (don't forget the price difference!), every subtle nuance, but the Hi-X65 is still top in its price class. This also applies to the piano in this piece. The K812 sometimes lets itself get carried away with a hint of sharpness (despite the mounted mesh) - a tribute to the increased resolution through frequency exaggeration?

TELARC SACD Sampler 3 - entire SACD heard
Piano sounds somewhat fuller, warmer (perhaps a little poorer in detail) with Hi-X65 than with K812 - still very appealing.

Yun-Tian He, Mystical Scent, Magic of Himalayas - complete SACD heard
Label: Wind, XRCD
https://www.discogs.com/de/何訓田-神香-Mystical-Scent/release/2333738
Especially track 1 - Sacred Book - the Hi-X65 delivers the powerful low bass of the huge drums just as the K812 does, even if "coloured" a little differently, i.e. warmer, fuller. Detto, the sharp creaking of the long Tibetan horns (Dung Chen) comes across just as realistically as the prayer murmur of the Tibetan monks.

Monks Of Dip Tse Chok L - Tibetan Mysteries - listen to entire CD
https://www.discogs.com/Monks-Of-The-Dip-Tse-Chok-Ling-Monastery-Tibetan-Mysteries/release/2431773
Track 1 - After the monks' prayer murmurs, the beat on "brass" comes out of nowhere, sharp and then the use of the Tibetan horns (Dung Chen) - this piece fully challenges the transient strength! With the Hi-X65, brass, horns, bells seem closer - but with a force you rarely hear. Without any audible distortion, even when turned up louder.
What these two Asian CDs bring across in terms of transients, dynamics, low bass, is rarely found in the field of rock & pop!

Direct comparison between the Hi-X65 and the K712 (same price range) - the K712 sounds noticeably darker and duller.
The Hi-X65 has almost the same sound balance as the K812, but it doesn't quite reach the same level of detail and resolution.
In general, the stage of the Hi-X65 is not as wide as that of the K812, there is also less "air" between instruments and performers.
The Hi-X65 also seems a bit warmer.

Again, don't forget the price difference between the Hi-X65 and the K812! In its price range, the Hi-X65 is certainly a hit! It's certainly worth a listen!

I will add to this bit by bit!
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

May 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 281
Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971) The Firebird (L'Oiseau de feu) + Le Sacre du Printemps, Mariss Jansons, Concertgebouw Orchestra
Super Audio CD
Sound format: stereo & multichannel (Hybrid)
Artist: Concertgebouw Orchestra, Mariss Jansons
Label: RCOLive, DDD, 2006/07
L'Oiseau de feu (Track 1, Introduction) contains some passages that demand everything from the sound transducers with the brute force of a full orchestra!
Le Sacre du Printemps - This composition also contains a lot of dynamics, brute force, deep and powerful drums and timpani.
Hi-X65 mastered both with flying colours! Always cross-checked with the K812.

Again two orchestral pieces which let us feel the brute force of the full effort.
Dimitri Shostakovich / Symphony No. 8 / Concertgebouw Orchestra / Haitink
Artist: Concertgebouw Orchestra, Haitink Label: Decca , DDD, 1982
(A brief digression) Dimitri Shostakovich is an exceptional composer who manifests his mood with sometimes "garish colours (tones)" and "abysmal depth". He lived as a Russian composer at the time of the Soviets (Lenin. Stalin) in St. Peterburg and Moscow. Did he use sounds to communicate what he thought of the Sovjet leadership?
Now for track 3 (one of my favourites!) - 2 Allegro moderato. This piece challenges sound transducers with its hard-hitting, dynamic, sometimes very loud entries. No matter if it's drums, timpani, trumpets, horns, chello, bass violins. The Hi-X65 also lets you feel the sometimes depicted (in track 4) darkness. I don't find any weakness in the Hi-X65 to portray all this! The room is not as wide as with the K812, the distances between the groups of musicians are narrower, the musicians closer. Nevertheless, the Hi-X65 lets you feel the brute force (at the end of track 3 you hear excessive hissing from the cymbals with the K812, but not with the Hi-X65).

Camille Saint-Saens (1835-1921) Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony".
Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Artists: Preston, Berlin PO, Levine
Label: DGG , DDD, 1986
Track 4 - Full use of the organ, no problem to transport these mighty tones to the ear / here I turned the volume down a few times to just tolerable levels, no problem for the Hi-X65.

A final note - don't think that the Hi-X65 will swallow the subtleties of the sound, as they will be partially obscured by the narrowness of the room.

At a price of around €350 ($350,-?), these headphones are worth keeping an eye on and testing out for yourself when the opportunity arises!

Listening carefully tires me out, now I'm going to chill with Hilliard Ensemble & Jan Garbarek - Officium!

