New - Austrian Audio Hi-X65
Sep 16, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 281
So I've been using these for a few months already and so far it's a mixed bag for me. The TLDR is that :
- I don't like the default sound at all, for reasons that can be explained by on-head FR measurements.
- That being the case I find them strangely EQable, and right after creating an EQ profile, they are among my favourite HPs ever if not my favourite...
- but only for a short while as I have the impression that I'm having one of the worst "pads break in period" I've experienced so far, making this a constantly moving goalpost with, so far, no end in sight.

I've been practicing in situ, on head FR measurements for a few months and have found them useful to help in EQing headphones and to provide some plausible hypothesis in regards to the causes of my subjective impressions.

A first thing to note is that I've tried (and measured) several of them because of various QC issues. One sample for example arrived with a poorly assembled yoke, that would "grate" on the cup's plastic :
Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 08.29.55.png

The one I decided to keep has a slightly asymmetrical headband arc shape, and one of the pads was poorly assembled :
Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 08.29.48.png

I've received new pads from Austrian Audio via mail as a replacement.

So, my on-head measurements :

Using mic number 2 in that photo :
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 19.11.38.png

I'm getting somewhat decently low seatings to seatings variation during the same session (by "session" I mean that the mics weren't moved between the measurements), for example :
Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 11.45.08.png

Five individual traces.
Not as good as some other headphones, but not too bad.
A pair of HPs with low on-head seatings to seatings variation (which is not the same thing as low variation when doing spatial averaging on a test rig) is a pair that provides repeatable measurements, and hence can be EQed quite precisely.

Comparing them on my head with mic number 1 above (top traces) and 2 (bottom traces) vs the HD560S, HD650 with Dekoni Elite Velour pads (not comparable to stock HD650), and H400SE, I'm getting this :
Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 08.50.42.png

Averages of five traces during the same session (session means the mic wasn't moved between the HPs measurements), right channel only. X65 in turquoise, HD560S in blue, HD650 with Dekoni pads in orange, H400SE in dark fuchsia.

Please note :

- these measurements were done on my own head. Using the exact same methodology and instruments on your head may produce different results. These comparative results are not valid for you, they're just a way to illustrate my own experience.

- the probe mic, which is a small tube which orifice lands near my eardrum, is calibrated against a UMIK-1 in very near field conditions with a speaker. The results are uncompensated otherwise. It is a DIY attempt to get something similar to this : https://www.etymotic.com/product/er-7c/

- the absolute values are incorrect, so you can't say "5672Hz is 3.2dB higher than 3289Hz" - it's not that inaccurate for the probe, but shouldn't be trusted.

- the relative values between the four headphones have a degree of inexactitude that depends on seatings to seatings repeatability on my own head, sample variation, pads wear, pads warming up over the measurement session, the repeatability of the measurement method, the relevance of each measurement method for the application. You can't say "At 7629Hz headphones A are 7.45dB higher than headphones B", but rather "at around 7600Hz headphones A are around 7-8dB higher than headphones B", and it more specifically depends on each specific headphones for specific parts of the FR (I don't have the same degree of confidence in the 2-4kHz region for HPs A vs B as in the 4-6kHz region for HPs C vs D for example).

- The blocked ear canal entrance relative measurements aren't quite as trustworthy as the probe in the 2-4kHz region and most likely useless above 7kHz. Using the HD650 as a reference and plotting the difference with the other headphones I tend to get a pretty good agreement between mic 1 and 2 below 2kHz and between 4-7kHz (in the latter range mind the fact that it's the area where the X65 shows some seatings to seatings variation) :
Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 08.49.31.png

The difference in the 2-4kHz region can be explained by the ear canal being blocked with mic 2. Above 7kHz they substantially disagree but some specific listening tests make me think that the probe is more trustworthy (I can't find a single transfer function for the blocked ear canal mics that consistently accurately locate the peaks in that range, while the probe as is consistently does so, and the probe is more consistent in terms of relative differences between headphones in that range from session to session, while the slightest modification of the insertion depth of the blocked canal mic changes the relative differences between HPs). Above 10kHz both methods are useless so far.

So the short version is that for me their on-head response differs quite a bit from Oratory or HeadphoneTestLab's measurements (particularly the elevated response at around 6kHz), but that similarly to them, while the peaks / dips tend to be quite significant in magnitude, they all have a symmetrical slopes and none of them are of the really high-Q and difficult to correct kind. Like HeadphoneTestLab's measurements I seem to not get too much in the way of sharp resonances. In fact I'm tempted to think that they may have the cleanest, least "intrinsically" resonant response I've measured so far.

