New - Austrian Audio Hi-X65
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #47 of 281
Perhaps more people here soon.

TT.png

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #48 of 281
Would definitely consider buying the Hi-X65 or probably the Hi-X55 as a closed-back replacement to the Sennheiser HD206 I currently have. I trust the guy's at Austrian Audio, the same guy's responsible for so many legendary AKG headphones over the years! :)

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #50 of 281
Is X65 better than Avantone Planar?
I wouldn't say better. But very different. With eq they both can sound very similar. But technicalities is whats different. The HI-X65 certainly has much much much more detail and clarity. Instrument saparation and placement also seems more pinpoint. Soundstage also seems just a touch more spacious but this could be due to transients. But the Avantone Planar has this effortless feel to it. It's soft yet very detailed and in your face. It also has that big driver feel. If I had to keep one. It would be very difficult but I am enjoying the HI-X65 alot. Though I tweaked my eq on the Avantone Planar to be more relaxed as I do feel the Avantone is a more relaxed listening headphone and the HI-X65 is analytical and hyper detailed. Both are very different and both are great. But what are you looking for?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #52 of 281
Truth :) I have Avantones but I don't know if I should buy X65.
I advise you to take it .. do not think you have two similar headphones because they have a decidedly different character. With EQ you can get close but basically they are in two different ways. The HI-X65 is an excellence as a high fidelity headphone. To me the Avantone Planar delivers that sound similar to a very good floor cabinet. Give me time but I will get these two works of art back.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #53 of 281
Truth :) I have Avantones but I don't know if I should buy X65.
Honestly I'd say take it. Both are great headphones and potential endgame. If you have parametric EQ available, I could show you the preset I use for both headphones. The Avantone Planar has a more laid back tuning and the HI-X65 has a more detailed, hyper clear tuning.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #54 of 281
Austrian Audio HI-X65 Vs Avantone Planar. Both have a eq that makes there FR similar.

Lows.
The HI-X65 has more impact and rumble, I am hearing more detail and a faster transients. It's dynamics is insane, even in the quietest passages I can hear low frequency passages. Separation between sub and miss bass is superb.

The Avantone Planar has a more big approach. It doesn't have the same impact, rumble and detail but it has a more filling and bigger feel to it. Transients is a bit slower but still very fast. With very busy songs that have a lot of drumming, bass is still extremely nicely separated. But I do feel the HI-X65 has more saparation and snap to it. Though the Avantone Planar still is no slouch and does very well.

Mids.
The HI-X65 has more intimate mids. And a more forward and centre image. It has a very clear and detailed mid range. Not fatiguing or peaky. But three wordd to describe it is, clear, detailed, analytical. Separation between different vocalist is extremely apparent and very easy to hear. No blur, no mud, no sloppiness. Very very clear and hyper detailed. If a recording is mastered poorly. You will 1000% notice it.

The Avantone Planar sounds a little bit further away. Still intimate, but further. Much less details, yet clarity is close. Still a bit behind what the HI-X65 offers. It has a more relaxed feel to the mids. A bit softer and maybe fuller sounding. The forward imaging is good but I do feel that the HI-X65 is better here. Guitars have more oomph while the HI-X65 has more bite. Both mid range qualities are very good yet very different. I honestly can't say I like one more than the other. Really is subjective or depends on mood.

Treble.
The HI-X65 has clearer and a more airy treble. Even if you try to eq the Avantone Planar to be the same. It seems the Planar has a limit since the HI-X65 just has heaps of air and extension. Yet its not peaky, bothersome or fatiguing. Details for days. Like I said, the HI-X65 is hyper detailed. More detailed to my ear than a Focal Clear. I absolutely love the treble quality in the HI-X65 and its some of the best I have heard.

The Avantone Planar is a bit more laidback. With eq, even if I try to eq it to the level of the HI-X65, it seems there is a limit and rolls off. Yet extension is still very good, heaps of layers and detail can be heard. And certainly is beyond enough for most. But the HI-X65 can get more air, detail and layers high up there.

Imaging.
Both are very very accurate.
At first, I felt the Avantone Planar could spread instruments wider and further. But no, that isn't the case. The HI-X65 is very and I mean very pin point. Imaging I'd honestly say the HI-X65 wins. In some songs, where instruments and effects need to be closer. The HI-X65 does it better and it can literally feel like it's going from far left, around your head, far right, far forward then into your eyeballs and come out of both ears at the same time. Scary stuff. The Planar I have felt something like this too. But not to the level of the HI-X65. But the Planar does feel like its playing further from you most of the time.

