New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #241 of 259
Sorry for bumping up old, dead thread but.. just wanted to inform that I've joined to the fam. :)

ES2VQcu.jpg

They look so beautiful that I could buy these just to use them as an ornament on my desktop lol. Prettiest headphones I've ever owned or tried.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #243 of 259
I agree, they may not sound fantastic by today's standards but they sure look nice!

Well, what defines "today's standards"? There are plenty of headphones that have been around for decades and are still hold in high regard. I can admit that they are not perfect for everything but with right music they sound pretty darn great. Besides it's a demo pair from a local audio store so I got them for well below MSRP (399€/$460) and I think they are good value for the money. I think I dig the overall tuning more than let's say Nightowls which I sold/traded a while ago. :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #244 of 259
I agree, they may not sound fantastic by today's standards but they sure look nice!

There have not been huge leaps in dynamic driver technology since this headphone was released.

Honestly, "sounding good by today's standards" is a matter of taste and nothing else!

I'm surprised how quickly this thread dropped off, is the conversation still alive somewhere else?

@Currawong do you still own yours or have you sold them? When googling this headphone, your face is basically at the top of the search results list :p

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #247 of 259
Beautiful set. Would love to see them in person.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #248 of 259
Update: Lawton Audio Sheepskin pads fit almost perfectly on these headphones. Hugely improved experience.

These are officially now my reference closed-back headphones. They are the best I've heard to date.

20200924_163629.jpg

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #250 of 259
Update: Lawton Audio Sheepskin pads fit almost perfectly on these headphones. Hugely improved experience.

These are officially now my reference closed-back headphones. They are the best I've heard to date.

Could you describe how it affects the sound?

Would you rank these higher than your D5000?

I also happen to have D5000 (stock) and I can give my 2c. I think AT outperforms Denons quite clearly in midrange clarity and overall detail/resolution but I'm not sure is it alone enough to make it better sounding. Denon has the bass extension and impact that W1000Z lacks (even if the bass is little on the "loose and bloated"-side) and to my ears superior imaging and separation and I think it's smoother/less fatiguing sound overall except some occasional treble sharpness and sibilance. D5000 sounds more "refined" in a way. It's quite difficult comparison actually, they both do certain things better than the other...

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #253 of 259

20200924_163629.jpg
Would you please explain how it makes them better sound quality wise. I have a different pair of audio technica headphones and when I changed the pads the bass became more accurate and it added sub bass. Do the lawton pads do something similar to this with the w1000z?

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #254 of 259
Just received mine (secondhand from Japan). On the end of my WBA Tzar (OTL tube amp with 6S41S output tubes - high power, low internal resistance), the result is quite illuminating: not the most dynamic performance, but soundstage and imaging quite remarkable for a closed can, and the most incredibly transparent and tactile midrange. Chamber music, solo cello and 1950s and 1960s jazz are an absolute joy.

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #255 of 259
In addition to the „headband bending mod“, I have found that rotating the pads a little helps achieve a good seal (which is essential).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back