New Audeze LCD3
Mar 11, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #4,291 of 11,521
Put another way, the prior pair I had sounded more like an LCD2 "r3" with certain things better such as smoother treble, little bit better articulation on the bass, slightly faster treble, but a step back in clarity and excessive thickness and mud in the bass. Though most who heard it at the Bay Area meet felt it sounded very good, at least with the TP mods in place. However, the consensus was basically: "not worth it over the r2." 

These new ones to me were like "holy cow!" There's a certain realism in which instruments and voices are articulated and enunciated which transcends the tonal balance of the headphones (it still maintains the Audeze house sound.) The mid-centric nature, i.e. the creamy mids of the r1 are back, but yet without the dullness that sometimes came with that. The speed and separation of notes is just on another level compared to the r2. These new pair have a little more air too - not to far off from the HD800 - but obviously more subdued because the HD800 is just crazy elevated in the last octave. Honestly, I was wondering if Audeze purposely gave me a special cherry-picked pair which was LCD3r2 or a prototype LCD4 by accident! Or if my food got spiked with some magic mushrooms.

I don't usually stay up all night very much these days listening to music, but it got to the point where after a I went through a small stack of CDs, I was so tired (half-asleep and half-listening) that I had to peel myself off the bed to shut off the amp. Again I probably need more time with these; and it's unfortunate Anax never got to hear it from a  good setup (the Sony X is one of those weaker portables that really can't anything more than high efficiency headphones) so he could provide additional input. But even from the portable, he did say that he had some dangerous thoughts about actually grabbing one of these for himself. And he was never a big fan of the Audeze 'phones to put things politely.

I hope this won't be making things more difficult for Alex and Sankar. On one hand, their product, when working according to spec, is crazy good. Something that all owners and potential customers should have no doubt about. On the other, they may have their hands full with owners sending in their headphones wondering if their headphones are indeed up to snuff.

And no, I really don't want to go back to the HD800s tonight.

I think we are on the same page finally. My new LCD3 killed my urge for buying sr009+727 system. Because, to me, it is simply better.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #4,292 of 11,521

Quote:
I like both the LCD-3 and Staxen, and both enthrall me, but for quite different reasons. In terms of objective performance I don't hear the LCD-3 as matching up to what purrin describes. Not so much an issue of preferring one coloration over another, or one presentation over another, but I genuinely don't hear the LCD-3 as performing on that level. It doesn't seem that much of a step up from the LCD-2 to my ears.

I think sending it in to Audez'e is definitely worth a shot.

For me it took a Leben CS300 and perfectly produced SACD to really found out what so special with this headphone. The sense of air moving and a truly holographic soundstage combined with the best bass, the best midrange, and the best treble I have ever heard made them step 30-40% ahead of a rev2.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4,293 of 11,521
Even after reading all the posts concerning veiled LCD-3s, and driver failure, the talk of how good they are capable of sounding has me interested in ordering a pair.  I wonder what the odds are of getting a perfect pair the first time is.

I now own LCD-2r2, HD-800 and D7000.  If I got LCD-3s and liked them enough, I would really have to consider selling two of my current cans.  I guess that would be the LCD-2, and . . . . . probably the D7000s.  Having LCD-3s and HD-800s seems to me like all bases would be covered.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #4,294 of 11,521

Quote:
Put another way, the prior pair I had sounded more like an LCD2 "r3" with certain things better such as smoother treble, little bit better articulation on the bass, slightly faster treble, but a step back in clarity and excessive thickness and mud in the bass. Though most who heard it at the Bay Area meet felt it sounded very good, at least with the TP mods in place. However, the consensus was basically: "not worth it over the r2." 

These new ones to me were like "holy cow!" There's a certain realism in which instruments and voices are articulated and enunciated which transcends the tonal balance of the headphones (it still maintains the Audeze house sound.) The mid-centric nature, i.e. the creamy mids of the r1 are back, but yet without the dullness that sometimes came with that. The speed and separation of notes is just on another level compared to the r2. These new pair have a little more air too - not to far off from the HD800 - but obviously more subdued because the HD800 is just crazy elevated in the last octave. Honestly, I was wondering if Audeze purposely gave me a special cherry-picked pair which was LCD3r2 or a prototype LCD4 by accident! Or if my food got spiked with some magic mushrooms.

