New Audeze LCD3
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7,591 of 11,521
Yeap, I can hear my heartbeat too with the LCD-3's. I thought it was me since I have heart problems :)
Also, there's a strange feelring when talking with them on, a feeling that wasn't there with the LCD-2 :)

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7,593 of 11,521
Quote:
Not just you.  I hope this doesn't mean LCD-3's causes cardiac issues!

Well, maybe, because of adrenaline rushes ...

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #7,594 of 11,521
I love the comfort of the LCD-3 ear pads over the LCD-2, but the suction in LCD-3 is quite annoying at times. I am getting better with it every day, but still once in a while it creates this vacuum - and it can be painful too. I've been experimenting with a few techniques to get around this suction as much as possible.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #7,595 of 11,521
Quote:
I love the comfort of the LCD-3 ear pads over the LCD-2, but the suction in LCD-3 is quite annoying at times. I am getting better with it every day, but still once in a while it creates this vacuum - and it can be painful too. I've been experimenting with a few techniques to get around this suction as much as possible.

The first two or three days I also felt the suction a bit uncomfortable.  I remember the first time: I was really disturbed by this effect, and I felt it more in my right ear than in my left ear.

Then, I don't even feel it now.  It's as if it wasn't there anymore.  I don't know why, and I've already wondered before your message how it was possible that I didn't feel at all what I found uncomfortable at first ?!  That's really strange because usually, when something annoys me at the beginning, I am becoming more and more obsessed with it up to the point I can't stand it anymore.  And here, it's quite the opposite ...

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #7,596 of 11,521
They did a great job on these earpads.  Are there other headphones that have earpads like this?  I mean besides achieving a tight seal, they are amazingly soft, and lush.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #7,597 of 11,521
Quote:
They did a great job on these earpads.  Are there other headphones that have earpads like this?  I mean besides achieving a tight seal, they are amazingly soft, and lush.

Denon AH-D2/5/7000 models use the angled pads although more like the LCD-2. They aren't all squishy like the 3s.

My KRK KNS 8400 are also comfy with memory foam, not as thick as LCD-3s though. Also not angled.

A few of the Bose products also has the squishy like feeling of the LCD-3, again not angled or as thick.

So far only the LCD-3 pads have made a vacuum.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #7,598 of 11,521
These phones are finely tuned instruments. The more I listen to them the more I am amazed. I can't begin to tell how many nights I have been listening and ended up going to bed at 0100 or 0200 and then just being blown out totally the next day due to lack of sleep. Just crazy... So no sympathy for "earpad suction".  How about "sleep deprivation"?   ;0)

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #7,599 of 11,521
Quote:

The first two or three days I also felt the suction a bit uncomfortable.  I remember the first time: I was really disturbed by this effect, and I felt it more in my right ear than in my left ear.

Then, I don't even feel it now.  It's as if it wasn't there anymore.  I don't know why, and I've already wondered before your message how it was possible that I didn't feel at all what I found uncomfortable at first ?!  That's really strange because usually, when something annoys me at the beginning, I am becoming more and more obsessed with it up to the point I can't stand it anymore.  And here, it's quite the opposite ...

Ya I think it's just your body getting used to it over time. I had to go over the clamping force with LCD-2 initially, but after a week it didn't bother me. Although from time to time I would notice it. 

With the LCD-3, the first day it was left ear, the next day right, the following day after that back to right. LOL let's see what mood the earpads are in today

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #7,601 of 11,521
Word of warning, take it for what it's worth...

If you are getting a vacuum feel the clamp is overly strong and the pads are getting crushed.  If you have the beard for it, bend back the headband some to relieve the pressure and in the process extend their life.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #7,603 of 11,521
Quote:
Word of warning, take it for what it's worth...

If you are getting a vacuum feel the clamp is overly strong and the pads are getting crushed.  If you have the beard for it, bend back the headband some to relieve the pressure and in the process extend their life.

Are you suggesting the effect of the vacuum/suction effect could damage the drivers over time? I never managed to achieve that vacuum/suction effect when mine are on my head....I don't have a big head! But I did once accidentally press the cups together and had to tug quite hard to get them separated. I am just not sure how delicate these drivers are to damage from things like that.

BTW, did you say you were getting another LCD-3 pair for yourself? Have you got them yet?

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #7,604 of 11,521
Not the driver, the earpad.  For that kind of seal, it takes a lot of clamping force.  I used to bend the headband on my old pairs on the back of a chairs to relieve some pressure but in a controlled manner using the back of the chair as a mold if that makes sense.  You could free air it but the result may be less uniform.

Vegan pads are LCD-2 foam with vegan material on them.  Should seal less because of the stiffer foam.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #7,605 of 11,521

Ok quick background my lcd3 are from the original batch oct. 2011, RMAed in april of 2012 and I bought them a year ago right around this time from the f/s forum.
No problem at all for a year, until i changed my worn out leather pads with some new ones. The new pads created much more suction/pressure than the old pads and i found within a few days the right driver would intermittently cut in and out if i adjusted the hp's placement on my head. It seemed like the pressure was causing the driver to exceed its 2.5mm excursion limit, it would cut off then quickly move to normal. However every once in awhile the pads would compress and driver would cut off and stay off, untill i tapped lightly on the grill. 
So i contacted Audeze who like many have commented on here before, were on top of things. Very prompt replying back, sent them across the country and had them fixed and back in less than a week, pretty painless and its comforting to an Audeze owner to see how the well the business stands behind its product. 

Top graph is the April 2012 RMA (veil check). Bottom is the June 2013(driver fix) freq graph. Alright im driving home from the post office and am getting nervous about that dip to 8k in the new graph. Now I dont know if they changed out the drivers or fixed the current ones in there but the headphones sound nearly identical as they did before. I listened to this pair of lcd3s on almost a daily basis for a year, i feel pretty familiar with my reference tracks, that I can say that with relative certainty. Which doesnt bother me a bit they sounded phenomenal before and still do, kinda glad nothing did change. 
Also for the record im not a big believer in Audeze having a burn in period. From my experience buying a new lcd2 and the lcd3 (had est.20hrs), i cant notice any significant changes in the sound over time, they sound pretty consistent but that's imo, ymmv, blah blah. if something changes drastically in the next 150hrs i will definitely report back.

Also here are some pics of my lcd3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back