New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #4,366 of 11,279
If Gustard has a dedicated LPS would then sound superior than the SU-6 ?

My U16 will not get any further investment or even playtime until Gustard fixes the firmware.

superior static #$^%*)U#$^

SU-6 flawless since day 1 :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,368 of 11,279
In PCM operation the SU-6 functions the same as the SU-1/ F1. Even uses the same Windows driver so is a drop-in replacement. The Singxers work flawlessly with my PCs.

The Gustard U16 works better using ASIO output on my system particularly sampling rates above 96K. Still has a couple minor issues but tolerable.

@DACLadder
I don't use my computer for my transport or my computer anywhere in the system. I'm using an Aurender N100H for my Server/Transport. In my case, would the Singxer SU-6 be worth the money over the Gustard U16?

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #4,370 of 11,279
@DACLadder
I don't have a U16 or a SU-1 or SU-6. That why I was wondering if I buy one, should I spend $650 for the SU-6 over the $400 U-16? I have no problem with spending the extra if it sounds better and will be less troublesome.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,372 of 11,279
@DACLadder
I don't have a U16 or a SU-1 or SU-6. That why I was wondering if I buy one, should I spend $650 for the SU-6 over the $400 U-16? I have no problem with spending the extra if it sounds better and will be less troublesome.

Then the U16 is unknown until proven. I did though use both the U16 and SU-1 with the Allo Usbridge. Both seemed to work OK until the Usbridge stopped working and reason for the N100H questions. But statistically the SU-6 is likely to have fewer operational issues.

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #4,373 of 11,279
@DACLadder

I have had the Aurender for a little over a month. I am working on a report of it to add to this Audio-gd thread but would like 90 days with it before doing so. I was thinking of building my own Server like someone else did earlier in this thread but thought a dedicated Server that doesn't use Windows might be better. The Aurender N100H has an Ethernet connection and two USB inputs for external hard drives, but only a USB output. The H100C model adds a coaxial output for an extra $500 or $600 (don't recall the exact amount). Thousands more can be spent for an Aurender model that has a compete selection of outputs or just spend hundreds to add a Singxer or Gustard. The Aurender requires Ethernet for unit setup or Internet streaming but does not require Ethernet for playing your own files after initial setup and having your files transferred to the Aurender, in fact, your computer doesn't even have to be turned on to use the Aurender. Files can be played from the internal Aurender HD or from (or in addition to) a NAS drive. In addition to the internal storage HD, the Aurender has a small SSD the music is cached to for less noise distortion in the sound during playback. A user can request factory support right from the Conductor app, but I haven't had to use that feature yet.

The conductor player is pretty straight forward but I am still finding out new things about it all the time. I haven't been able to find a thorough tutorial yet. I wasn't an IOS guy so I had to buy an iPad to run the the Aurender because the Android app is still in Beta and hasn't been upgraded as promised for years. Neither has Roon or a desktop app been added as promised for quite some time. I still miss using foobar 2000 because I like the simplicity of that interface. I do like the way Conductor integrates Tidal (but it could be better) where I can add a Tidal album to my Conductor Collection so if I have an artist I like and am missing some of his digital albums on my HD, the album I previously selected on Tidal appears with the albums I do have. Playlists can have both self-owned songs mixed with songs from Tidal. Your Tidal account can be used from only one app at a time, so if you have Tidal open on your computer or phone, it won't work on the Aurender until you log off from the other device.

I don't have any DSD files so so I can't answer that question. When doing quick A to B comparisons playing music (PCM up to 24/192 files) with my computer or Aurender shortly after getting the Aurender, the differences did not seem huge, but after long term use with the Aurender, the computer sounds extremely harsh and I can't listen for long. With the Aurender, I never want to stop listening, but the Aurender benefits GREATLY from an upgraded power cable. I use the Audio Sensibility Statement power cable, which at $380 US may seem expensive compared to the $1,700 I spent for the Aurender, but it was well worth it after comparing some lesser expensive and equally expensive cables. Sound quality from Tidal Streaming also improved quite a bit by adding a 2-meter Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet cable between the Ethernet switch next to my Computer and the Aurender. I am considering adding an audiophile modified Ethernet switch in the future.

I would love to compare the Aurender to a Server/Player from Innous. Is there anyone in Northern Illinois with an Innous that wants to have an Aurender/Innous shootout? (I will be at the ZMF headphone gathering in Chicago 5 October 2019 with my gear.)

With the N100h all over the internet for around $1,700 used I couldn't pass up trying it. (I saw one the other day listed for $1,400.)

Now, after typing all this up, I don't think I will write a review later. Instead, I will just answer questions anyone may have.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #4,374 of 11,279
@DACLadder

Quick update.

I just located some DSD files that came on the Aurender. I only get one quite "pop" sound when selecting the play button, but no music coming from the Aurender. The "pop" sound makes me suspect the M7S is the problem. When recently requesting help because the Optical input of my M7S wasn't working, Kingwa sent me firmware upgrades "R7V3 is the last generation firmware with optical on IN4. R7 tda is the latest firmware for it.+" From that description, I am not sure which one I am supposed to install. I need both the USB and Optical inputs on the M7S to work. USB for the Aurender and Toslink for the computer.

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #4,376 of 11,279
The r7-he came in today with the tda firmware. Perfect cosmetic condition, the box had only minor dents in it. Kudos to Kingwa and his mates.. They even included a micro-USB to perform fw updates.

So far, as mentioned by many comparing with the regular version, it is a little better with imaging, it has more definition, quite a bit more and it is also smoother. And it is out of the box. I will have to wait for several weeks before making a definitive statement but as it is now, it is a quite a bit better, let's say a notch better on my usual scale. Take note that my r7 still has the old da boards and TCXOs.

There is more coloration in the sound than with the r7, which i attribute to the new output stages. Could be the Amanero too cause i gave a rest to the u16. The Amanero is close to the u16. To soon again to make a statement. Having crystek xos helps it seems.

Also, the XOs and da boards need way more time, but it sure won't be frustrating hours as they can be with a new dac cause the sound is excellent already.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #4,377 of 11,279
Waiter! Make it two notches. I just put back the u16, i won't get rid of it anytime soon.

I hear the effect of the upgraded xos on Chet Baker's Chet, the first track. More air, cymbals having more clarity. Quite something. This dac sounds amazingly well already. The coloration has gone. Was the amanero... Timing is everything at this level.

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #4,380 of 11,279
Kingwa sent me firmware upgrades "R7V3 is the last generation firmware with optical on IN4. R7 tda is the latest firmware for it.+" From that description, I am not sure which one I am supposed to install. I need both the USB and Optical inputs on the M7S to work. USB for the Aurender and Toslink for the computer.

The last R7 firmware release that supported optical on Input 4 are the V3 versions. TDA only supports I2S on input 4.

V3A is actually very good with the latest XO and DAC module changes. TDA seems to shine best with a low jitter I2S source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back