New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,381 of 11,282
I have just mentioned to Kingwa how good the DA-7 V2 are IMO.

The v1s were slightly better than the pcm1704k, which is no small achievement.

As for the v2, they are in a new category above. These are truly exceptional boards. The sound is addictive.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #4,382 of 11,282
@FredA The V2 DAC boards have more depth and less grain. Better tonal balance. I am curious about what the HE power supplies add to the experience. More transparency? That would be nice.

Accusilicon XOs, TDA asy firmware, and a low jitter source add to the totality of the experience. Enjoy Fred! Best is yet to come...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4,383 of 11,282
@FredA The V2 DAC boards have more depth and less grain. Better tonal balance. I am curious about what the HE power supplies add to the experience. More transparency? That would be nice.

Accusilicon XOs, TDA asy firmware, and a low jitter source add to the totality of the experience. Enjoy Fred! Best is yet to come...
I can't point what gives what, but the r7-he as a whole is so fluid and resolved, everything is so well delineated. And it needs another 300 hours at least for the burn in to be done. It's already addictive. It is really something very special. Wes Montgomery's guitar is so alive. Can't stop listening. PRAT is awesome.

Kingwa said some customers stated the he-1 brought as much improvment... Next year. :gs1000smile:

The treble is perfect.. Absolutely grainless.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #4,384 of 11,282
I can't point what gives what, but the r7-he as a whole is so fluid and resolved, everything is so well delineated. And it needs another 300 hours at least for the burn in to be done. It's already addictive. It is really something very special. Wes Montgomery's guitar is so alive. Can't stop listening. PRAT is awesome.

Kingwa said some customers stated the he-1 brought as much improvment... Next year. :gs1000smile:

The treble is perfect.. Absolutely grainless.
This temps me to trade in my R2R7 for HER7, I wonder if either Magna or Kingwa himself accepts trade in or not ?

Too bad Kingwa is no longer making the regenerator alone, for some reason.
The other thing is, would using something this:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-power-plant-12/

to hook up non HE Audio-GD DACs, amps give similar or even better results ?

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #4,385 of 11,282
This temps me to trade in my R2R7 for HER7, I wonder if either Magna or Kingwa himself accepts trade in or not ?

Too bad Kingwa is no longer making the regenerator alone, for some reason.
The other thing is, would using something this:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-power-plant-12/

to hook up non HE Audio-GD DACs, amps give similar or even better results ?
The audio-gd regen is class-a. The premier is class-d. The distorsion level in the ac is lower with class-a according to Kingwa. And this makes it better.

Having a built-in regen allows for optimization so it beats an external regen Kingwa said. But plugging all you gears (except power amp) on the he-350 could bring an overall bigger upgrade. Going with all regen models is best however.

Kingwa does not do trade-in.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #4,386 of 11,282
Waiter! Make it two notches. I just put back the u16, i won't get rid of it anytime soon.

I hear the effect of the upgraded xos on Chet Baker's Chet, the first track. More air, cymbals having more clarity. Quite something. This dac sounds amazingly well already. The coloration has gone. Was the amanero... Timing is everything at this level.

Hi Fred. Congrats!
It is really good to hear that the R7HE already performs to Your satisfaction and it is well deserved. It will mature further, be sure of that. It is a keeper for You, I am sure. The regen. power supply has been living its own "temperature-life" in the first weeks in the 1541. I measured over 100 grC on the big transformers the first days core but now it has setteled around 75-80 grC. I guess You also should keep an eye on this the first weeks.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #4,387 of 11,282
Hi Fred. Congrats!
It is really good to hear that the R7HE already performs to Your satisfaction and it is well deserved. It will mature further, be sure of that. It is a keeper for You, I am sure. The regen. power supply has been living its own "temperature-life" in the first weeks in the 1541. I measured over 100 grC on the big transformers the first days core but now it has setteled around 75-80 grC. I guess You also should keep an eye on this the first weeks.

/Jan
Thanks Jan. I will not keep the r7-he on 24/7. Not even once it's settled. Last night, the cover was around 50C, so i figured the primary transfo was burning hot.

It sure is a keeper. Maybe the best i have heard ever. I can't get over how good it sounds already.

I went to bed very late.

I don't know how long i can resist before i buy the He1. I have two potential customers for my m1. Not sure i will but...

