New Audeze LCD3
Jan 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2,941 of 11,521

Quote:
LoL, I did not think that there was so little understanding here about Six Sigma and Gage R&Rs. Simply put, without it there is no statistical means of verifying the accuracy of a measurement system. Plain and simple. 

Its not just "generic" stuff, it's used in the real world every day. Our customers demand it of all devices that directly measure critical to quality dimensions. All for very good reason.

I should have been more precise in my post: I found the gage discussion funny because basicall, in the context of headphone measuring head with Tyll's process (multiple positions average), that would account for 1-2dB variations at most. 5-6dB is way beyond the measurement error you are trying to assess with this Q/C procedure.

I am not saying you don't have a job in this situation (my apologies if you took offense), but we're way past this kind of uncertainty. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,943 of 11,521

Quote:
Where are all these properly manufactured headphones systems with few acoustic and structural resonances?  Are headphones that different in Japan?  The versions sent to the states certainly do not have these characteristics at all.  It's bloody difficult to find even a few headphones at any price point that have resonance characteristics as good as 100 dollar speakers. 

It's going to be a long discussion if I have to justify the low mode count in a headphone system. The first acoustic resonances appears typically above 1-2kHz and they're quite stable unless the ear pads are a total mess (controlled by the air space dimensions). There are typically 20 acoustic resonances at most over the large part of the audio range.  

The frame is typically exceedingly stiff and there are also no or few mechanical resonances. The membrane can have a lot of resonances  but - see the 2 SR009 responses - only the first piston mode radiates efficiently and its resonace frequency is tightly controlled because it governs the bass extension in estat headphones. In the case of planar magnetic drivers, the etched film is likely manufactured under tight tolerancing so I would except these drivers to have consistent behaviour as wel, although indeed Audeze has a history of problems there.

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,944 of 11,521
I can't speak for anyone else's headphones, but I can confirm the following:

• The LCD3 pair I own sounded exactly like that of the two pairs Audeze brought to the Irvine meet. I am not the only one who has said this.
  • The four LCD2r2s I've heard with the exception of one sounded pretty consistent. The oddball pair was corroborated by two other people who heard the same set of pairs that I did with the exception of one good pair.
  • Now it's possible that some LCD3s sound different from others. WarriorAnt mentioned to me probable variability in terms of the shelf / veil from someone who purchased two pairs.
  • That being said, FWIW, I measured the FR of my LCD3 and LCD2r2. The LCD3 is down 3-4db from 2kHz-8kHz, and also has a little bit more sub-bass:

LCD3

r2

It's not a big deal to me because I can get a similar tonal balance to the r2 with the TP mod on the LCD3. Maybe I'll make a nice animated GIF...

But yeah, hopefully I'll get to measure another LCD3 or two.

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,945 of 11,521
Veild Audezes.

Hello to all,

this is my first post here and my english is terrible but i hope you can understand what i want to tell you. Maybe it can help.

I was owner of Rev 1 and Rev 2 and now the LCD-3 .

My Rev1 was one from the latest and in the first 160 hours it sounded sometimes veiled but it lost this completly after 200 hrs.

But there is a very important thing to know. Magnetostats like Audeze or Maggies needs a lot power during the burn in.

This means 24 hrs play a day with high Volume. Music to use : for example yello or something like this. Example for Volume: The volume of my Liquidfire with LCD-3 is around two to three o´clock.

I hope this helps 

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,946 of 11,521
Hmm. Just going back in this thread and read about Olias and mwilson's experiences. JPnums had also suggested I send them back - at least for Audeze to take a look at them. I don't know what to think now.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,949 of 11,521
Finally, the LCD-3 is it better than 009 ? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2,950 of 11,521
Finally, the LCD-3 is it better than 009 ? 
biggrin.gif

Somewhere in the Far East a certain banned member is just busting at the seams to answer this question in a flourish of a list of qualifying associated components that apparently should make mere mortals drop their knees and kiss the ground just to hear mention of them. That said, I thought the 009 sounded great with whatever Jack Woo had it hooked up to at RMAF. I did go back and forth to the lcd3 samples nearby FWIW and still thought the tonal weight that I was hearing from the Audeze sounded more natural to me than the more detailed 009. Of course neither was being pushed by the golden front end that will cost your soul to have, though our banned friend might suggest you might as well just shoot yourself now before you listen with anything less at the healm. Short answer: IMHO the differences I heard would never be worth it to me - but then I prefer speakers so take that with a bag of salt.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,951 of 11,521
Now that there is one funny answer!

Quote:
Somewhere in the Far East a certain banned member is just busting at the seams to answer this question in a flourish of a list of qualifying associated components that apparently should make mere mortals drop their knees and kiss the ground just to hear mention of them. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,952 of 11,521
@ purrin

If Audeze will cover the costs might as well get another data point.  Maybe you'll get lucky w/ a new batch.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,953 of 11,521
I got around to scanning both my LCD-2 r2 and LCD-3 frequency graphs. LCD-3 on top, LCD-2 below (click either for a larger version). The graphs seem to roughly correspond to what I'm hearing - more treble on the LCD-2, not as much on the LCD-3. Has anyone else observed this as well?

Quote:
Drinking the Spritzer koolaid, eh?

Apparently I missed something somewhere, because I don't know what you're referring to. I've never really followed spritzer's posts on Head-Fi and I stopped reading "the other site" a couple of months ago.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #2,955 of 11,521
The opinions of the lcd3 are all over the place and some of the graphs seem to favor the lcd2 as being better. It seems like a crap shoot on if they are worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back