New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jun 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #346 of 958
I was opted to get the original ath-m50 and do a detachable cable mod for it, I just wasnt confident enough cutting off a bit of that plastic bracket that holds the insulation and driver to accomodate the 3.5mm plug.

Was worried to ruined a good set of headphones with that mod. Thats just me of course. :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #347 of 958
I definitely felt that way during my mod.  Spent most of the time worried I had just ruined my headphones.  The only difficult part of it was the actual soldering of the wires since the stock wires are no friend of solder.  I just practiced stripping and soldering with the cut cable end and when I was comfortable with it I went for the headphone end.  All of plastic cutting was actually quite easy and took little time.  Sound quality is exactly as before.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #348 of 958
  I definitely felt that way during my mod.  Spent most of the time worried I had just ruined my headphones.  The only difficult part of it was the actual soldering of the wires since the stock wires are no friend of solder.  I just practiced stripping and soldering with the cut cable end and when I was comfortable with it I went for the headphone end.  All of plastic cutting was actually quite easy and took little time.  Sound quality is exactly as before.

Enamel coating in the wires would really make it a pain to solder.

I will do this mod in the future, I still wanna give it a shot. The feeling of a successful DIY project is priceless.

I'll be looking for a good deal on a used M50 and go ahead with detachable mod. I should also start looking for that 3.5mm plug (rounded type not the boxed type).

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #349 of 958
By the way Im still exploring which EQ settings is best for these headphones, Im using my iphone 4s/5s and laptop output jack as source and currently Im using none on EQ.

If you guys could share any thoughts (EQ apps, portable amps, etc or whatever specific to M50/M50x) on this I would gladly appreciate it.

Cheers 

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #350 of 958
  Enamel coating in the wires would really make it a pain to solder.

I will do this mod in the future, I still wanna give it a shot. The feeling of a successful DIY project is priceless.

I'll be looking for a good deal on a used M50 and go ahead with detachable mod. I should also start looking for that 3.5mm plug (rounded type not the boxed type).

As soon as I figure out how to be allowed to post pictures I'll post pictures of my mod. The plug I used makes the modding a tad harder but the end result is well worth it.  The feeling of success is priceless, especially after feeling like you ruined your headphones after cutting the cable.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #351 of 958
  By the way Im still exploring which EQ settings is best for these headphones, Im using my iphone 4s/5s and laptop output jack as source and currently Im using none on EQ.

If you guys could share any thoughts (EQ apps, portable amps, etc or whatever specific to M50/M50x) on this I would gladly appreciate it.

Cheers 

If you want a great portable and cheap amp look into http://www.jdslabs.com/products/1/cmoybb-v2-03-headphone-amplifier/ they are pretty great and if I remember right you can have them customized for your specific headphones. Don't think I have ever really liked the EQs on my iPhone that much.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #352 of 958
If you want a great portable and cheap amp look into http://www.jdslabs.com/products/1/cmoybb-v2-03-headphone-amplifier/ they are pretty great and if I remember right you can have them customized for your specific headphones. Don't think I have ever really liked the EQs on my iPhone that much.

Thanks for the useful site.

Those are cool looking altoids portable amps, are you using one of them?

Im also looking at those Fiio E17 portable amps, i can easily order them here in australia and will do free overnight shipping, but still have to do more research if they are worth it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #353 of 958
Thanks for the useful site.

Those are cool looking altoids portable amps, are you using one of them?

Im also looking at those Fiio E17 portable amps, i can easily order them here in australia and will do free overnight shipping, but still have to do more research if they are worth it.

Ya that's what I use. The rechargeable battery version makes it have good portability. They work great! Don't know anything about that one your looking at but it looks like it might also be good.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #355 of 958
i actually love harman kardon headphone design.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #356 of 958
Will be watching out for your modded m50 pics and might as well include your altoids portable amp
biggrin.gif
. I reckon you'll be able to post pics in a couple of days or few more post.

Good idea! I will definitely take some pictures with the amp as well and include those as soon as it lets me post pictures.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #357 of 958
Finally able to add pictures so here are my headphones, modded cable, and amp.  I also ordered the beats remote talk cable for a mic and playback control on my iphone so I'll add pictures of that when I get it.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #360 of 958
So did it get confirmed by anyone that the blue limited edition M50x sounds sonically different than the black or white ones?

they do not sound any different, no matter what people are saying….It is probably just burn in difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back