New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Dec 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,112 of 1,962
  Been thinking about it... Actually, how would the Amanero compare to say, a coaxial connection via a Gustard U12?

U12 uses an XMOS interface, which is offered as an option now.  I believe Amanero is supposed to be better?  

IMO using a U12 to attempt to improve on your existing USB interface is missing the point.  It should be used for things like vintage DAC's that don't have USB.  Or it should be used as essentially a splitter so you can have multiple DAC's plugged into one USB interface (makes A/B'ing DAC's so much easier!).

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,113 of 1,962

U12 uses an XMOS interface, which is offered as an option now.  I believe Amanero is supposed to be better?  

IMO using a U12 to attempt to improve on your existing USB interface is missing the point.  It should be used for things like vintage DAC's that don't have USB.  Or it should be used as essentially a splitter so you can have multiple DAC's plugged into one USB interface (makes A/B'ing DAC's so much easier!).

My DAC19 is with the VIA USB (Amanero wasn't available yet). I got the U12 (XMOS) and the HDMI I2S module subsequently, with the intention of trying out I2S. However I need to improvise/modify the DAC19's USB port hole + modify the U12 pin-out, which I find myself getting too lazy to do it haha... so all along the U12 has been running to DAC19 via coaxial.

I could hear distinct difference between U12/coaxial and VIA USB. The U12/coaxial is a clear step up. Cleaner, more transparent and better layering and separation. Direct USB sounded muddy in comparison. I did same-session A-B several times and the difference wasn't that significant. But once I settled with the U12, played it for months.... then one night decided to just plug back to VIA USB... and what the.... 
beyersmile.png

Have always been curious about the Amanero, but if I didn't remember wrongly, buying it standalone would cost around 70+USD excluding shipping. I wouldn't mind reducing some clutter (do away with U12, less one power cord and coaxial cable, save a power socket) if the Amanero turns out to be just as good, but that is some money to gamble with. Hmm...

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #1,114 of 1,962
The Amanero is definitely way better than the coaxial in my experience, especially if you tweak out your computer for audio. (However, I still haven't tried it with a really high end transport using a BNT cable). The coaxial has some advantages, but I think the USB has more potential, especially for the money. 

Just read a great review of one of the key software upgrades that has worked well for me with the Dac-19 (Amanero), Fidelizer Pro. Read carefully though, because there are clear drawbacks to turning your computer into a serious audio source--namely, it becomes less useful as a computer. 

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-pro-6-12/

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,115 of 1,962
Best setup for me so far, (after 3 months of testing).
Ubuntu, HQ Player (much better than F2000), Amanero, DAC 19, Precision 2, HD800 (unbalanced).

I have HD800 like week and it revealed another weakness of chain - SW player/OS.
Definitely better sound with Ubuntu. I recommend give it a try. 

Also bottleneck in chain was USB32 imo. After switching to Amanero (I did it DIY) it is solved. Soundstage is better, also tonality.

Give your DAC 19 Amanero!!

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,116 of 1,962
  Best setup for me so far, (after 3 months of testing).
Ubuntu, HQ Player (much better than F2000), Amanero, DAC 19, Precision 2, HD800 (unbalanced).

I have HD800 like week and it revealed another weakness of chain - SW player/OS.
Definitely better sound with Ubuntu. I recommend give it a try. 

Also bottleneck in chain was USB32 imo. After switching to Amanero (I did it DIY) it is solved. Soundstage is better, also tonality.

Give your DAC 19 Amanero!!

What is ubunto?

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,118 of 1,962
The Amanero is definitely way better than the coaxial in my experience, especially if you tweak out your computer for audio. (However, I still haven't tried it with a really high end transport using a BNT cable). The coaxial has some advantages, but I think the USB has more potential, especially for the money.

Just read a great review of one of the key software upgrades that has worked well for me with the Dac-19 (Amanero), Fidelizer Pro. Read carefully though, because there are clear drawbacks to turning your computer into a serious audio source--namely, it becomes less useful as a computer.