Soundstage.
This is where things get interesting.
Lets say benchmark is the Senn HD800. Arya comes close. But I still feel the HD800 is king. So lets say the HD800 is 110% in all directions. Left, right, height, depth, forward, back. All that.

The Avantone Planar at most times. Plays 70% left and right. 85% depth. 65% forward. 65% back. 70% height. And at times. Surpasses all direction with an extra 5%.

The HI-X65 at most times.
Plays 70% left and right. 75% depth.
75% forward. 75% back. 70% height. And at times. Surpassed all direction with an extra 10%.

Usually the depth of the Avantone Planar makes it sound bigger and more spacious. But when listening critacally you notice the HI-X65 does a bit better with forward and backwards placement. But then on some songs. The HI-X65 sounds huge. Bigger than the Planar. And this could also be due the insane instrument and vocal separation the HI-X65 has.

Dynamics.
I feel both headphones are very good here.

With quieter passages, the HI-X65 does better here and same with dynamic slam. But the Avantone Planar has that Planar swing, in which it can be very quick yet grab you and throw you onto the other side of the room. They both present dynamics differently and again, its subjective and depends on which presentation you like more.

Overall. The HI-X65 is more clear, analytical, hyper detailed, airy and has more separation in the whole sound.

The Avantone Planar is more relaxed, fuller, plush yet very detailed, you can just sit back and listen.

Do you want to be pulled into the music and hear everything with high clarity. Or do you want to feel the music and relax and enjoy it. Both are truly amazing headphones. And I can not get rid of them. I did also say if I had to keep one headphone between the HI-X65 and Ultrasone Edition 11. I'd keep the HI-X65. Well that's changed. The Edition 11 is way to special. But I think I know how I can rank them.

If you want extreme musicality, a very warm yet energetic and clear sound. Hyper fun and big bass. Very emotional mids and a massive soundstage with very very very good imaging. The Edition 11 is you pick.

If you want a touch less musicality and gain a bit more detail, more clarity but keep things smooth, easy listening and relaxed. The Avantone Planar is your pick.

If you want hyper clarity and detail. Heaps of air. Extremely precise imaging. And to hear every small detail but it will reveal bad recordings. The Austrian Audio HI-X65 is your pick.

What I can certainly say is. These 3 headphones are beast at what they can do. And they most certainly do it extremely well.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 281
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #57 of 281
Austrian Audio HI-X65 Vs Ultrasone Edition 11.

HI-X65 using tweaked version of oratorys eq. Edition 11 using no eq.

Lows.
The HI-X65 here has much less impact and rumble. Yet its faster and more separated. There are more details that you hear.

The Edition 11 has big low end. Alot of impact, not Fostex TH900/TH909 levels. But I prefer the presentation more on the Edition 11 as the S Logic actually works. It has this extremely surounding feel to the low end and the whole sound. More on that later. The low end is no where near as fast as the HI-X65, but this isnt a bad thing. Again, more on that later. Still, its not muddy, its very clean and behaves. When it needs to stop, it stops. Separation again is no where near the level of the HI-X65, but sub and mid bass still behave and keep eachother separated. The Edition 11 has more mid bass impact than sub bass rumble.

Mids.
The HI-X65 is more forward in its mid presentation. It's thinner, much more detailed, more clearer but not as full sounding as the Edition 11. You hear so so so much clarity and detail, you actually don't miss that slight lack of fullness. Because you can hear very minute details of guitar strums and plucks. Little things that add up to the whole experience. Are the mids very thin though, no. There still is a nice weight to them.

The Edition 11 has slightly recessed lower mids, and high mids get a touch of energy. Yet the overall mids are still clear and do not feel muddy or lacking. In what you sacrifice for sheer clarity and detail, you gain more fullness and weight. The vocals are not as upfront, but this helps with the staging. It's not a sound that makes you focus on every detail, all the clarity and every instrument. It makes you forget and just enjoy the music. Guitar though and acoustic. UGH such an amazing joy to listen too. Stop analysing the music. Just listen and enjoy it.

Treble.
The HI-X65 has more treble clarity, detail, extension. But with a similar sparkle of the Edition 11. Maybe it's a touch smoother. But I do mean a touch. Overall a much more detailed and clear presentation of treble.

