New Audeze LCD3
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #7,786 of 11,521

Quote:
Could have sworn this was an LCD-3 thread :p

The only area the HD800 bests the LCD-3 is soundstage size and its out of the head magic. Truth is the same rig that made the HD800 a liveable option also elevated the LCD-3. In my rig the LCD-3/B22 combo is on par with the HD800/GS-X mk2 but when the LCD-3 also enjoys the HeadAmp it just walks all over the HD800.

Thank you.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #7,787 of 11,521
Quote:

The only area the HD800 bests the LCD-3 is soundstage size and its out of the head magic. Truth is the same rig that made the HD800 a liveable option also elevated the LCD-3. In my rig the LCD-3/B22 combo is on par with the HD800/GS-X mk2 but when the LCD-3 also enjoys the HeadAmp it just walks all over the HD800.

I wouldn't say walk all over them. But I do certainly prefer the LCD-3s over the HD800s for most of my music (rock, metal, punk, jazz). For classical and acoustic I still reach for the HD800s more often. The GS-X MKII is a KILLER amp for both though!

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #7,788 of 11,521
I would SO like to listen to my LCD3 on a GS-X MkII amp. Wondering how the new Rag amp from Schiit will measure up to the HeadAmp. So many just really express positive feedback on that amp...

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #7,789 of 11,521
Quote:
Exactly, and agreed; (real) piano - the only instrument I play - has been my reference too. It's the timbre I find accurate (not to mention those 'thuds' and other sounds from the mechanical action of pedal and dampers) with the LCD.

OTOH, I have no argument with what others hear and prefer.

One catch with my piano-based observations is that my audio-memory is mostly built from playing at the piano, not hearing it out in a room or auditorium. No doubt this makes a difference.

You make a very good point about listening to a piano from the piano seat perspective or from an auditorium position. However, the effect of an auditorium is to make the sound more diffuse and reverberant rather than thinner/sharper which is my personal viewpoint of the HD800 and very much so with the PS1000. I mean, as pianists we are listening to a real piano, putting the headphones on and trying to get the same sound. I don't think one could get closer to the "truth" than doing that.

I also believe you shouldn't cancel out the tonality of a headphone with an amplifier. They should compliment each other sure. But if the headphone trait is pushed treble, then I am not sure what the point is if buying an amplifier with recessed treble to compensate. In my personal viewpoint the amplifier should be the one thing that aims for flat, uncoloured sound across the spectrum while maintaining all the important amplifier traits of dynamics, fast transient response, low distortion, low noise and the myriad of other things.

The LCD 3 seems to capture the timbre beautifully, and you and I are not the only pianists to have said so. Yamaha pianos tend to have a more clinical uncoloured sound but they never sound thin. I am using the Soloist which I know others are doing too. While there is subjective taste etc, I suspect some are listening to the piano sound through those headphones and hearing more apparent detail and sharpness and clarity, not realizing the piano would not actually sound like that in real life. That being said, I have nothing against personal taste. Just that my mission was to find headphones that captured the essence of the piano and I find myself "lost" in the music with the LCD-3s whereas I find myself being analytical and more tensed up with the HD800s. This is with the Soloist, and also with the built-in headphone amplifier on the Yamaha high-end Clavinova. What truly surprised me is how powerful and good the headphone amplifier is on the Yamaha. I can't get past 2 o'clock on the Yamaha without it being too loud so they put a meaty headphone amplifier in there.

Also to say I never buy into brand loyalty. If someone comes up with a better product, I'm outta here! And I hope there are other headphones that come along that challenge my evaluation and give me something new and exciting and better to bite into.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #7,791 of 11,521
In linear term, can you guys rate the bass quality of LCD3 and LCD2? And how is it compared to HE500?

I have HE500 and will upgrade soon. Im torn between this, 800 and HE6.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #7,792 of 11,521
Quote:
In linear term, can you guys rate the bass quality of LCD3 and LCD2? And how is it compared to HE500?

LCD 3 is the king of bass
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #7,793 of 11,521
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #7,794 of 11,521
Quote:

To give you a reference, here's what I think about all three

HE-500 - Quite musical and deep. Extension is not a problem at all. A bit loose compared to LCD-2 and 3, but very enjoyable

LCD-2 - hits harder than anything out there. Midbass is a beast. Absolutely love it. Great control. Not tight like LCD-3, but very close while beating the LCD-3 in midbass punch, which is quite important for certain genres.   

LCD-3 - more sub bass than any of them. Almost borderline crazy like a Denon. Less midbass than LCD-2, more enjoyable for most genres. Although at times I do crave the LCD-2's slam for electronic music. LCD-3 is more faster, layered and controlled.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #7,795 of 11,521
Quote:

To give you a reference, here's what I think about all three

HE-500 - Quite musical and deep. Extension is not a problem at all. A bit loose compared to LCD-2 and 3, but very enjoyable

LCD-2 - hits harder than anything out there. Midbass is a beast. Absolutely love it. Great control. Not tight like LCD-3, but very close while beating the LCD-3 in midbass punch, which is quite important for certain genres.   

LCD-3 - more sub bass than any of them. Almost borderline crazy like a Denon. Less midbass than LCD-2, more enjoyable for most genres. Although at times I do crave the LCD-2's slam for electronic music. LCD-3 is more faster, layered and controlled.

I have a Denon D7000. The sub-bass and strength of the bass is considerably stronger than the LCD-3. Of course its overblown and its strong enough to make me feel a vacuum in my ears with some music which can be somewhat uncomfortable (this is with the Soloist)

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7,796 of 11,521
Quote:
I suppose piano is debatable since its tone quite soft and does not highlight the LCD3's shortcomings. I used to play in a band and the feel of live drums and guitars is just much better captured on the ps1000

OMGoodness! No way I would put the PS1000 in the same league as the PS500, let alone something as technically adept as the LCD-3!

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7,797 of 11,521
Quote:

Hey Solude, do you have any free time in August to drive up to Montreal for a big meet? I'd like to hear the LCD-3 again on my Mc225 (and would like you to hear it as well). I also would love to try out the GS-X MKII as that's a future consideration of mine.

Maybe this would convince me to change my HE6 back for an LCD3... for the third time
evil_smiley.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #7,798 of 11,521
Quote:

Sorry if I'm vague, but I'm feeling lazy. It would probably be of no help to you.
Luckily I've owned all headphones mentioned.

LCD3: 10/10 (best bass I've heard)   HE6: 9.8/10   LCD2: 9.4/10   HE500: 9.2/10

The LCD3 has the most natural bass I've heard, it's impactful but not too much, while also being smooth (but again, not too much). The HE6 has more PRAT and slam than the LCD3 (when both driven on my amp), but the bass decay feels a bit too quick sometimes. I think it only surpasses the LCD3 in very fast paced rock but nothing else. The LCD2 has tight impactful sub-bass but the decay speed is not in the same tier as the two other flagship products. Personally, I find it a bit overwhelming. The HE500 is bloomier and more mid-bassy I'd say. It's not as tight as the three other phones, but its very rich and enveloping; it's great for deep vocals and jazz, etc.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back