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fidelizer-pro-6-12/

i bookmarked this to read later when im more sober. but sounds pretty rediculous to me. this program disables stuff like network connectivity, windows updates, and antivirus to improve audio quality for external dacs. Sounds like exploitation of the hopefull to me

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,119 of 1,962
@MadSounds
Which program are you talking about?

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,120 of 1,962
It's called Fidelizer Pro. Probably best not to get too sidetracked here, as there's a thread on it already. I think someone with a reasonable amount of technical know-how could either 1) do what Bombik did, or 2) follow any number of procedures for tweaking out your computer for audio available online in freely available guides. However, this program simply does all these tweaks and more without you having to think... as long as you pay. It's kind of ridiculous in some ways, but it does work in much the same way as the free tweaks work. 

It's like the discussion about power conditioners, shielding, fancy cables, etc. The cumulative effect usually audible to most people in most systems, but each single step may or may not be easily detectable. Fidelizer Pro does a bunch of things, and I think it is audible, but as the review states "your mileage may vary" depending on a bunch of factors. 

The funny thing is that computer engineers usually don't want to admit that their beloved machines are really not that good as dedicated audio sources without serious tweaking. However, the same engineer would have no problem understanding the basics of turntable physics and would easily understand that needles, vibrations, and other factors affect overall sound quality. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,121 of 1,962
Did some comparisons, Audio Gd Dac 19 with Mojo out of LC and HD800.
The Audio Gd Dac 19 has slightly more body and weight. But the biggest difference is that the Dac 19 is warmer than the Mojo. The Mojo treble is definitely brighter. On some tracks with treble energy, the Mojo makes me cringe. But with the Dac 19, it's there, but it does not make me cringe. The Mojo is supposed to be warmer than the Hugo, hate to imagine how the Hugo is being more leaner and brighter than the Mojo. To me, the Mojo is still on the bright and cold side, at least with the HD800/LC. 

The Audio Gd Dac 19 is much better pairing with LC for the HD800. If I had warmer headphones, I would go with the Mojo. The Mojo sounds clearer and more forward in it's presentation and detail. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,122 of 1,962
Did some comparisons, Audio Gd Dac 19 with Mojo out of LC and HD800.
The Audio Gd Dac 19 has slightly more body and weight. But the biggest difference is that the Dac 19 is warmer than the Mojo. The Mojo treble is definitely brighter. On some tracks with treble energy, the Mojo makes me cringe. But with the Dac 19, it's there, but it does not make me cringe. The Mojo is supposed to be warmer than the Hugo, hate to imagine how the Hugo is being more leaner and brighter than the Mojo. To me, the Mojo is still on the bright and cold side, at least with the HD800/LC. 

The Audio Gd Dac 19 is much better pairing with LC for the HD800. If I had warmer headphones, I would go with the Mojo. The Mojo sounds clearer and more forward in it's presentation and detail. 

That's interesting. I have a Mojo, LC and a DAC 19 on the way. It will be fun seeing which synergy works well for various headphones. I don't have an HD800 but do have a T1. I actually like the T1 straight out of the Mojo, which surprised me a bit. Looking forward to trying it with the DAC 19.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,123 of 1,962
  The Audio Gd Dac 19 has slightly more body and weight. 

This is similar to my experience not only with DAC-19 but also with my Theorem 720. The notes on the Mojo, to me, are fat but light. Don't know how to explain it better. DAC-19 is still my main DAC feeding my Ragnarok and PIBE or Lyr 2. Mojo Jojo is not a worthy substitute IMO.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,124 of 1,962
With great regret, selling my brand new Dac 19.  I purchased Dac 19 to compare with Mojo.  Prefer Dac 19 but Mojo seems more flexible (portable) for my transportable Liquid Carbon.
Selling for $699. Please PM or check out my sale forum. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,125 of 1,962
  With great regret, selling my brand new Dac 19.  I purchased Dac 19 to compare with Mojo.  Prefer Dac 19 but Mojo seems more flexible (portable) for my transportable Liquid Carbon.
Selling for $699. Please PM or check out my sale forum. 

Great price!

Anybody sitting on the fence should take the opportunity to grab this. I had both the Mojo and the DAC19 and I prefer the DAC19 by a vast margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back