New Audeze LCD3
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #8,071 of 11,521
i was thinking of getting a rega dac myself before i settled on the mytek 192. if you have a USB/SPDIF converter for it or using coax/optical, i think you'll be fine.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #8,072 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:

I just received my LCD-3's and only listening now for about an hour BUT my first impressions are they sound remarkably similar to my Senn 650's.  Sure, more extended BUT not much.  The "Sparkle" that I find with my HiFiman HE-500 is missing.  Is this the "house sound" of Audeze or what?

Out of curiosity, how much time did you have to wait, from the moment of purchasing it till the moment they shipped it to you? =o

Interesting question...I had a lengthy discussion about this very issue with Audeze.  I asked if they charged the credit card at the time of shipment or immediately, immediate was the answer.  Seems they could not provide a delivery date and their website seemed to indicate it could be several months.  I was opposed to having my card charged immediately and stated that this was a poor business practice given the unknown delivery date and the large amount.  We went back and forth via email and they then stated if I ordered immediately they would ship within two days.  That sealed the deal and, in fact, I did receive the phones within several days. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #8,073 of 11,521
Finally decided to bend the headband. Got more comfort and soundstage now.

Before I was nearly maxed out with the rod settings. It was comfortable but it was a bit loose when I tilted my head down. Also, the vacuum effect only happened when it wasn't tight enough. So I moved it one down. It wasn't loose, but clamping force was a bit annoying. Got used to it for 2 weeks and a bit more thump but it was closed sounding. So bent it and kept it at the same setting. Bass punch went a bit down, but the comfort overall increased. Might try it some more. Although the bass presentation became clearer and more open.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8,074 of 11,521
Just modded it some more. I pulled it apart more evenly across the whole headband. No weird clamping force, yet strong enough so that it doesn't slip. Even more open sounding. Got more width and finally some airiness that makes sense. At first, in comparison to LCD-2, it was more airy but in a closed soundstage which depending on the recording sounded weird. The added width and bass presentation that exceeds your head, kind of like Denon AH-D2000 and HE-500. More livelier for sure. The little sacrifice in the bass slam is totally worth it overall. Still need to check it out with vocals and if they got some air around them.

I'm officially changing the name of my pair from LCD-3 to LSD-3 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Better imaging at the sides. Very similar to HE-500 now as I found HE-500's imaging at sides excellent and that's why it was my top choice for DNB where a lot of stuff is panned to the sides. Also more depth. The treble got cleaner and more engaging top to bottom. Definitely more width, although I think I'm getting more depth as well. Only have been used this for a few hours so far.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #8,077 of 11,521
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #8,078 of 11,521
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #8,079 of 11,521
Quote:
i was thinking of getting a rega dac myself before i settled on the mytek 192. if you have a USB/SPDIF converter for it or using coax/optical, i think you'll be fine.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind if the LCD-2s lose their excitement for me.
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #8,081 of 11,521
To rgs9200m:

Nice curves you've got there !

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #8,082 of 11,521
So do I, I was quite excited when I received them and I have to say that they sounded great when I first listened to them but then I wanted them to. It was only after the initial listen that the disappointment grew I started to notice the lack of clarity or sparkle at the top and going back to my GS1000's or T1's really highlighted the issue. I'm pretty sure the detail is there but it's right in the distance. I really hope Audeze can resolve the problem and return a pair of phones that sparkle otherwise I'll be moving them on again and that will be the end of my Audeze experience.

Just to bring you up to date with my RMA, fantastic turnaround by Audeze, 24hrs plus the time to and from the UK, around 1 week in total and great communication. And what an improvement, I now have clarity and detail that I can hear at the top end and phones I can enjoy listening to. Still lack a bit of sparkle for my tastes but that could be down to my amp and cables, Fosgate Signature using various NOS tubes and Chord Indigo fed by a Bel Canto Dac, I put quite a lot of effort into sorting this rig to suite my GS1000's which were a bit bright so I need to play a little to find the best combination for the LCD's. Of cause it could just be my ears. My new frequency curve is very similar to that posted by rgs9200m except that it doesn't dip at 20k and rises higher at 5k. Overall I'm very pleased and will be keeping them. I did find that I got a cleaner sound, by that I mean greater clarity, by using the stock cable as opposed to the upgrade Qaudio cable that came with these phones which smoothes the sound when compared, possibly only the case with my rig, has anyone used an aftermarket cable that adds sparkle to the highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back