New Audiophiles, how to hear certain sounds.
Dec 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:
Haha this thread reminds me of Kiteki's thread once upon a time, until today I'm still listening to those music everything because of the guitar shreddding :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514102/testing-for-speed-in-iems-please-participate-in-my-test-speed-metal-visual-kei-symphonic-metal-instrumental-electric-guitar-shredding

I particularly liked the part where kiteki explained what goes on along the timelines specifically and what to look for. These are the threads I would like to see more. Till today, I still can't hear the 3 guitarist playing together, so I'm close to giving up on my hearing haha.

Hi there,

Three guitarists, you mean like... the two lead guitars and bass guitar at the same time?

Which part of the video?

By the way, you're the guy that has the Fiio E10, and picked up the Asahi Texas, yes?

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:
I listen to harsh noise at high volumes.

Different school, keeping it real.

I used to do that, not for me anymore. The headaches were bothersome but then I used a V6 with its weird treble peaks and exaggerated bass. On lower volumes the V6 sounded a bit smoother but I still could no longer accept its flaws. I only listen a bit louder when needed and the headphones I use daily now are nicer for the ears.

Please do not forget a take break every once in a while... 

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 45
I like the idea of this thread. Will definitely lurk....

By the way, OP, if you want a good example of the really low frequency sub-bass that OG Dubstep is notorious for, this is one of the best songs.....and 2:58 is a proper drop :wink:

Also a great example of how the awkward nature of the 2 step rhythm builds anticipation and accentuates the bass line. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #19 of 45

That's one of the cooler, one of the very few dubstep tracks I actually enjoyed.

I had 60Hz +5 turned on by accident lol.

lyrics starting at 0:40

WHUP WHUP WHUP WHU WHU WHU          ~        n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n
WHUP WHUP WHUP WHU WHU WHU          ~        n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~n~

WHUP WHUP WHUP WHU WHU WHU     - N~N~N~N~N~N~NNnnnnnnn ~N~N~N~N~N~N N~Nnnn  ~N ~NN~nnnnn ~N N~ nn n n n n ~N~N~N~N~NnnnnnnnnnnN ~ N ~ N ~ NNNNN nnnnnn ~ N~N~N~N~~NN~N~k~ n n n ~K nn n n n ~K n n n n nKK n n n n n n K

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 45

Quote:
I like the idea of this thread. Will definitely lurk....

By the way, OP, if you want a good example of the really low frequency sub-bass that OG Dubstep is notorious for, this is one of the best songs.....and 2:58 is a proper drop :wink:

Also a great example of how the awkward nature of the 2 step rhythm builds anticipation and accentuates the bass line. 

This is what im talking about. At the moment since noone has any questions, just post up vids of Say treble extension, or sub bass. Something thats kinda hard to hear on the average song. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 45

Haha yeah that's me :)

Oh yeah that part you wrote :

So back on track. (the non-live version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdgZRVnTmM&fmt=18

2:47 - this is where it starts

3:01 - 3:16 - there are some crazy fast riffs here, what is that person doing.

3:27 - getting pretty chaotic here, can you hear the drummer and all three guitarists? I can't.
Quote:
Hi there,

Three guitarists, you mean like... the two lead guitars and bass guitar at the same time?

Which part of the video?

By the way, you're the guy that has the Fiio E10, and picked up the Asahi Texas, yes?

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 45
Which reminds me i had a demonstration album in .ape files, i forgot to convert it to FLAC and give it a whirl. It's supposed to help explain all those fancy words people use around here.
triportsad.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 45
Here's an unorthodox sub-bass test. "Tears in Heaven" from Eric Clapton's Unplugged amp. He (or someone) keeps time by tapping his foot on the stage. It adds a surprisingly tactile sub-bass beat that can be heard throughout the song if your headphones extend well enough. You'll need to listen to the CD version, I don't hear it with the live YouTube video.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #26 of 45
Listen to white noise for 1 hour starting at very low volume then slowly increasing to medium volume.

Then listen to regular music and close your eyes and turn off all lights in your room. 

Tilt your head down, like your trying to touch your nose to your chest. 

As you listen to music move your head slowly left and right and rub the area right behind your ears with two fingers in a circular motion. 

Then put your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Finally, cross your legs one way then back the other way, doing this again and again slowly. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 45

Use an equalizer, set all bass frequencies from 20Hz - 400Hz to -12dB, listen to that for a week or 2, now put your equalizer back on flat, now you will be much more sensitive to bass quality, and appreciate what real music is which is all above 400Hz.

Pass the cornflakes, need more sugar.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #29 of 45
Cool tip, I might start doing that tomorrow. I see you're really good with this frequency stuff. Good job. So for treble or mids, how would you advise on that. Would appreciate your comment, thanks!

Quote:

Use an equalizer, set all bass frequencies from 20Hz - 400Hz to -12dB, listen to that for a week or 2, now put your equalizer back on flat, now you will be much more sensitive to bass quality, and appreciate what real music is which is all above 400Hz.

Pass the cornflakes, need more sugar.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
Cool tip, I might start doing that tomorrow. I see you're really good with this frequency stuff. Good job. So for treble or mids, how would you advise on that. Would appreciate your comment, thanks!

Actually I don't use an equalizer very often, I try to listen to speakers and IEM's for what they are, on flat, and improve the equipment surrounding them, like the DAP or DAC section.

Hizaki-sama, I suggest you download the graphical equalizer for Foobar by xnor, and push the frequencies to the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back