New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #11,251 of 11,259
They matter nothing next to DI20HE. N1 or N0 is the best.

OS 2-8x gives more clarity/refinement. Like changing cables from copper to silver. It is best to use this setting DAC only, not with DI20HE. For N1 and NO they are different, but these filters are not worth talking about compared what DI20HE can do. N1 is NOS and NO is the new NOS mode which I find best with master clock last time I had the OCK-2. Why worry about the other DACs when DI20HE/R1N will beat them anyway? :L3000:

I have not yet been fan of any upscaling/oversampling filters. If a DAC can not satisfy at 16/44.1 and makes me go for absurd upscale numbers, thats a red flag.

I don´t know for sure but if I should recommend you a DAC I would choose a sound between the R1N and R8H2.

If the R27 series can give you a close sound to R8MK3. I have had the R27RE in my mind for some time in hopes to replace my R1N and give a Master 19 quality sound, so I could use the ACSS input on HE9 for the R8H2....

R8MK3 or R27RE will be my recommendation. I think the last one most

...but this leads to HE-9 LE and R1N....so many combinations
Great, I agree the NOS of R1N is really spectacular. I don't like dismissing other DAC's because I simply haven't heard them. I want to try the new schiit gungnir 2 coming this summer, we'll see.

I'm to the point where getting an AIO is very ideal. Would love to have a rack full of AGD gear but currently I don't have a rack or the space at all.
I have a strong feeling that the HE9LE would be going too far for me. It's not that I don't think I'd like it, it's more like I believe that I've already hit the point of diminishing returns, and now I'm more interested in simplification. Just the R-1N alone has gotten me so very far up the ladder.

The price difference between DI-24HE + R-1N + HE-9LE or DI-24HE + R-27RE.... the latter is less expensive and you have HE power on all units.

The three unit stack just seems outrageous to me, just a DDC and the AIO really clicks in my head. My OCD does get triggered trying to imagine how to make two different width chassis look good together on a rack though. Eye candy does play a part in the hobby :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #11,252 of 11,259
They matter nothing next to DI20HE. N1 or N0 is the best.

OS 2-8x gives more clarity/refinement. Like changing cables from copper to silver. It is best to use this setting DAC only, not with DI20HE. For N1 and NO they are different, but these filters are not worth talking about compared what DI20HE can do. N1 is NOS and NO is the new NOS mode which I find best with master clock last time I had the OCK-2. Why worry about the other DACs when DI20HE/R1N will beat them anyway? :L3000:

I have not yet been fan of any upscaling/oversampling filters. If a DAC can not satisfy at 16/44.1 and makes me go for absurd upscale numbers, thats a red flag.

I don´t know for sure but if I should recommend you a DAC I would choose a sound between the R1N and R8H2.

If the R27 series can give you a close sound to R8MK3. I have had the R27RE in my mind for some time in hopes to replace my R1N and give a Master 19 quality sound, so I could use the ACSS input on HE9 for the R8H2....

R8MK3 or R27RE will be my recommendation. I think the last one most

...but this leads to HE-9 LE and R1N....so many combinations
Adding a top ddc like the di20he to a synchronous dac like the r1-nos is indeed a big step forward. It does bring a very significant upgrade. The r2r 11 mkii plays like a dac worth a lot more when fed a high-quality spdif signal. And you can use sw upsampling to get
a sharper sound. In Volumio, the top-quality level of oversampling works really well. Staging is very impressive.

Getting a setup that sound as well on headphones vs speakers is tough. I did find a set of planar headphones that comes really close to my speakers.

Some headphones will keep the sound closed in. Both the dac and cans have an influence on this.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #11,256 of 11,259
R27 owners...I use mine as a preamp for gaming/tv/music and I LOOOOOOVE it. Does it matter if I keep it on all the time or if I turn it on and off when I use it or don't use it?
Kingwa says you can leave it on all the time but as with any class A amp, heat tends to build up. Excessive exposure to heat causes wear on electronics. The temperature changes from being on and off also contribute to wear as well but I think its the lesser of two evils.

I just turn off my amps when not in use. The other devices like the dac, ddc, master clock, I leave on all the time because they don't really build up much heat.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #11,257 of 11,259
Damn that glass top makes it look so nice.

Looks like alot more vents for heat dissipation as well.

Glass3.jpg

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #11,259 of 11,259
What do you think about the R27MK2?
It is nearly the same price as R8MK3 but has a bigger PS for the digital section.
Just curious...
Price difference is too small to recommend 27mk2 over the RE model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back