New Audio-gd NFB-8 (WM)
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #106 of 140

Quote:
They sell that type of cable.

Thanks that's good to know. Is it part of the master series cables?
I standard ACSS cable has had mixed reviews so I would probably want something better.

My Artisan Ultimate Silver Dream Balanced cables have arrived and are currently burning in
bigsmile_face.gif

Already heard an obvious improvement, although the ROC being fully balanced now will have an effect on that.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #107 of 140
Check the back of your NFB-8 to make sure it has the new mini-xlr connector. If it does, and your roc has the old connector, you need a classic/new cable.

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/CablesEN.htm

Xlr can sound very good, you can delay on an acss cable without missing out much.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #108 of 140

Quote:
"Thanks that's good to know. Is it part of the master series cables?
I standard ACSS cable has had mixed reviews so I would probably want something better."

When I inquired about a Master Series cable for my DAC19-DPS/C2.1 Audio GD said that they were a complete redesign from what I (and you) have.

The cable mentioned above is what I have. If you order a set of cables from Audio GD buy a set of 4 extra connectors (2 of each kind) so you can make or have some one make you a custom ACSS cable with the wire of your choice.

The cables you just received should sound very good.

Some custom ACSS cable reviews are here www.tweak-fi.com

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #109 of 140

Quote:
He's said his personal preference is for neutral, or more descriptively, true to recording, even though he may prefer coloration for certain genres, for example some vocals. In his Chinese audio articles, he gives his opinion that high fidelity is about getting as close to the sound of real life performance as possible, and he uses the memory of real life sound as his benchmark. He also acknowledges that different audio designers and audiophiles have different interpretations of neutral. I'd warn you against reading his Chinese audio articles unless you're prepared to peer into the brain of a truly hardcore audiophile
tongue.gif
, some of the things he says will be totally indigestible to casual audiophiles. Here's a comparision Kingwa did between one of his pcm1704 dac's and one of his es9018 dac's.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QyP4UnwZqoZh2jNqyJ2ZPE5ez1r3g0GuHFYSRWShO2I/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CKSQuhI

I've read that a while back, thanks for the link though. I will say this, Kingwa told me specifically he prefers the Wolfson over the ESS and thought the ESS was too bright. Now here's the thing, no one who has owned the NFB7 has said it sounds too bright/analytical (not even pacificvalve) but some have mentioned (see Macrog's comments) that the NFB8 does sound warmer. From this I deduce Kingwa does have a preference for warmth.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #111 of 140

Quote:
I've read that a while back, thanks for the link though. I will say this, Kingwa told me specifically he prefers the Wolfson over the ESS and thought the ESS was too bright. Now here's the thing, no one who has owned the NFB7 has said it sounds too bright/analytical (not even pacificvalve) but some have mentioned (see Macrog's comments) that the NFB8 does sound warmer. From this I deduce Kingwa does have a preference for warmth.

The NFB-7 sounds very neutral to me. Its still burning in so that may change. I actually expected it to be a lot brighter than it is.It does sound warm in the midrange but extended and clean in the hf's. The fact that it also has a very deep, weighty, tight and impactful bass also gives the impression of warmth.
One of the reasons I did not go with the NFB-8 or previously the Ref7 was because I did not want it too warm.Listening to the NFB-7 I am very glad I did not. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #112 of 140
When you run the nfb-7 balanced it should sound less warm. If you are hunting for xlr cables, I really like monoprice's premier xlr cables, they have a very good price and quality.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #115 of 140

Quote:
Can someone please measure the width of the chassis, between the feet? My rack is 41cm wide and I think the NFB-8 would probably be too wide for it. Thanks

I think it should fit. The chassis is 43cm deep and if its like with the ref 5 then the feet are 3,5cm from the edge.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #116 of 140

Quote:
Can someone please measure the width of the chassis, between the feet? My rack is 41cm wide and I think the NFB-8 would probably be too wide for it. Thanks

The feet are 13 inches/33cm apart. Full chassis width is 43 cm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back