New Audio GD "Fun" Next best bang for buck???
Jan 4, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jeffjazz

New Head-Fier
Looks like the Audio GD 19MKIII is off their site and has been replaced by this new DAC/ Headphone amp/ preamp.

It has user replaceable DACs and output stages and can be bought in three different configurations. Looks like a killer DAC and may be on the same level if not better than the 19MkIII. I sent an email to them inquiring about the differences between the two. We will see. Anyone have any more info on it?
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 6
I think this is replacing the Compass and not the Dac-19, which is supposed to come back this month.

I'm fairly sure this'll be inferior to the DAC-19 anyway, since I highly doubt Audio-GD could develop a better DAC, stick a headphone amp with it, and sell it for $200 less. Economics aside, this uses AD1852 and WM8740, instead of the PCM1704 in the DAC-19, which is better.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 6
It looks like all of the units are swappable anyway with you being given the option to choose before ordering. I don't expect you'd be able to wire a PCM1704 unit in there without mad skillz and a larger casing though.

AmpCity: Audio GD Fun
Enjoy a cheeky link on my behalf.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Many people (including myself) have been harassing kingwa to make that module :p Im gonna guess that if it's possible he'll make it when there's enough fun owners out there, or at least thats the vibe I got
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the Audio GD 19MKIII is off their site and has been replaced by this new DAC/ Headphone amp/ preamp.

It has user replaceable DACs and output stages and can be bought in three different configurations. Looks like a killer DAC and may be on the same level if not better than the 19MkIII. I sent an email to them inquiring about the differences between the two. We will see. Anyone have any more info on it?
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

As mentioned by others in this thread, the FUN is an upgrade to the Compass.
There are 2 versions:
Version B with regular voltage gain, similar to the Compass
Version A with current gain modules, much much better than version B

I have compared the FUN to the dac19mk3, and while the FUN is nice for the price, it is really not a match for the dac19mk3 in sound quality.

For more information and comparisons, I have already written a detailed review of the FUN with different modules here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...preamp-468522/. The thread is already 19 pages long, you will find a lot of user feedback on it.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Is that still the case between version A and version B? Looking at the website it appears that both version use ACSS.
Where did you read the difference between voltage and current gain modules?? ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back