New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 24, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #4,591 of 11,275
New, but not necessarily different sounding, firmware for R7 only...

I asked Kingwa specifically if any newer R8 firmware was available. He said "no" for the R8 but sent this TDA Asy-Syn combo version of TDA for the R7. It combines the TDA Asy and Syn functions in one image and is selectable via the front panel (evaluate in real time). Basically you flip the front panel's 2nd page 'Sync' setting for Input 6 = 0 Asy, = 1 Syn.

The R7 programming file is "R7_19.jic" and how to operate when loaded in "TDA_Syn-Asy_ComboNotes.pdf". You can find the docs here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!313&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

The default shipping firmware is still TDA Asy (since March 2019 as far as I know). This R7 firmware is for test and your enjoyment if you choose to load. And if you have any questions feel free to ask! I have not loaded the firmware.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #4,592 of 11,275
Now I wonder any people has tried the two in one (asyn and sync) firmware. Are they good?

No right or wrong. Just simply what do you prefer!

Yes. I've tried the "two in one" on an R8 as previously posted. I've had it installed for a while (got it on June 20th) then took it out. What's "good" is based on your needs and thoughts alone. I did like having the ability to A/B at the touch of a button.

As usual, I agree wholeheartedly with @DACLadder - just pick what you prefer. If you're comfortable swapping firmwares, it only takes a few minutes to try it to see if you like it. Enjoy!

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #4,593 of 11,275
Yes. I've tried the "two in one" on an R8 as previously posted. I've had it installed for a while (got it on June 20th) then took it out. What's "good" is based on your needs and thoughts alone. I did like having the ability to A/B at the touch of a button.

After testing 2-in-1 did you return to TDA Asy? Just wondering if the two compiles of TDA Asy sound identical. Hope they do! But a nice way to audition both TDA modes with the combo firmware.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #4,594 of 11,275
New, but not necessarily different sounding, firmware for R7 only...

I asked Kingwa specifically if any newer R8 firmware was available. He said "no" for the R8 but sent this TDA Asy-Syn combo version of TDA for the R7. It combines the TDA Asy and Syn functions in one image and is selectable via the front panel (evaluate in real time). Basically you flip the front panel's 2nd page 'Sync' setting for Input 6 = 0 Asy, = 1 Syn.

The R7 programming file is "R7_19.jic" and how to operate when loaded in "TDA_Syn-Asy_ComboNotes.pdf". You can find the docs here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!313&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

The default shipping firmware is still TDA Asy (since March 2019 as far as I know). This R7 firmware is for test and your enjoyment if you choose to load. And if you have any questions feel free to ask! I have not loaded the firmware.

Thanks for posting that link, I downloaded both the TDA R8 files, turns out my R8 must of shipped with the older V3 firmware because I can no longer hear a difference between the NOS modes, the new TDA_Asy does sound quite different to the older V3 firmware on NOS 1, definitely more high frequency extension and overall more energy, but for my system I actually prefered TDA_Syn, it sounded closer to the older firmware on NOS 1, just like hqplayers IIR filter it seems to put more focus on the midrange, sounds warmer and more laid back, blacker backgrounds, its like an upgraded NOS 1 V3 firmware.

I almost didn't try TDA_Syn as TDA_Asy seems to be the prefered one, I guess it comes down to the system being played on (and personal preference obviously) if I still owned my previous speakers (Jamo C809) I would of probably prefered TDA_Asy, as they had a soft dome tweeter and were more laid back, but my current speakers (Legacy Audio Signature SE) have a dual air motion tweeter which are capable of producing quite a lot of volume and are quite revealing, which is great on well recorded material but not so great on poorly recorded material, probably why I prefer TDA_Syn, overall a nice upgrade.

PS... that top cover is quite a tight fit.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #4,595 of 11,275
Hi,
My r2r7 has been upgraded to r7 (faceplate only) a while ago but keeps 2 I2S inputs (rj45 and hdmi). Unfortunately I can’t load the TDA firmware because my hdmi input 4 does not work with it. Kingwa told me months ago he will release the firmware for I2S in4 but I don’t think he has released it yet. Other people concerned by this issue?
Best regards
David

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #4,596 of 11,275
Wow - David - you and I both in the same week!

I haven’t posted my situation to the forum because I wondered if I had an older unit and it was old news to everyone - but it’s exactly the same as your scenario.

So - keeping it simple - I’ll paste the reply I got from Kingwa - with a caveat that I resolved with Scott (DacLadder).

Dear Brent,
If you only use HDMI but not RJ45, you can swap the HDMI and RJ45 wires, the HDMI become IN5, and can apply the TDA firmware, but the IN4 RJ45 will no sound.
RJ45 without power supply so it don't need connect the power supply wires.
Kingwa

Also implies he’s not about to release the fix I guess.
Note - the HDMI input board requires power - the RJ45 doesn’t. I made the suggested swap but snipped the power wires not thinking they were required. Plugged in my HDMI cable and got no sound from the IN5 input. :frowning2: Scott and I surmised as you are still using the HDMI input board (IN4) to feed the RJ45 input (IN5) - the HDMI board still needs power despite running the inputs to the passive IN5 (RJ45). So it’s a split of the wires - keeping the HDMI power connected and swapping the data wires as suggested by Kingwa.

