New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 28, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #4,621 of 11,282
It's great to know that Kingwa is always working on building great products that offer us many options. This is my first Audio-GD product and I am very happy that I purchased it.

Have no desire to upgrade either. My head is still swimming from upgrading my three Audio GD DACs in the past few months.

Quite happy with my DACs.... even the 2013 M7(S). All sounding better than ever! I’m sure there will be further tweaks to come especially firmware.

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,622 of 11,282
Have no desire to upgrade either. My head is still swimming from upgrading my three Audio GD DACs in the past few months.

Quite happy with my DACs.... even the 2013 M7(S). All sounding better than ever! I’m sure there will be further tweaks to come especially firmware.
I don't think there are any upgrades I could do to the R8 for now. I'm sure there will be a firmware upgrade coming out soon that I'll want to try out.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,623 of 11,282
The R8HE has been marketed to the Chinese market for awhile. Kingwa said he only makes HE products for his flagships, so this means he considers both the R7 and R8 his flagships.

Btw, there is a class A power amp coming out soon that is more musical (and less neutral) than his Master 3 amp. But it won't have ACSS, only XLR. If you're running long cables like me (i.e. 40ft), ACSS is still the better option.

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #4,624 of 11,282
Hello guys, one question.
I have the Gustard U16 feeding via I2S the R8 and I've found that setting the Syn to zero (0) sounds "a little" more analog that one (1).
The difference is small and it could be placebo, but I think Im not mistaken.
The firmware used is V3A and the R8 has new DA boards and Accusilicon clocks.
I understand one option uses the clock of the U16 and another one uses the one in the R8, am I correct? Wich is one and the other? Are there another technical differences?

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #4,626 of 11,282
@PLGA V3A and TDA Syn use the I2S MCLK to lock a PLL onto the incoming I2S signal. TDA Asy does not use MCLK and has an asynchronous process for aligning incoming data.

When using V3A or TDA Syn the input 'syn' controls to PLL lock bandwidth for individual I2S inputs. 'Syn' = 0 (default) is the highest bandwidth. 'Syn' = 1 is lower bandwidth and is for marginal I2S sources. If your I2S playback has noise, static, and dropouts then 'Syn' = 1 may help. The lower bandwidth PLL does not sound as good by a small amount.

There are technical differences between these latest SW versions that I don't fully understand. So I trust my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,627 of 11,282
Kingwa is very talented and always finds a way to impress us. In this case, i wonder what he will say to someone asking which sounds best between r8he and r7. It is an unusual marketing strategy.

From Kingwa -
"I am consider if R7 is 100%, R8 is 95%, R7HE is over 200% if other devices in the system are enough good.
The people who went to our listen room compare the units, R7 and R8 they usually need 1-2 minutes to know the different.
R7HE to R7, just few seconds."

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #4,628 of 11,282
@PLGA V3A and TDA Syn use the I2S MCLK to lock a PLL onto the incoming I2S signal. TDA Asy does not use MCLK and has an asynchronous process for aligning incoming data.

When using V3A or TDA Syn the input 'syn' controls to PLL lock bandwidth for individual I2S inputs. When 'Syn' = 0 (default) is the highest bandwidth. 'Syn' = 1 is lower bandwidth and is for marginal I2S sources. If your I2S playback has noise, static, and dropouts then 'Syn' = 1 may help. The lower bandwidth PLL does not sound as good by a small amount.

There are technical differences between these latest SW versions that I don't fully understand. So I trust my ears.

Thank you Scott.

Quite clear explanation.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,631 of 11,282
So it seems R8HE is better than R7 by a big margin from the above observation.
No so obvious IMO. But having two products selling for the same price and competing directly is quite unusual. So the question will be asked about which one sounds better. And why keep both. The r7 does not run hot, which is one differentiation. This and the quantity of settings and number of inputs.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #4,634 of 11,282
If R7 =100%, R8 = 95%, R7HE > 200%
Then R8HE is possible > 190%

HE variants aren't twice as good, they are 5% better than their non-HE variants on average (depending on time of day). So it's more like:

R8 = 95%, R7 = 100%, R8HE = 100%, R7HE = 105%

That 5% is near indistinguishable to a first time listener, but if you're already experienced with the non-HE sound, the HE version will be a big jump for you.

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,635 of 11,282
HE variants aren't twice as good, they are 5% better than their non-HE variants on average (depending on time of day). So it's more like:

R8 = 95%, R7 = 100%, R8HE = 100%, R7HE = 105%

That 5% is near indistinguishable to a first time listener, but if you're already experienced with the non-HE sound, the HE version will be a big jump for you.
To each his own scale. It is all very subjective. The law of diminishing return. Based on sound quality, i would say the r7he is worth twice what the r7 costs.. Some would say 4 times. Depends on how good the power grid is in your location and other power-related considerations.

Have gou a/b-ied them all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back