New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Oct 17, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #946 of 958
  Yeah I wouldn't use oil. If you're going to lubricate it I'd use lithium grease, that white stuff also used to lubricate garage doors. Many oils will degrade and soften the plastic which is not what you want.

If your referring to lubing headphones, the best lube I found was going to a hobby shop that sells RC cars and get a small container of diff lube.  Its a clear silicone paste that works well and doesn't just drip/run off

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #948 of 958
Oh yeah, the blue limited edition looks awesome.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #949 of 958
The gray ATH-M50xMG is pretty slick-looking in real life. It's understated, but the plastic has a shiny texture that reminds me of beach sand.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #951 of 958
I'm not a big time headphone audiophile.  I've had the ATH M50X for about 6 months now and I had a set of Auray Sheepskin Pads for the HD280 Pro.  Well, they fit perfectly on the ATH M50X and increased the perceived bass response, probably because they are thicker and sit further back from the ears.  They were fairly easy to install, took about 5 minutes total.  It also fits around my ears better than the stock pads.  They seem more comfortable but the stock pads were pretty comfortable as well.  Here is how they look and the two pads that are removed are the stock pads.   I really like the sound now!  I used the Auray model # EP-HD280-L.  They may have a model designated to fit the M50X specifically, I just happened to have these on hand because I used to own the HD 280.  I guess the Auray # EPS-MDR7506 might also fit as it fits the M30.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #954 of 958
I actually use the stuff for it's intended purpose :) I have several 1/8th scale vehicles that don't have ball diffs so I pack in heavier fluid for more  limited slip. That stuff is pretty viscous but it's not really a lubricant even though it performs that function in a diff pumpkin. The lithium is a grease that doesn't dry out or attract nearly as much dust and dirt as oil. I've used it to quiet down office chairs and hinges.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #955 of 958
Hello!
Can U help me find cable with volume and play/pause buttoms wich work with Fiio X1 or Fiio X3-2?
I have Meizu HD50, and it doesn't work with Fiio X1 :frowning2: No one buttom.
I affraid buy one more cable for my M50x wich doesn't work.
THNX. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #956 of 958
  Hello!
Can U help me find cable with volume and play/pause buttoms wich work with Fiio X1 or Fiio X3-2?
I have Meizu HD50, and it doesn't work with Fiio X1 :frowning2: No one buttom.
I affraid buy one more cable for my M50x wich doesn't work.
THNX. 

I bought a cable on amazon from neonewmusica's store last year.. I had returned it because I was like what the hell do I need a mic on my m50x for anyways, I didn't buy them for this.

However, it worked, was $20, although I didn't use it on a Fiio or any other DAP, it worked on my LG G4 and my Samsung galaxy s6 edge I had at the time.

It was an all black rubber cable, with silver colored volume controls/mic base.

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #957 of 958
Hi...

Has anyone done a headband comfort mod for the M50x's/M50's? I recently bought a pair of the M50x's and I'm satisfied/ impressed with the sound quality but find the headband becomes uncomfortable with regular use.

With other headphones, on-ear designs for example, I often wear the headband angled towards the back of my head on the domed part of the skull where the weight seems to distribute more comfortably. On the M50x's, as the cups are oval shaped and fit over the ear (this aspect is very comfortable by the way), the positioning of the headband is very restricted with little scope for relieving discomfort. Coupled with this the cans are relatively heavy and overall the padding inside the headband isn't substantial enough.

If you look up "Comfort mod: HD650 headband padding on the Pro 900" here in the forums you will see one example for modifying a headband.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900

Due to the way the headband is constructed on the M50x's the inner pad integrates with the top side and is stitched together into one piece of padding. So I don't think the inner pad can be prised out and replaced, unlike in the example above. It seems the only option is to leave the original pad intact and attach additional padding on top of it, like one of the Sennheiser pads, for HD650 part #088597 or HD600 #549375. I phoned up to get measurements for the HD650 pad: it is 185mm x 25mm. The HD600 pad comes in a sealed pack so I couldn't get the measurements verified but broadly similar to the HD650 pad apparently. I measure the inner pad on the M50x's at about 170mm x 30mm.

I reckon I might try the comfort mod with the HD650 padding, I'll just have to stick the velcro directly onto the stock pad... hope it looks ok. What do you think? Any other options I should consider?
I tried the HD650 padding on my MX50x's without actually permanently fixing it, and found that it altered the sound substantially with a loss of definition, so ditched that idea. Wrapping a thin layer of fleece material around the headband had a similar affect on the sound quality, in over-damping the sound. Anyway, I've found that over time I can now comfortably wear these headphones for extended listening sessions (hours) without finding them uncomfortable. It may just be my head has got used to them. Or, I can't quite remember, but I might have adjusted the shape of the headband by bending it in to make it more rounded and less flat across the central part of it, where it contacts the head, so that the weight of the headphones is supported by a larger surface area of my skull. Happy listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back