I don't think that the discrepancy between my on-head and Oratory / Headphoneteslab's measurements (for example the significant 6kHz peak) is caused by sample variation. At least not to that degree. This is two different X65 samples during the same measurement session (the two bottom traces) :
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 22.28.14.png

Five individual traces for each, right channel.
Perhaps it's related to how they sit on my head vs. your typical test rig. I have a pretty extreme case of "wide temple + wide jaw + narrow neck" and the X65's design magnifies that issue :
Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 19.05.19.png

The cups are quite significantly tilted upwards and rearwards, nearly hitting the limits of the yoke's range of motion in both cases. The large inner hole of the pads makes this worse as geometrically speaking it means that the lower rear quadrant sits further from my ear lobe in an even more depressed area.
This also means that the foam above the driver caresses my ears and may slightly deform my pinna.
Seal is, however, excellent.
Anyway, these are just idea thrown out there, I don't really know why.

So, theoretically only a few filters would make short work of these problems. And indeed it does to my utmost satisfaction - in fact post EQ they're among my favourite HPs so far - ... but only for a short while.

I was finding myself regularly in need to fine tune the EQ profile I made based on these measurements. Luck would have it I've been regularly measuring headphones with the exact same protocol around once a week in an effort to gather data en masse, and pulling all my X65's measurements done with the blocked ear canal mics highlighted a pretty significant issue : these may have one of the worst cases of "pads break-in" I've experienced yet.
This is the X65 compared to the HD650 with Dekoni Elite Velour pads (again, not comparable to stock) during the same period. The HD650's Dekoni pads were installed a couple weeks prior so not a direct 1:1 comparison of pads break in though :
Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 20.49.59.png

What you're seeing here :
- each trace is an average of five individual seatings taken during the same measurement session.
- X65 at the top, HD650 with Dekoni pads at the bottom, both L and R channels. Please do note that these on-head measurements are inadequate to properly assess L/R channel matching.
- X65's L channel in fuchsia, R channel in turquoise.
- each measurement session was roughly a week apart. Both are my most used headphones at home so while I haven't logged the hours they both were pretty heavily used in that time.

The HD650 + Dekoni pads seems to have remained superbly stable in all that time (and it seems that the blocked ear canal measurements show decent repeatability for absolute values up to 7kHz or so).
The X65's variation in FR is directly correlated with measurement date. The 1600kHz dip has filled up over time (black arrow). The L channel seems to have departed from the earlier measurements further below 1kHz (red arrows). It's difficult to know why, but this is the pad that shows some deterioration of the fabric lining (cf. photo early in this post). While this seems correlated, I'm not certain that there is a causal relationship here.

So while the X65 is very EQable short term, that makes the X65 so far actually impossible to EQ long-term, as it's a constantly shifting goalpost. What worries me is that it has yet to reach stability.

I have yet to install the newer pads, but will do so I think quite soon, as well as installing new Dekoni pads on my HD650, and I'll repeat with more regularity these "pads break-in" measurements while trying to log in the hours. I may also get a completely new pair of Hi-X65 and compare all three.

That problem in the end is what may do it for me in terms of not keeping the X65 long term.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #32 of 281

Attachments

• hi-x65-vs-55_1101053.jpg
    hi-x65-vs-55_1101053.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #35 of 281
Ok. Very quick impressions.

Build is great and solid. What I am loving so far is how light they are, very very light. Earpads are roomy, I have no issues with build and comfort. All top notch.

Sound.
With no eq, they are pretty impressive. Heaps of detail, and I mean heaps. There is no headphone under $1000 that I have heard that has this much detail. The clarity is amazing as well. Extremely impressive. I am hearing what Oratory measured. Slight sub bass roll off. Slight mid bass bump. Slightly enhanced yet well balanced lower mids. A rolled dip after 1k then a lift around 2k and good energy there on after. It's a slight bright neutral headphone with insane technicalities far exceeding its price range. But that roll down after 1k some may find strange or a bit wonky. I myself find the HI-X65 listenable without eq and its actually not bad sounding. It's pretty good. I like it. Imaging is some of the best imaging I have ever heard. And the separation I am hearing is truly amazing. There is so much clarity. Very very impressive. I'd give it a quick 7.5/10 with no eq.

With EQ.

FUARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Yeah, I really needed a few minutes after listening to Tool - Invincible to just come back to earth and regain my senses.
The amount of detail this headphone is capable of is mind blowing. Not even a EQd Focal Clear has this much detail. It's crazy. The depth, the clairty, the imaging, the separation, the transients, the speed and dynamics of this headphone is unimaginable in a headphone under $1000. But yet here we are. This is not new toy syndrome. This is me genuinly being impressed like never before. Now the only fault I can say is yes, it sounds so much better with eq. But I can honestly say that with all headphones.... I'm not sure how they'll hold up long term. Seem some people have also had QC issues. But if you are open to EQ. Give these headphones a try.

Obviously this is my own opinion, we all hear differently. But I am truly amazed with what I am hearing. The HI-X65 has easily became my new favourite headphone to listen to. More impressions to come and more detailed comparisons in the near future. And yes, I mean FUARK!!! With eyes wide open, mouth wide open and myself in pure ecstasy

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #36 of 281
Ok. Very quick impressions.

Build is great and solid. What I am loving so far is how light they are, very very light. Earpads are roomy, I have no issues with build and comfort. All top notch.

Sound.
With no eq, they are pretty impressive. Heaps of detail, and I mean heaps. There is no headphone under $1000 that I have heard that has this much detail. The clarity is amazing as well. Extremely impressive. I am hearing what Oratory measured. Slight sub bass roll off. Slight mid bass bump. Slightly enhanced yet well balanced lower mids. A rolled dip after 1k then a lift around 2k and good energy there on after. It's a slight bright neutral headphone with insane technicalities far exceeding its price range. But that roll down after 1k some may find strange or a bit wonky. I myself find the HI-X65 listenable without eq and its actually not bad sounding. It's pretty good. I like it. Imaging is some of the best imaging I have ever heard. And the separation I am hearing is truly amazing. There is so much clarity. Very very impressive. I'd give it a quick 7.5/10 with no eq.

With EQ.

FUARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Yeah, I really needed a few minutes after listening to Tool - Invincible to just come back to earth and regain my senses.
The amount of detail this headphone is capable of is mind blowing. Not even a EQd Focal Clear has this much detail. It's crazy. The depth, the clairty, the imaging, the separation, the transients, the speed and dynamics of this headphone is unimaginable in a headphone under $1000. But yet here we are. This is not new toy syndrome. This is me genuinly being impressed like never before. Now the only fault I can say is yes, it sounds so much better with eq. But I can honestly say that with all headphones.... I'm not sure how they'll hold up long term. Seem some people have also had QC issues. But if you are open to EQ. Give these headphones a try.

Obviously this is my own opinion, we all hear differently. But I am truly amazed with what I am hearing. The HI-X65 has easily became my new favourite headphone to listen to. More impressions to come and more detailed comparisons in the near future. And yes, I mean FUARK!!! With eyes wide open, mouth wide open and myself in pure ecstasy

Probably unfair to ask this early, but you put the Ultrasone in that picture I assume by choice…. Anything you want to tease yet? 🙃

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #37 of 281
Probably unfair to ask this early, but you put the Ultrasone in that picture I assume by choice…. Anything you want to tease yet? 🙃
The Ultrasone Edition 11 was my imaging king. The imaging on them was some of the best imaging I have ever heard. The HI-X65 has imaging that is on par... if not better... I am becoming more impressed the more I keep listening. But the Edition 11 will always be my king when it comes to musicality and overall musical enjoyment. But the HI-X65 are just sooooooooooo good. Is extremely technically fun a thing? If so, that's what they are. They both are very different headphones when it comes to sound. But if I were to keep one. While the Edition 11 is so so so addictive to listen to. I think I'd take an EQd HI-X65....

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #38 of 281
The Ultrasone Edition 11 was my imaging king. The imaging on them was some of the best imaging I have ever heard. The HI-X65 has imaging that is on par... if not better... I am becoming more impressed the more I keep listening. But the Edition 11 will always be my king when it comes to musicality and overall musical enjoyment. But the HI-X65 are just sooooooooooo good. Is extremely technically fun a thing? If so, that's what they are. They both are very different headphones when it comes to sound. But if I were to keep one. While the Edition 11 is so so so addictive to listen to. I think I'd take an EQd HI-X65....
II knew you would like it.. I tried it for a few days, mine had a small aesthetic problem on the headband. The definition and three-dimensionality that this HI-X65 returns is something exceptional (it does not scream in the highs). This HI-X65 with EQ is scary. We hope to have it back soon.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #39 of 281
II knew you would like it.. I tried it for a few days, mine had a small aesthetic problem on the headband. The definition and three-dimensionality that this HI-X65 returns is something exceptional (it does not scream in the highs). This HI-X65 with EQ is scary. We hope to have it back soon.
I am loving them. Absolutely loving them. I actually haven't slept yet... Been listening to them all night long and its been an absolute joy. But yes, with EQ they are a whole different beast. The separation they have is what stands out. The depth aswell is extremely impressive. Then that soundstage, it's a unique presentation as it sounds intimate but then some sounds are just thrown completely around you with amazing width, height and depth and the forward imaging is spot on as well. It can do alot of things and I'm still to discover more