The Edition 11 doesn't sound muted in the treble though. There is more than enough energy to keep things interesting and detailed. Extension is still very good. But on some songs, it can become just a touch and I mean a touch to energetic. It's less than the Arya or HD800/800s though. If you can handle that treble, the Edition 11 will be no problem for you. Usually this only happens on songs that have been mastered poorly. In a way, it shows the Edition 11 while very musical, it still is revealing of quality.

Now after treble. The rest is my fave part of the comparison.

Imaging.
I don't really have to say much as some of you have read about how I feel the HI-X65 does here when compared to the Avantone Planar. The HI-X65 does amazingly well here. It is extremely accurate and pinpoint but more. It strectches the boundaries and does some crazy scary things with its imaging. Very very good.

The Edition 11 though.... It's still a headphone that blows my mind till this very day. S Logic works!!! I always felt S Logic sucks and makes things sound extremely off with Ultrasone headphones that have that strange rectangular cup. On the circular cups, it was better. But the cups didn't feel deep enough and again. I could hear potential. But Ultrasone didn't hit the nail yet. So honestly, not many Ultrasone headphones really impressed me at all. They were way to overpriced and just yeah. Eh. The Edition 15 was alright... But wayyyy to overpriced. Way way way to overpriced. It was an instant no. But my my my, I'll never forget the first time I heard the Edition 11. It was love at first listen. But what was it that made me fall in love with them. S-LOGIC !!!!. Finally, after years, I understood it. The imaging on the Edition 11 is magical. If right up there with the HI-X65. But a bit different with how it presents music. I wouldn't say its as accurate. Not because it blurs music, but more like it enhances it. It's strange and tricky to describe. But, the HI-X65 has a more realistic sense of imaging. But the Edition 11 makes it more fun if that makes sense. More 3D. Still very very very good though. The forward imaging though is what gets me always. And at times, maybe slightly better than the HI-X65. So HI-X65 is more realistic. The Edition 11 is very very good but has this 3D effect. It's very unique.

Soundstage.
I'll do the same thing. Benchmark is Senn HD800. 110% in all directions.

Austrian Audio HI-X65.
Plays 70% left and right.
75% depth.
75% forward. 75% back.
70% height. And at times, surpasses all directions with an extra 10%.

Ultrasone Edition 11
Play 75% left and right.
???% Depth
80% forward. 75% back.
75% height. And at times, surpasses all directions with ???%.

At most. The Edition 11 has the larger soundstage in all directions. But what is the magic. It's the depth. The depth feels endless. The Arya and HD800/800s are deep feeling. But the Edition 11 feels even deeper at times. And such a unique presentation of the music. It's tricky to focus on whats going on because of how spacious and deep the sound can be. It varies alot between songs, some sound normal, some sound intimate then some just sound HUGE!!! Endless. And that's where it really takes my breath away. Sometimes in all directions it feels like it can spread further too. Doesn't happen always. Again, varries on the song. But it can happen. Now this soundstage with this insane 3D like imaging. It's a very unique listening experience. That I truly absolutely love. But it doesn't end yet..

Dynamics.
Now I do feel the HI-X65 does better with quiet passages. It gets the slightest sounds so clearly. Amazing dynamic range it has.

But the Edition 11 has this dynamic slam in the whole sound. It can go from sounding calm to suddenly intense in a second. It really grabs you by surprise. Add in the soundstage and imaging. It can do some wild things.

Again. Both are very different here. And its subjective on which you'd prefer. They both are very very good at what they do.

So the big question.
How does the HI-X65 stack up against a 999 Euro headphone that I feel could cost more due to its absolute awesome price to performance. I feel the HI-X65 does damn well. The Edition 11 is one hell of an amazing headphone. Especially for the price, I feel its a bargain. It's expensive yes but so damn worth it. The HI-X65 while extremely different tuning. Extremely different listening experience. It sure is damn amazing for even less. Loving them both 😁👍

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #58 of 281
My Austrian Audio HI-X65 are on the road .
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #59 of 281
I don't know if it's burn in or my ears adjusting to the sound. But details seems like it becomes better. It's impressive how clearly I can hear slight shifts in instruments, vocals and overall tones. The driver is extremely nuanced and fast. Low end also seems to slam a touch more. Loving these heaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back