New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
May 15, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #187 of 1,962
  What's the best way to contact Audio-gd? I tried 126.com and vip.163.com and got 2 auto replies and that was it. I would like to buy one but am about ready to give up at this point.

Not sure where you're located, but they're in China and they only reply during business hours according to their time zone. 

May 15, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #189 of 1,962
  I sent a pm to Kingwa a little while ago and got a reply right away. Sent another email to audio-gd and received an invoice and sent them the payment. Very good service. Thanks to everybody for the help and advice.

Assuming you ordered a DAC-19? If so, congrats! I'm still getting accustomed to mine and doing a lot of burn-in, but am enjoying it immensely thus far.

May 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #190 of 1,962
One of the biggest differences that I've noticed between the DAC-19 versus delta-sigma DACs that I've owned is that the attack is much less "sharp." Notes from drums and guitars don't have that immediate splash and crash that my last Sabre-based DAC had, and the decay is also longer. It has taken some getting used to as on first impression I thought it made music slower and more lazy sounding (which I don't mind), but I'm coming around to realizing it's just much more natural in delivery and presentation and not digital in feel. As a result you don't get the sorts of microdetail or treble air that you get with the Sabres, but I can just a melt into a song and enjoy the music. It's delightful.

May 16, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #191 of 1,962
May I know what amp and HP are you pairing it with?

May 16, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #192 of 1,962
  One of the biggest differences that I've noticed between the DAC-19 versus delta-sigma DACs that I've owned is that the attack is much less "sharp." Notes from drums and guitars don't have that immediate splash and crash that my last Sabre-based DAC had, and the decay is also longer. It has taken some getting used to as on first impression I thought it made music slower and more lazy sounding (which I don't mind), but I'm coming around to realizing it's just much more natural in delivery and presentation and not digital in feel. As a result you don't get the sorts of microdetail or treble air that you get with the Sabres, but I can just a melt into a song and enjoy the music. It's delightful.

People has described this as being:

"rounder", "analog", "vinyl", "softer", "timbre", "texture"

R2R makes live concert music sound more real, especially if you notice the hand claps by the audience sound more real, with more skin texture and chamber like echo/decay. Strikes on the Pianos have more weight and heft. Shaker sounds more like beads shaking about rather than just a sandy grind.

If one never own or hear R2R before, they would have thought the Sabre sounded fine and never noticed the digital glare or the sigma delta harsh/sharpness.

The next logical upgrade for your dac-19 is usb to spdif/I2s converter. Do consider it. The VIA usb is the weakest link in the audio-gd system.

May 16, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #193 of 1,962

That is where D-S tricks people into believing what they are hearing is real detail. At the most extended high frequencies I could see a D-S DAC being more detailed, but macrodetail or the big picture of what you are hearing is going to be more convincing and analog on a quality R2R

May 16, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #195 of 1,962
  People has described this as being:

"rounder", "analog", "vinyl", "softer", "timbre", "texture"

R2R makes live concert music sound more real, especially if you notice the hand claps by the audience sound more real, with more skin texture and chamber like echo/decay. Strikes on the Pianos have more weight and heft. Shaker sounds more like beads shaking about rather than just a sandy grind.

If one never own or hear R2R before, they would have thought the Sabre sounded fine and never noticed the digital glare or the sigma delta harsh/sharpness.

The next logical upgrade for your dac-19 is usb to spdif/I2s converter. Do consider it. The VIA usb is the weakest link in the audio-gd system.

I might have to try that. Any recommended transports? I've heard good things about Audiphilleo products.

100% agree. I listened to Band of Horses' "Acoustic at the Ryman" earlier tonight and was quite impressed. What you said about hand claps is so interesting as I was noticing when there were a few scattered claps I could actually hear how cupped their hands were. "Texture" might be the best way to describe it. I didn't realize how used to the DAC-19 I had already gotten until I was listening to music in my car while stuck in traffic. I have a decent custom car audio setup (Audison front stage, Hertz rear stage, Pioneer deck, JL subwoofer) but I was a bit startled how flat the guitars on several songs were. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back