New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #4,397 of 11,282
I've read through most of this thread and I'm considering an R7. Thank you to all contributors. I'm trying to understand the benefit of the HE over the non-HE. It seems it is USB related. Is there more? I'd planned to get a Singxer SU-6 if I get the R7. With the HE, is this needed or is USB input a better solution.
The he has a regnerative psu that is optimized for its application. I think it is worth the extra money. It's an amazing dac that can do it all.

The power regeneration helps with noisy power grids. It means the ac from the grid is converted to dc, then reconverted back to ac with low distorsion in the ac wave. I have not auditioned any Aqua product.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #4,398 of 11,282
And to clarify the Amanero USB board that ships with almost all AGD DACs has recent power changes (6-9 months ago ?). Local power for the board changed to a regenerative type plus a linear regulator (class A). Also you can also purchase an option to upgrade the two Amanero board oscillators for lower jitter.

But as FredA mentioned above with his new R-7HE DAC he still prefers the Gustard U16 HDMI I2S.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #4,399 of 11,282
And to clarify the Amanero USB board that ships with almost all AGD DACs has recent power changes (6-9 months ago ?). Local power for the board changed to a regenerative type plus a linear regulator (class A). Also you can also purchase an option to upgrade the two Amanero board oscillators for lower jitter.

But as FredA mentioned above with his new R-7HE DAC he still prefers the Gustard U16 HDMI I2S.
Regenerative on the usb? Are you sure?

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,401 of 11,282
Absolutely not! LOL i thought I understood the Amanero USB isolator change but apparently runs on 3.3V. Here’s a good description of the new add-on board. Sorry for confusion...

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/audio-gd-usb-isolator-for-amanero-p-12696.html
Ok. That's what i tought.

I found that the m3 was lacking a bit of punch in my setup at times. The r7-he brings that missing punch, so i am really lucky with how it fits in. Going all Audio-gd and Acss is now beyond any expections i had. Of course one can expect good synergy, but with the HE, it is... perfect. :). The bass is like on the best nights with the r7 pretty much all the time.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,403 of 11,282
@FredA Glad I found the Audiophonics link as they provide installation steps for the Amanero I2S isolator board. The isolated Amanero requires USB +5V input to power the USB chip and clocks where the non-isolated Amanero combo 384 ran it all from DAC 3.3V. In this latest iteration DAC 3.3V just powers the isolated I2S output signals.

I’m still wrong on my original assumption and won’t be the last time! Just have to make sure USB power is OK moving to the isolated Amanero board.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=823

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,404 of 11,282
Hello Guys,
Has anyone of you tried the R8, R7 or R7-HE against any similar priced Denafrips DAC?
Denafrips DACs have got rave reviews and opinions on Internet and I´ve just got curious!
Well, there are few people that have heard both dacs. @remoss, if i am not mistaken, some people on french forums and the guy who reviewed the original r2r-7 for 6 Moon. If remember correctly, the guy in 6 Moon mentioned the r2r-7 was worth 1000$ more, which coincidently was the price of the Terminator at the time. In any case, it was pretty much even between the two at that time or the Terminator had a slight edge. Since then, the R7 has improved by 3 notches including the fw updates. It is fair to say the regeneration gives at least one notch, maybe two. With the change left buying the HE instead of the Terminator (6000usd), you can buy a M1 and 2/3 of a M3. So... :). And you most likely have a better dac. :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #4,405 of 11,282
Well, there are few people that have heard both dacs. @remoss, if i am not mistaken, some people on french forums and the guy who reviewed the original r2r-7 for 6 Moon. If remember correctly, the guy in 6 Moon mentioned the r2r-7 was worth 1000$ more, which coincidently was the price of the Terminator at the time. In any case, it was pretty much even between the two at that time or the Terminator had a slight edge. Since then, the R7 has improved by 3 notches including the fw updates. It is fair to say the regeneration gives at least one notch, maybe two. With the change left buying the HE instead of the Terminator (6000usd), you can buy a M1 and 2/3 of a M3. So... :). And you most likely have a better dac. :)
I remember one French guy who owned the terminator, sold it and purchased the R2R7 - before all upgrades like DA7v2, firmwares nad AS38B clock upgrades.. Can't find his post but it should be in this thread.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #4,406 of 11,282
I am thinking about pulling out the ACSS connections and replacing them with standard size XLRs. Or swapping the wiring from the ACSSs to the XLRs.
Doing so will allow me a lot more options for ACSS interconnects. Any issues with this?

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #4,407 of 11,282
Thank you guys
I just have a comment from the guy I sold my R2R-2. He compared it with the Denafrip Ares (similar price) and he said that the R2 (first version) had more presence in the mids and lows, but the Ares was more neutral.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #4,408 of 11,282
I am thinking about pulling out the ACSS connections and replacing them with standard size XLRs. Or swapping the wiring from the ACSSs to the XLRs.
Doing so will allow me a lot more options for ACSS interconnects. Any issues with this?
Well as long as the same is done on the receiving end, which has to be an acss input, i don't see any issue. Using xlr cables to carry acss will bring excellent results.

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,409 of 11,282

I don’t see any issue swapping ACSS to the regular XLRs. The mini-XLRs are a pain to solder plus you are limited to the thinnest wires to make them fit inside the connector housing.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #4,410 of 11,282
I don’t see any issue swapping ACSS to the regular XLRs. The mini-XLRs are a pain to solder plus you are limited to the thinnest wires to make them fit inside the connector housing.
Yep, I agree. I made a few pairs of ACSS cables. Not many wire options for the ACSSs especially if you want to use shielded wires. Also, a lot more options in XLR connectors.

I’m leaning towards replacing the ACSSs (instead of swapping wires) to retain the XLR connectivity with regular XLR.

Thinking about using these:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cHkKtHf6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back