New Audio-gd NFB-8 (WM)
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #62 of 140
Not even with isolation feet ?

Kingwa recommends against it, but if you must do it, use some kind of electrical isolation such as paper, wood, rubber, cork, etc.
IME, it's really gear dependent. Most SS gear isn't super sensitive, so you should be fine stacking components as long as you use some kind of isolation.

J

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #64 of 140
from experience the sound quality of A-G DACs deteriorate if they are too close to other equipment.

Probably big enough spacers would minimise this but I certainly would never put metal spacers on top of it.

Regards

Macrog

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #65 of 140

Quote:
from experience the sound quality of A-G DACs deteriorate if they are too close to other equipment.

Probably big enough spacers would minimise this but I certainly would never put metal spacers on top of it.

Regards

Macrog

Deteriorate?  Really?  The cabinet of the NFB-8 is a tank, I can't imagine a change in sound due to stacking and I thought Kingwa mentions using an insulator when stacking because the feet are aluminum.  I have mine on a shelf but I didn't notice a difference between stacking the C2 and DAC 19 versus putting them on shelves.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #66 of 140
is NFB-8 on the warm side or the neutral side? based on my understanding neutral is good for classical music and warm is good for vocal? I am looking for a DAC for the logitech squeezebox touch, and I like warmer sound, is NFB-8 a good choice?

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #67 of 140

Quote:
is NFB-8 on the warm side or the neutral side? based on my understanding neutral is good for classical music and warm is good for vocal? I am looking for a DAC for the logitech squeezebox touch, and I like warmer sound, is NFB-8 a good choice?

The NFB-8 is a great choice because the NFB-8 is neutral and detailed.   The warm I believe is attributed to an absence of harshness or artifacts in the mids and highs.  There is simply no fatigue when listening to quality recordings.  Kingwa says that the NFB-8 WM is closer to the Ref 7 than the NFB-7 ESS chip and the Ref 7 is the flagship Audio gd DAC.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #68 of 140

Quote:
The NFB-8 is a great choice because the NFB-8 is neutral and detailed.   The warm I believe is attributed to an absence of harshness or artifacts in the mids and highs.  There is simply no fatigue when listening to quality recordings.  Kingwa says that the NFB-8 WM is closer to the Ref 7 than the NFB-7 ESS chip and the Ref 7 is the flagship Audio gd DAC.

I ordered mine today... I choose the NFB8 over the NFB7 because of the "warm side ".  I already owned a REF5 and I have no fatigue with that DAC. I just sold an analytical pro audio DAC because, even though the details were phenomenal, I could not listen to more than one album....I felt the sound was too agressive...

I hope I made a good choice....like I did with the REF5

I should receive it some times in July...

Denys

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #69 of 140
Had been thinking for a long time between the NFB-8 and LITE's DAC83. At the end i today pulled the trigger on a Parasound DAC 2000
normal_smile%20.gif
Hope you will get what you were looking for.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #70 of 140

Quote:

I ordered mine today... I choose the NFB8 over the NFB7 because of the "warm side ".  I already owned a REF5 and I have no fatigue with that DAC. I just sold an analytical pro audio DAC because, even though the details were phenomenal, I could not listen to more than one album....I felt the sound was too agressive...

Denys

Looking forward to your impressions of your new NFB-8.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #71 of 140

Quote:

Denys

let me know how you like it compared to REF5, Denys. I am also considering of getting it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #72 of 140

Quote:
let me know how you like it compared to REF5, Denys. I am also considering of getting it.

I just received it last Saturday...with the new chassis....

This thing is heavy.....of course, I'll wait a bit before giving the final impression, but my first thoughts are that suddendly my living room seems "wider".... like if on the stage, musicians have more place...

I remember more the sound of my previous dac in my living room as my REF5 is used in my bedroom with my headphone amp....

I will come back with more impressions later on...

Also, my friend will leave for three weks in France in August and he will let me his Wyred 4 Sound 2 he just got a month ago.... So, I will compare the three of them.... The three most popular DAC chips now on the market in the $1000 to $1500 range..... it should be interesting...

Denys

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #74 of 140
I have pulled the pin on a nfb-8 with the integrated amplifer c500 or c501.   From what I read connecting these two with acss is the best way to go. I have the nfb-12 for my hd650 in my office and the sound is really on the money.
At the moment I have a rotel 1080 being supplied by a beresford caiman as a preamp/dac.  I should think this switch to the nfb-8 with the c500 will be a good upgrade.  Speakers are a NZ brand called Image revelations.

I presume the nfb-12 will be very similar in sound to the nfb-8. 
Any more impressions would be good of the nfb-8 and if anyone has a c500/c501
Cheers
Jason 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back