New Audeze LCD3
Mar 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #4,546 of 11,521

Quote:
I actually didn't find the Stax O2 comfortable. The cups have no way to rotate, and it didn't fit my head right. But we have all different heads..  

The cups rotate, the pads rotate, and the metal arcs can be bent, making it very difficult to not find a correct fit for any head size/shape.  You might be thinking of another headphone.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #4,547 of 11,521

Quote:
People are different, and their honest opinions are also different. Honest doesn't equal to fact...

this is so true.

honestly, the self-importance that some attach to themselves and their opinions borders on the absurd.

talk about noise and distortion.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4,548 of 11,521
Thanks for your reply Curra, I have Emotiva ERC-1 => AGD-Coax-Digital => AGD-Ref-7 => ACSS => Phoenix. Ref-7 and Phoenix using AGD power cords, do you think this setup is optimized for LCD-3? Now if I can find somebody in Minnesota with LCD-3s so I can compare them with LCD-2 r1s (Norse-8 Balanced) I have.

Regards.

Quote:
Yes. That's my primary rig. It needs a very good DAC or source to go with it though. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,549 of 11,521
Thanks Purrin for the information about the new LCD3.  Unfortunately for my wallet, that information puts me on the edge of getting the LCD3.  My last defense is my 007 MK 1 and Asr's comparison of 007 with LCD3.  It is not clear, however, whether Asr's LCD is the unveiled one or not.  

One last word about Leben from my experience, you could mess up the sound by replacing the stock tubes with some wrong combinations of highly regarded NOS tubes.  I tried RCA red command 5751/Mullard EL84, this combo gives more "density" but also a bloated base.

We all hear differently but there are some useful measurements.  One of the most insightful information on this site is Purrin's "water fall graph".  Anybody who characterizes HD650 as a "slow" headphone should check those graphs.             

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4,551 of 11,521
In the case of the LCD-3 of course, damping factor is not, well, a factor :wink:

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4,552 of 11,521
Seems like most of you guys are cool with it, but please don't take my opinions on the Leben the wrong way. While it doesn't suit my tastes (LOL, it actually hits a nerve), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to it to a few people I actually know. The reasons I even bothered: 1) I was asked directly what my opinions were about it; 2) It seemed that "in-the-field", people still really had no idea of the amp's sonic characteristics, despite its numerous accolades here on Head-Fi. Good examples of this would have been Sachu's and Anax's "flabbergasting WTH" experiences because they had based their expectations this way. I guess if we really read between the lines in that 6 Moons review, we could get an idea. But it's not my style to beat around the bush. And I've always been clear on my own preferences and sonic priorities: plankton and micro-dynamics.

It's always hard to communicate these kinds of things in written form. Those who know me personally know that I'm pretty light hearted about these things and that we give such other grief about gear and personal preferences all the time, i.e. "dood get that POS Brimar outta your BA!", "FU, that's my twlight zone toob!", "CEETEE, when are you going to un-Grado yourself?", "so, umm, when are you going to get rid of that Benchmark?", etc.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4,553 of 11,521
I for one think the more opinions there are on ANYTHING, the better. I don't agree with your opinion, but it's good that you put it out there. The more the merrier.

Just for balancing it, though, I don't find the Leben to be a "tubey" sounding tube amp. I find it just slightly lush, but it is not nearly as tubey as something like the Woo WA2 or 22, for example. This can of course be influenced somewhat by tube choice.

Anyway, JMO, I'm now exiting this discussion again and I apologize for getting off topic.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #4,554 of 11,521
I actually didn't find the Stax O2 comfortable. The cups have no way to rotate, and it didn't fit my head right. But we have all different heads..  

Huh?

They rotate a bit too much for my preference. I have to re-orient them every time I put them on...

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #4,555 of 11,521
I am certainly not confusing headphones. I might have expressed myself unclear. The cups do NOT swivel, but can be "bent" into position. Most people seems to have heads that fit nicely, so I guess I'm a minority. I've spent 10-15 hours with the Stax 007 and I find both the LCD-2 and HE-500 more comfortable. The pads, however, do indeed rotate, and it makes made me partly insane. But the Stax o2 is still an extremely nice headphone. I'm just saying that in my case it was not very comfortable. 

Quote:
The cups rotate, the pads rotate, and the metal arcs can be bent, making it very difficult to not find a correct fit for any head size/shape.  You might be thinking of another headphone.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #4,557 of 11,521
He's saying they don't swivel in the direction that the k1000 drivers swivel, for example. This isn't needed on the007 though because the pads are angled so rotating the pads accomplishes the same thing.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4,559 of 11,521
Sorry about this thread going odd topic. I'll stop the swivel-nagging after this final post :)

The HD800, HD650 and HE-500 also have swivel action. If the o2 fits you nicely, it's great - I'm just saying some heads need cups to be more angled than other heads and that the  O2 cups are restrained to the tension of the headband itself. 

Quote:
He's saying they don't swivel in the direction that the k1000 drivers swivel, for example. This isn't needed on the007 though because the pads are angled so rotating the pads accomplishes the same thing.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4,560 of 11,521
Hmm...As someone not a part of this 'rage' I can say that this thread seems to be getting off topic, and not very interesting to people who are not part of the mud tossing. So if we could get back to the LCD-3 and not personal preferences in the build/design of expensive cans, or how a tube amp 'should' sound. Rather things that directly concern the LCD-3 - and not start flaming things more than necessary. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back