I don't usually stay up all night very much these days listening to music, but it got to the point where after a I went through a small stack of CDs, I was so tired (half-asleep and half-listening) that I had to peel myself off the bed to shut off the amp. Again I probably need more time with these; and it's unfortunate Anax never got to hear it from a  good setup (the Sony X is one of those weaker portables that really can't anything more than high efficiency headphones) so he could provide additional input. But even from the portable, he did say that he had some dangerous thoughts about actually grabbing one of these for himself. And he was never a big fan of the Audeze 'phones to put things politely.

I hope this won't be making things more difficult for Alex and Sankar. On one hand, their product, when working according to spec, is crazy good. Something that all owners and potential customers should have no doubt about. On the other, they may have their hands full with owners sending in their headphones wondering if their headphones are indeed up to snuff.

And no, I really don't want to go back to the HD800s tonight.

Hey Purin, I live in LA near OC.  I was wondering if it is possible to meet up sometime.  I havent heard what an LCD3 is suppose to sound like.  I was wondering if I can compare mine to yours or you could give me an opinion on mine.  

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4,297 of 11,521
Quote:

x3

I have been wanting to order a pair of these ever since reading all the initial rave reviews, and because of my long term love affair with my R1s.  So long in fact that there has never been a time period of this length where I have owned a headphone and not even begun to think of trying something new, and/or upgrading, in my entire experience with headphones.  I am that smitten with the R1.  So if what purrin says with regards to maintaining the R1 sound but elevating to a much improved level, then I surely plan to order a pair in the future.  It's just a shame that I still don't see that happening any time soon because of the "when it rains it pours" level of debacles.

I wish all the best to Audeze though and truly hope they find a permanent remedy to their woes.  My R1 has performed flawlessly since purchase, knock on wood, and based on that experience I would rather not associate Audeze with issues and unreliability.  So with that I sit patiently and remain optimistic.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #4,299 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

x3

I have been wanting to order a pair of these ever since reading all the initial rave reviews, and because of my long term love affair with my R1s.  So long in fact that there has never been a time period of this length where I have owned a headphone and not even begun to think of trying something new, and/or upgrading, in my entire experience with headphones.  I am that smitten with the R1.  So if what purrin says with regards to maintaining the R1 sound but elevating to a much improved level, then I surely plan to order a pair in the future.  It's just a shame that I still don't see that happening any time soon because of the "when it rains it pours" level of debacles.

I wish all the best to Audeze though and truly hope they find a permanent remedy to their woes.  My R1 has performed flawlessly since purchase, knock on wood, and based on that experience I would rather not associate Audeze with issues and unreliability.  So with that I sit patiently and remain optimistic.

The Audeze guys are obviously very concerned about this. Since they are a stone's throw away from my house, Alex (and another Audeze employee, not Sankar), came by to drop off a replacement pair and whisked away the half-dead pair, presumably for autopsy.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,300 of 11,521
Quote:
The Audeze guys are obviously very concerned about this. Since they are a stone's throw away from my house, Alex (and another Audeze employee, not Sankar), came by to drop off a replacement pair and whisked away the half-dead pair, presumably for autopsy.

You might happen to be unusually close to their office and all but still, awesome service.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #4,301 of 11,521
Purrins new comments almost make me want to try another pair, but after 2 pair, I dont know if I can stomach buying another. If I was guaranteed a good one I might think about it.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #4,302 of 11,521
It's an easier call if you know they are down the street from you, otherwise it might be best to let the dust settle a little bit.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #4,303 of 11,521
How's you second replacement? Does it sound consistent with the previous one?

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #4,304 of 11,521

Quote:
How's you second replacement? Does it sound consistent with the previous one?

I'd like to hear about this too. If it is, things are definietly looking up for Audez'e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back