I haven’t done it yet so can’t vouch for it - but will this weekend to see what happens. If you find an easier solution - I'll be listening!

Cheers - Brent

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,597 of 11,275
I have the same problem.
Waiting until it appears firmware TDA for I2S in4 (hdmi) for my R2R 7 .

I have an upgrade Accusilicon - it is very good with new ones xos Accusilicon .
Is it worth paying for new ones boards (modules) DA7 V2 - 200 $ ???

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #4,598 of 11,275
After testing 2-in-1 did you return to TDA Asy? Just wondering if the two compiles of TDA Asy sound identical. Hope they do! But a nice way to audition both TDA modes with the combo firmware.

I recently had a brief conversation with Kingwa about tda asy settings. I just tried to understand better what technical difference there is between " oversampling 0" and NOS "N" mode.
He told me to try, they're not the same even if both someway NOS.
But the interesting thing I cached is that he is planning to make a new fw version with 2 more flavours in NOS "N" mode, instead of the single one he actually has.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #4,599 of 11,275
I'm also still waiting for the new firmware (TDA for I2S in4). I hope Kingwa will find the time to update it, as I would love to try it.

I had Magna hifi upgrade my R2R7 to R7 with the new V2 boards and accusilicon clocks, and now after a week or so of burn-in, the sound is greatly improved compared to before. Distortion seems lower, instruments have more texture, and the depth in the soundstage has improved.

I haven’t posted my situation to the forum because I wondered if I had an older unit and it was old news to everyone - but it’s exactly the same as your scenario.

So - keeping it simple - I’ll paste the reply I got from Kingwa - with a caveat that I resolved with Scott (DacLadder).

Dear Brent,
If you only use HDMI but not RJ45, you can swap the HDMI and RJ45 wires, the HDMI become IN5, and can apply the TDA firmware, but the IN4 RJ45 will no sound.
Kingwa

Note - the HDMI input board requires power - the RJ45 doesn’t. I made the suggested swap but snipped the power wires not thinking they were required. Plugged in my HDMI cable and got no sound from the IN5 input. :frowning2: Scott and I surmised as you are still using the HDMI input board (IN4) to feed the RJ45 input (IN5) - the HDMI board still needs power despite running the inputs to the passive IN5 (RJ45). So it’s a split of the wires - keeping the HDMI power connected and swapping the data wires as suggested by Kingwa.

I haven’t done it yet so can’t vouch for it - but will this weekend to see what happens. If you find an easier solution - I'll be listening!

Cheers - Brent

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #4,600 of 11,275
I recently had a brief conversation with Kingwa about tda asy settings. I just tried to understand better what technical difference there is between " oversampling 0" and NOS "N" mode..

I believe the differences between NOS and OS 0x are the filter algorithms used by the DSP in each mode. OS uses steep filters at the cut off while NOS filters are more gradual and definitely warmer sounding. Not sure if this is 100% correct but best I can surmise from the descriptions over the years and listening.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #4,601 of 11,275
I think you are correct, on the Magna page for this DAC, it says the differences are that the OS modes use a digital filter of -130DB/octave, while NOS uses an analog -6db/octave filter. TDA firmware allows for a -50DB filter.

Found in the oversampling section on their page: https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-r7

I believe the differences between NOS and OS 0x are the filter algorithms used by the DSP in each mode. OS uses steep filters at the cut off while NOS filters are more gradual and definitely warmer sounding. Not sure if this is 100% correct but best I can surmise from the descriptions over the years and listening.

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4,602 of 11,275

Dear Brent,
Kingwa

Cheers - Brent

Thank you very much Brent for your answer and the way to solve it. I got the same answer from Kingwa, makes me think also his priority is elsewhere. A bit surprising.
In my unit, the wires are glued to the board, did you have to get the black glue off before soldering?
Regards, David

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #4,603 of 11,275
I went back to V3S. I don't use the TDA simulations, and I like the flexibility of changing NOS modes. The ability to turn dither on and off was welcome, but I'll ping Kingwa to see what we can come up with.

Caveat - personally, I find the need for Synchronous or Asychronous to be very (preceding) gear dependent (same with PLL etc). So, everyone's MMV.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #4,605 of 11,275
@ItsAllInMyHead Thanks. Best feature of these DACs is the ability change firmware and modes. Great for getting maximum performance and fine tuning a system. And you never have to wait long for something new to try!

Agreed. If I could add just a bit to it (not putting words into your mouth)... I love that the fundamentals of the builds are (at least to me) spot on. Great analog sections, great power supplies, well-constructed DA boards, and solid input stages... AND it's all modular. The controversy over some measurements... meh! So, rather than generate e-waste with every new thing in an entirely new box, we get to reuse/recycle/repurpose with a bit of elbow grease and knowledge. The fact that Kingwa allows us to update our DACs when some other companies would want to sell an entirely new DAC for a software change is my favorite aspect. With full clarity, there have been some things I would have liked to be a bit better out of the box, but he's made literally everything better for me as far as the listening experience at little to no additional cost.

I also got to learn quite a bit from someone I admire along the way. He's a true gentleman, and I couldn't be happier. I took an R2R 11 and an NFB 11.38 to a buddy with the serial numbers blocked over for him to blind A/B last week. Now, he wants to come by and hear some of the other gear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back