1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Audio-gd R7 (R2R 7) & R8 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. Wynnytsky
    On the left with the silver face is a 200watt HDPlex powering an iFi iUSB3.0 and a computer that's in a black SilverStone SST-VT01B case.
    I stacked my computer on the Tanly which is currently out of the chain -- forgot to remove before filming.
    In the computer I used an STX AsRock mobo with a 35watt i5-7600T cpu (low profile stock cooler).

Mobos with DC input (100/200 series thin mini-ITX and STX) put the M.2 SSD in very close proximity to the northbridge and easily overheats in a fanless case.
    So I had to choose between having an M.2 NVMe boot drive with active cooling (splashing air on SSD), or a 2.5" SSD boot drive with passive cooling (which I've done twice before using HDPlex's case).
    Turns out Intel's stock cooler runs VERY quiet when cooling a 35watt CPU (especially with the quiet setting in the BIOS) so I have no regrets.
    I also have a 7th gen i3 NUC (15watt) and that's way quieter than the 4th gen equivalent. I recommend using a NUC until the skies clear up for the Intel scene (10nm cannonlake, optane, etc). What a mess.

2. remoss
    Articnoise, FredA and abrusc like this.
  3. mocenigo
    My experience with the Soekris dac1541 and the Gustard x20 as well. The Gustard x20 sounds better if I upsample in the computer, the Soekris dac1541 sounds better if I do not upsample.

Roberto

4. FredA
    Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

5. gk2013
    remoss likes this.
  6. D2Girls
    Is this better or worse sounding then the schiit yggrisdal?

HoloSpice likes this.
  7. Fatdoi
    well waiting on Currawong to do this comparo

HoloSpice and PeterCraig like this.
  8. drez

wink likes this.
  9. Wynnytsky
    I interpret Drez's empty msg as a drum request

drez likes this.
  10. D2Girls
    I don't trust him

Articnoise likes this.
  11. HoloSpice
    Lol.... Hes not that bad.

D2Girls likes this.
  12. HoloSpice
    I want to see a comparison between r2r7 vs Denafrips venus and Pontus dac

13. Wynnytsky
    It was the r2r7 or Pontus for me, but in July I didn't see any paypal support on vinshineaudio (it's there now)
    So, that made my choice easy.

R2R7 is $1000 more, twice the power consumption, twice the weight
    So that right there tells me the R2R7 is gonna have a richer, warmer sound, with more weight behind it
    (but I've been wrong before)

HoloSpice likes this.
  14. FredA
    I would be inclined to say you need at least the Venus to have a competition. The r2r 2 is probably a better match for the pontus. On paper at least (less Thd+noise), the r2r 7 even beats the Terminator.

15. HoloSpice
    "R2R 7 beats the terminator."

Lol

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last