New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Mar 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #139 of 958
Has anyone heard the M40x? I am looking for a more neutral sounding headphone. I have some good headphones with a bass bump. I assume the M50x would be similar? Should I stick with the M40x or change my pre-order to the M50x?

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #143 of 958
I got these instead of going out and partying all spring break and i couldn't be happier the sound is relatively neutral they are not flat by any means but if you are looking for your first pair of headphones to move into audiophilia these are a terrific transition phone for those just starting out coming from the land of $30-$60  headphones that are bass heavy or just wanting to get some real quality headphones for the price i have noticed a rather large change in sound over the burn in so far all for the better bass has become smoother highs cleaner and mids clearer. i will post again once i hit 50 hrs of burn in im around 20 now

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #144 of 958
They're good headphones but definitely not flat enough for my preferences. I'd like less bass. I don't know if they'd be the best for monitoring but they should be fine. There are different headphones that do different jobs. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #146 of 958
  They're good headphones but definitely not flat enough for my preferences. I'd like less bass. I don't know if they'd be the best for monitoring but they should be fine. There are different headphones that do different jobs. 

It would be nice if an Audio-Technica rep could chime in here. After I get my M40xes in. I will test them for a few weeks and report back. According the the AT website, the M40xes are supposed to be the "flat" version of the M50x. 

I'd say for monitoring the shure srh840 or sony mdrv6 is a much better choice

I have had Sony MDR 7506s for years and used them for monitoring. Very solid phones, but they are not flat in their response  in any way, shape, or form.  I can see where any of the M line would be quite suitable for monitoring. Personal taste. I find the ATH-M30 as a better monitoring phone than the 7506s when driven by a computer or guitar amp like the Vox Tonelab. YMMV.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #149 of 958
I got the black m50x a few days ago - i needed a pair of monitor closed back headphones to mix with (Logic Pro X) while riding a bus to work - the etymotic IEM i have dont really do low end that much (unless you really jam that sucker in your ear) and while I have a pair of HD650's they obv dont fit in a bus environment.

Being a bass player I also needed to hear bass - HD650's certainly dont have excessive bass & while I feel they are pretty accurate are not great for tracking.

So far I love the M50x - its got bass you can feel as well as hear.  I'll test them on the bus ride in tomorrow, they feel like they have pretty good isolation.

psyched!

-carl

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #150 of 958
So im really confused. Most websites are saying the blue version is back ordered till June now, but two say they have them in stock...is this fishy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back