New Audeze LCD3
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #7,891 of 11,521
Quote:
This is just me - but I would rule the Conductor out as well.  Those all in ones get out dated pretty fast - can't match DACs or roll DACs to fit your headphones.  

As long as Burson keeps their form factors you can roll their DACs if nothing else into the Conductor.  Headfonia just finished doing a ESS v BB comparison using the Conductor.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #7,893 of 11,521
Quote:
This is just me - but I would rule the Conductor out as well.  Those all in ones get out dated pretty fast - can't match DACs or roll DACs to fit your headphones.  

I still have not heard the Soloist and not really interested so can't comment on that.

Didn't really like the Mojo with the HE-6 - it got pretty loud yes, but the bass was lacking and the highs were a bit harsh IMO.  The HE-500s sound OK on it.  IMO.

Like the a-100 the Mojo is not a good match for most headphones.  Again IMO. 

The only shortcomings is going to be - how do you like your LCDs served up to you?  It may be a bit to aggressive or it may be just what the doctor ordered.  For me it was just what the doctor ordered.  That's why I'm kinda looking forward to the new Schiit amp (Rag).  The Rag vs. the D hi (Dynahi) is going to be very interesting.  

IMO the LCDs need a kick in the ass as far as the treble goes.  The Mojo does that and does it good - to my ears.  Others like a more laid back sound.  I like energy in my treble.  The a-100 is not as refined as the Mojo, it can be a tad bit blurry compared to Mojo.  The a-100 to me is a transparent amp.  But when you compare it to the Mojo and I guess the 02 it's not so much.

Thanks for the suggestion. So the Mjolnir is a bit on the aggressive on the side. I think I'll like that with the LCD-3. BTW do you find the Mjolnir to be on the warm side or neutral. I find the LCD-3 a bit on the warm side, although with a bad amp, the mids get thin and boring, like the O2. So is Mjolnir around neutral or on the warm side. I personally like the LCD-3's a tiny bit on the warm side, not a lot though. Also how's the bass extension, control and impact on it?

I think I might end up picking up the Mjolnir sometime soon and waiting it out between the new Schiit statement amps, GS-X mkII and possibly some other stuff coming around.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #7,894 of 11,521
Always curious how we hear things.

I think the Taboo III is a good tube amp (like WA22 good), but it's not even close
to EC Super 7 good yet alone, ZD, 2A3 or BA good. And I would definitely put GS-X up there
in that mix as 'the top tier', although I haven't heard MKII I only expect Justin stepped it up.

So zdse can drive lcd3 too? In what areas does zdse drive better than taboo? I read the specs its power is lower than taboo. I know power isnt everything, just curious.

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #7,896 of 11,521
Quote:
So zdse can drive lcd3 too? In what areas does zdse drive better than taboo? I read the specs its power is lower than taboo. I know power isnt everything, just curious.

Overall I liked the ZDSE more than the Taboo (but this is taking into account more than just ortho's.)
Taboo for me is too tubey like the WA22. It's just a preference of liking a 'SS like tube amp' (shut-up prep) :)

Generally I agree more power = better with orthos in mind. However some tube amps
have excellent synergy with either LCD-2 or LCD-3 even if they don't appear to be ideal pairings.

If you find SS generally too 'cold' then you'd naturally love the Taboo's and Woo's. They're all great amps, 
I just wouldn't rank Decware in the same class as EC.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7,897 of 11,521
Thanks for the comparison.

Have you heard Leben (vs ZDSE), Paradox?  If you have short comparison with Leben, that will even be better cos I can relate with mine.  I heard ZDSE bass is not as articulate, what do you think?

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #7,898 of 11,521
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison.

Have you heard Leben (vs ZDSE), Paradox?  If you have short comparison with Leben, that will even be better cos I can relate with mine.  I heard ZDSE bass is not as articulate, what do you think?

I haven't heard the Leben. But that has its own very strong following.

I will say the bass can get boomy with the LCD-3, but that's all comparative. The ZDSE I thought shined with HD800 and the Mad Dog. It's a seriously enveloping listen.

But EC amps are god awfully ugly. IMO. Only knock for me. Haha.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #7,899 of 11,521
Would really like to see comparison reviews between Rag and GS-X MkII. Thinking about getting a GS-X MkII but waiting to see... I would mostly like to audition the HeadAmp with LCD3 probably to the detriment of my wallet I am sure.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #7,900 of 11,521
Quote:
Would really like to see comparison reviews between Rag and GS-X MkII. Thinking about getting a GS-X MkII but waiting to see... I would mostly like to audition the HeadAmp with LCD3 probably to the detriment of my wallet I am sure.

Get the GS-X first. While you can stand the wait. I'm also extremely interested in this comparison. As are many, I'm sure.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7,901 of 11,521
The Taboo (mk II in my case) can be tuned SS-like or very tubey with just a change of driver or driver/rectifier. The Decwares are very tuneable. That said, I'm curious to hear the EC amps - a logical next step from Decware.

I'm like Prep - I like my tube amps 'neutral sounding'.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #7,902 of 11,521
Quote:
Question for Soloist owner. Dont you hear a faint 'click' noise when you move the volume level? I heard this 'click' is getting louder over time?

Yes sometimes I notice a click, especially when going to a lower volume setting.  I haven't noticed it getting louder over time yet, but only owned my rig about a month so I'll keep you updated.

Some other threads here mention the clicking, but most seem to think its normal for a stepped attenuator to click a little.  Email the Burson guys...they should respond pretty quickly.  Side note: their email server was down last week so they had some problems responding to emails during that time.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #7,903 of 11,521
Stepped making mechanical clicking sound while rotating is completely normal.  Some are quieter than others, DACT being fairly quiet, others are more 'rugged' and click more loudly when moving from one pad to another.  Don't worry about it too much.  The Burson is sealed so debris or dust collection in the contacts isn't likely to ever stop a step from working.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #7,904 of 11,521
Yes sometimes I notice a click, especially when going to a lower volume setting.  I haven't noticed it getting louder over time yet, but only owned my rig about a month so I'll keep you updated.

Some other threads here mention the clicking, but most seem to think its normal for a stepped attenuator to click a little.  Email the Burson guys...they should respond pretty quickly.  Side note: their email server was down last week so they had some problems responding to emails during that time.

Thanks for checking.

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #7,905 of 11,521
Quote:
The Taboo (mk II in my case) can be tuned SS-like or very tubey with just a change of driver or driver/rectifier. The Decwares are very tuneable. That said, I'm curious to hear the EC amps - a logical next step from Decware.

I'm like Prep - I like my tube amps 'neutral sounding'.

Agreed. I was just thinking of the same and would obviously love to hear the ECs. That said the Taboo is very transparent and I can easily have the Taboo sound SS-like or tubey. The fine tuning posibilities are only limited by one's tube selection. The driver tube being 6DJ8/6922 that alone offers an world of posibilities.  So when you hear one, it may simply be someone else's preference and choice. The stock selection of tubes is fine middle ground and it's clear that Steve (Decware) has put thought into it. While they are very decent and I could be very happy with them, that's not what I am using for the LCD-3s, just because there's good and there's better. 

The LCD-3s and HD800s for example sound so different from each other you basically have two choices:
- find middle ground and sit pretty
- use tubes aimed towards improved synergy with either of the headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back