May 15, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 281
How does the frequency response compare to the Hi-X55?
I quite liked the X55 but the tuning is not for everybody and I think the balance is a bit weird. Oratory1990 Hi-X55

I own both Hi-X55 and Hi-X65 - they sound very different.
The sound balance and character of the Hi-X65 is more similar to the K812.
Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment to map the frequency response.
But only my ears! :)

May 15, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 281
Now let's listen to a few pieces of music (CDs) outside the mainstream - mostly blues by local musicians, including an old acquaintance from AKG Vienna times (he was in the service there), Michael Amon as a musician, recording engineer and producer - and the music scene around Hermann Posch (one of the greats of the Austrian blues scene) and a great Austrian artist Joe Zawinul!

* Peter Schrammel blues, feat. Stella Jones.
It includes my favourite piece "Certain Feeling" with Hermann Posch.

* Fall in Blues, Love Sick
Every voice, every instrument sits in the right place, just a little closer in the circle, closer and a touch warmer, fuller than with the K812.
Bass punchy; mids balanced; treble clear, not obtrusive.

* Joe Zawinul + the Zawinul syndicate - world tour (2 CDs)
CD2 track 5 "Success" the bell ringing on the K812 is a bit more spacious, more air between the bells.

* Joe Zawinul - My People!
Legendary - Track 8 "Erdäpfel Blues" (Potato Blues)

Just enjoyed the above CDs with the Hi-X65!

Especially with jazz and blues I often have the impression that with the K812 I am sitting in the front row centre front of the stage in a hall, in front of the stage the performers are spread out with space in between, with the Hi-X65 in a jazz bar or cellar I am also sitting in the front row centre front.
This does not change the musical quality of the two performances - they just sound slightly different. The distance between the Hi-X65 and the K812 is smaller than between one of the AKG K/Q7xx models and the K812.

What I now notice after a longer period of intensive listening is that the Hi-X65 sits almost perfectly on the head, you don't even notice that you have headphones on, despite a long listening session! Its weight is low, the pads are soft, cuddly and you hardly notice them.

Still open: Violin concerts, ROCK&POP e.g. Pink Floyd, Steve Vai - Sound Theories I & II, Quincy Jones - Back On The Block, Voices - singers, etc. etc.
Everything at once and all at the same time is simply not possible! With over 500 CDs, many of which are good for tests, it's not easy! In between, I just want to enjoy the music!

May 19, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 281
So the HI-X65 is the version better suited to casual listening? Nice!

May 26, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 281
What I now notice after a longer period of intensive listening is that the Hi-X65 sits almost perfectly on the head, you don't even notice that you have headphones on, despite a long listening session! Its weight is low, the pads are soft, cuddly and you hardly notice them.

Hi, thank you very much for the specific sound review.
And the mention about the comfortability also sounds nice! At least the clamp and the cushion are fine.
Is the pads glued? Or easily exchangeable?
I want to know how breathable you felt compared to K812 and others like 650 or 660s, if you have ever used them.
I am considering this one for long-time use, so the subjective temperature matters me.

May 26, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 281
I am extremely curious to see how the HI-X65 would comparedl to the Focal Clear and Clear MG. Reading the above review and comparison of the HI-X65 Vs the K812. I had very similar finding of the Focal Clear Vs K812. The K812 was the more clinical, detailed very accurate headphone. But lacked the musicality and overall emotion of the Focal Clear. The HI-X65 seem to put a serious fight against the K812. The K812 may have a touch more micro detail, resolution/clarity and soundstage. But it's not a massive step up.... especially considering the price of the HI-X65. One thing for sure is I do know the HI-X65 has seriously fast drivers, due to my experience of the X55. Could the HI-X65 be a similar headphone to the Focal Clear at a much much much more aproachable price 😮

May 26, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 281
I own both Hi-X55 and Hi-X65 - they sound very different.
The sound balance and character of the Hi-X65 is more similar to the K812.
Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment to map the frequency response.
But only my ears! :)

You described the sound of the x65's as warm and bright, ???
Ummmm, what?
That is sort of like saying something is wet and dry :)

....and that is not the sound of the K812.
The only thing warm about the 812, is your ears from the cup heat, but otherwise, those things are treble murder.

May 28, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 281
I am extremely curious to see how the HI-X65 would comparedl to the Focal Clear and Clear MG. Reading the above review and comparison of the HI-X65 Vs the K812. I had very similar finding of the Focal Clear Vs K812. The K812 was the more clinical, detailed very accurate headphone. But lacked the musicality and overall emotion of the Focal Clear. The HI-X65 seem to put a serious fight against the K812. The K812 may have a touch more micro detail, resolution/clarity and soundstage. But it's not a massive step up.... especially considering the price of the HI-X65. One thing for sure is I do know the HI-X65 has seriously fast drivers, due to my experience of the X55. Could the HI-X65 be a similar headphone to the Focal Clear at a much much much more aproachable price 😮

Yup, the X55 is a super quick headphone in its transients. Very electrostat like presentation.

May 29, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 281

Attachments

• HI-X65 vs. 55.jpg
    HI-X65 vs. 55.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back