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #4,388 of 11,282
I get nervous operating equipment in close proximity and stagnant air. A large +12V muffin fan operated at half voltage (+6V) blows a gentle, silent stream of air across my equipment rack. Doesn't take much air flow (at sea level) to keep things much cooler.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4,389 of 11,282
I get nervous operating equipment in close proximity and stagnant air. A large +12V muffin fan operated at half voltage (+6V) blows a gentle, silent stream of air across my equipment rack. Doesn't take much air flow (at sea level) to keep things much cooler.
i will turn off the m3 and HE every night.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #4,390 of 11,282
The sound is crisper with the r7-he. I believe it's in big part because the Accusilicons. This makes Wes Montgomery a real treat to listen too.

Also, i was looking for less variability in sound quality, it seems like the HE (regen) gives me just that. This also bring a clear gain in resolution. It is having an even better sound than before on the best days and also on the bad days, which in fact are not bad, just not as perfect.

I also re-iterate the same observation about the boards: smoother, less shouty. They are top-notch, ones that can satisfy the most demanding audiophile out there. As i friendly stated to Kingwa, the r7-he is a total succes. A top player in the major leagues, one that has no flaw soundwise. It is huge and runs hot but it performs so well, i could not care less. It needs an excellent external ddc to really show all it can do, the Amanero sounding very well but adding some unwanted coloration. With the u16, it's a perfect match and really neutral as i prefer. You do not want to hear an audio component. You just want the music.

The layering is outstanding. The higher resolution brings you this, in addition to better imaging, more air around the instruments and better microdynamics.

It still retains the same attributes as the original r7, only it's like good wine, it got better with time and relentless efforts from Kingwa to improve both the sw and hw.

The r8 not broken in already compared favorably to an Aqua dac worth over 10k. My assumption is the r7-he is up there with the big guys in the 10 to 20k price range.

I also stated to Kingwa that in the recollection i have of the best turntables i heard, the r7-he has a treble that is as grainless.

As i said, this dac is very hard to fault. But i don't feel like it's a giant killer.

I think it's a giant.

It deserves recognition and so does Kingwa. Great work my friend.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4,391 of 11,282
@FredA Great summary and agree with all your points. AGD shipped three R-7HEs this past week plus some more R7s. This is a week after your DAC shipped out. Everyone is ordering Accusilicon XO upgrades on the higher end DACs. Word is getting out.

All I can say is I like Kingwa’s vision for a transparent DAC. A DAC that has no coloration and just disappears. Hope future products are even more transparent.

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #4,392 of 11,282
@FredA Great summary and agree with all your points. AGD shipped three R-7HEs this past week plus some more R7s. This is a week after your DAC shipped out. Everyone is ordering Accusilicon XO upgrades on the higher end DACs. Word is getting out.

All I can say is I like Kingwa’s vision for a transparent DAC. A DAC that has no coloration and just disappears. Hope future products are even more transparent.
This is the ultimate goal. These great performers we listen to, we want their expressivity to shine through. I know it's Kingwa's goal. I am so glad he gave the Accusilicons a try. Having such high-quality XOs is now mandatory to compete with the very best and i think it also helps with developing the fw and hw.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #4,393 of 11,282
Hello thread contributors. I want to thank everyone for their valuable contributions. I've read through a lot of this thread and it has made my interest in the R7 very high. I'm in the market for R2R DAC. I've gone through a lot of DACs over the last 15-20 years or so and my favorite was a Metrum Pavane L3. I wish I'd kept it but it's just been a (expensive) hobby to try different DACs and although I don't have a lot of DSD, DSD was still something I always thought about. I'm currently using a Chord Qutest. It is a good sounding DAC, but I've had several I've enjoyed a lot more and I'm ready to move on. As I'm approaching retirement, I'd like to get something I will hold on to for a few years. I'm debating on:
1) R7
2) Kitsune Holo Spring v2
3) Aqua La Voce S3
4) Aqua La Scala (demo previous version)

I would use a Singxer SU-6 with 1 and 2.

Since reviews are scarce, I'm looking for advice from the experienced R7 users and hopefully and users with Aqua listening experience.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4,394 of 11,282
I've read through most of this thread and I'm considering an R7. Thank you to all contributors. I'm trying to understand the benefit of the HE over the non-HE. It seems it is USB related. Is there more? I'd planned to get a Singxer SU-6 if I get the R7. With the HE, is this needed or is USB input a better solution.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #4,395 of 11,282
The differences between R-7HE and the R7 are power supply related. The HEs use regenerative power supplies. This is intended to give users cleaner power. HE power affects all circuits (not just the USB)

The HEs tend to be physically larger and run hotter as a result of the regenerative supplies. Never heard one but would like to have the pleasure.

You will still need a really good DDC for best sound capability with either powered DAC. The SU-6 or Gustard U16 sound excellent with either variation of DAC power.

There's a write-up about HE regenerative supplies on the R-7HE spec page, (1 section down from the top).
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/R7HE/R7HEEN.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back