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #40 of 281
I am loving them. Absolutely loving them. I actually haven't slept yet... Been listening to them all night long and its been an absolute joy. But yes, with EQ they are a whole different beast. The separation they have is what stands out. The depth aswell is extremely impressive. Then that soundstage, it's a unique presentation as it sounds intimate but then some sounds are just thrown completely around you with amazing width, height and depth and the forward imaging is spot on as well. It can do alot of things and I'm still to discover more

So -- these or the M1570? Before EQ and after EQ? :p

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #41 of 281
So -- these or the M1570? Before EQ and after EQ? :p
Honestly. They both are very very good. While I had a brief few hours with the M1570 and truly enjoyed what I heard. I personally am enjoying the HI-X65 more. Now without eq. Again they both are very very different. The M1570 is a warmer, thicker sound. Very very easy to listen to. But some may crave more clarity and a touch more energy in the upper mids and treble as it can sound a bit dark at times. They are fun though and very easy to listen to with great bass slam and extension. Though the weight of them can be an issue for some and the clamp force is light.

The HI-X65 is a more colder, analytical and a very detailed listening experience. It's more pro use than musical enjoyment. But what it has to offer is amazing. Detail and clarity that is unmatched under $1000. Insanely pin point and accurate imaging. Separation between vocals and instruments that headphones above $1000 wish could match. And a damn great soundstage. Wider and deeper than the M1570 yet sounding intimate to give you all that detail. Now imagine keeping all those qualities and improving them with eq while also being able to add a touch more musicality. I do love the M1570, but with eq. The M1570 for me, does not compete to the HI-X65. For me, the HI-X65 is the clear winner. And secondly, it's so much more comfortable and lighter... 😅

Just to add. With EQ the HI-X65 is my pick over the Focal Clear and Clear MG. While stock tuning of the Focals are better. I do find technicalities to be better on the HI-X65. With eq this further improves. Just to give you an idea of how much I really am enjoying the HI-X65 and how good they truly are. Some people may disagree. But being a previous owner of a Focal Clear, Focal Elegia and also a LCD-X. I personally can say I find the HI-X65 to perform of a higher lever. The Focals do have a touch more dynamic slam, same with the LCD-X. But other than that. I find all other aspects in terms of technicalities better on the HI-X65. Though build, quality of materiels are better on the Focals and Audeze, but this does not mean the HI-X65 is bad, they still are very good 😊

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #42 of 281
They just keep getting better and better. Seems like burn in helps loosen the drivers. These have a nice mid bass slam and sub bass can rumble. No, not bass head levels, no where near it. But the quality is amazing. Sub and mid bass separation is on point. Double kick drums are a joy to listen to! And the sheer speed of the driver really helps keep things extremely clean. Mids are seriously crystal clear, some of the clearest I've heard. Huge amount of details here. Literally hearing details I have not heard before, though they are very very veryyyy revealing of bad recordings. Some recordings I thought that were mastered well I heard some minor flaws in them. Only headphones that have done this before were the HD800/HD800s and high end STAX. The treble on the HI-X65 is very airy as well though smooth yet energetic. Alot of treble detail here as well.

If Austrian Audio could make replacement earpads and headpad of higher quality materials such as leather or alcantara that would be great. Maybe a way to fine tune the sound as well.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #44 of 281
I do not recommend connecting this headphone directly to a PC, Mac or smartphone, you risk feel defects that have nothing to do with the headphone. If your option is a budget amp-dac I recommend the Hidizs S9 pro.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #45 of 281
How much sound difference there is when plugging these directly into computer? Rather than high quality DAC + AMP.
You'd hear the impurites of your phone/laptop pretty clearly unless you have a good quality soundcard on your laptop/computer. A proper dac/amp would be better. Luckily there are a lot of budget dac/amps that perform very well. The E1DA 9038D could be a very good option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back