New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #931 of 1,962
By using DAC-19 as DAC, Do we lose or how much do we lose on sound quality due to its being single ended? Assuming after the cable output of DAC-19 all other parts are balanced. I know this can only be on theory. It's not like one gear has both single ended and balanced connection so you can try both while assuming other gears can be configured accordingly. 

In my case it's DAC-19 -->RCA to HDVA 600 --> HD 800 (either stock cable to balanced cable).

p.s. I know at least our fellow member Stillhart has reviewed both DAC-19 and Schiit Gumby (balanced)and he valued DAC-19 very well.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #932 of 1,962
Before I had the DAC-19 I used NuForce HDP. In Foobar 2000 on windows 8.1, the status bar always display 44100 Hz. I had posted it in a thread that I can't find. Another member replied that it's not important at all for that display and that number can be configured to display higher number (he did not post how).

Now I am using the Amerano USB and it is shown as 32 bit 192000 Hz. I believe the sampling on the Amareno is correct. So is the number on foobar is just bum? if so why? The Foobar2000 (v1.3.8) is very good software, I believe.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #933 of 1,962
Has anyone run into problems with the Amanero Combo 384 Windows USB drivers? I just got my DAC-19 back two days ago, and it was working fine on my Windows 10 PC with the USB drivers. Today, when I got home and turned on my PC, Windows no longer recognizes the Amanero Combo 384 module, and I can no longer output digital to my DAC-19 via USB. I tried re-installing the drivers, changing USB ports on my computer, restarting, and unplugging and replugging the USB cable, but nothing works. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #934 of 1,962
stjj89, I use window 8.1. That Amareno Combo 384 uses its own power supply and we know this from the production description. I had your problem and another member here posted that powering it off and turning it on 5 seconds later would solve the issue. The USB would be recognized by windows. It's on Audio-GD website.  Most time it works.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #935 of 1,962
  stjj89, I use window 8.1. That Amareno Combo 384 uses its own power supply and we know this from the production description. I had your problem and another member here posted that powering it off and turning it on 5 seconds later would solve the issue. The USB would be recognized by windows. It's on Audio-GD website.  Most time it works.

I just tried powering it off and turning it on again, and the result is the same as if I unplug the USB cable and plug it in again. It is recognized in the Device Manager as "Combo384 Amanero", but it says that the drivers for this device are not installed. This is weird, because I have definitely installed the drivers from the Audio-gd website, and they were working before.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #936 of 1,962

I just tried powering it off and turning it on again, and the result is the same as if I unplug the USB cable and plug it in again. It is recognized in the Device Manager as "Combo384 Amanero", but it says that the drivers for this device are not installed. This is weird, because I have definitely installed the drivers from the Audio-gd website, and they were working before.

Weird. I went to Windows Device Manager, right clicked on the unrecognized USB interface, uninstalled it, turned off my DAC 19, installed the USB driver again, then turned it on, and it is now recognized. I could have sworn that I tried this before, but hey, it's working now. I'll report back again if this flakes once again.

*EDIT*: I spoke too soon. Upon restarting my PC, the USB interface is no longer recognized again.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #937 of 1,962
stjj89: From your description I would assume it is problem of windows 10. Generaly it is not stable and not good system for hifi purpose YET. Did you try other OSes (W7, Ubuntu etc.)?
I run Amanero/DAC19 on W7 64bit without any issues at all.
BTW. I did Ubuntu partition on same disc next to windows instalation. It is for purpose of testing and it is very good experince. In case of any problem I simple boot Ubuntu, test and am able to recognize the source of the issue - vice versa between OSes.. But be aware Ubuntu/W10 is not good combo yet. W10 was sometimes unable to start from hibernation (as the files get currupted somehow). It is known problem. This combo I dont reccomend. (Sorry for possible OT..)

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #938 of 1,962
Weird. I went to Windows Device Manager, right clicked on the unrecognized USB interface, uninstalled it, turned off my DAC 19, installed the USB driver again, then turned it on, and it is now recognized. I could have sworn that I tried this before, but hey, it's working now. I'll report back again if this flakes once again.

*EDIT*: I spoke too soon. Upon restarting my PC, the USB interface is no longer recognized again.

I had a similar problem with 2 of my audio-gd devices. One turned out faulty and the other, which I am still trying to fix, will probably too :frowning2:
It was also always just the USB input (in my case the VIA USB32) and all other inputs (coax, toslink) worked fine...
I was hoping it was just the VIA module but this gives me worries...
I am using a Win8.1 as well with an MSI mobo
Can you tell me your pc specs?
Maybe there is a relation :)
I hope this is just bad luck on our part...

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #939 of 1,962
My DAC-19 with VIA USB32 module has no connection issues with my Surface Pro 3 Win10, ASUS and DELL laptops Win8.1 upgraded to Win10. Perhaps I am very lucky.

PS - no problem with my NFB-1DAC also.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #941 of 1,962
  I use Windows 8.1 and have zero problems with the DAC 19. 

Does it reconnect to the DAC-19 if your Windows 8.1 is rebooted? Mine does not and I have to go through the turning off and turning on process waisting 5-15 seconds.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #943 of 1,962

It does. All I have to do it turn on the DAC 19 and everything works. 

How about you leave the DAC-19 turned on and reboot windows 8.1? I assume you already turned off the DAC-19 before the windows was up.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #945 of 1,962
I had a similar problem with 2 of my audio-gd devices. One turned out faulty and the other, which I am still trying to fix, will probably too :frowning2:
It was also always just the USB input (in my case the VIA USB32) and all other inputs (coax, toslink) worked fine...
I was hoping it was just the VIA module but this gives me worries...
I am using a Win8.1 as well with an MSI mobo
Can you tell me your pc specs?
Maybe there is a relation :)
I hope this is just bad luck on our part...

I am using a AMD FX6300 on a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P mobo. I have an Asus Xonar soundcard that I use for optical outout, but this should be irrelevant to the USB problem. I am running Windows 10.

Before I left for work today, I briefly plugged my DAC19 into my work Macbook Pro to see if it would work. The USB module gets recognized as an audio output device, but when I select it and play music through it, I hear no output. When I switch back to my onboard speakers, I get sound again.

I am going to investigate further tonight with my Macbook Pro, Chrome OS laptops, and my roommate's Linux machine. Perhaps this is a USB module problem?

How did you end up resolving this problem, by the way? Kingwa pretty much washed his hands clean of this and told me it's an issue with Windows and that I have to debug it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back