New Audeze LCD3
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,621 of 11,521
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,622 of 11,521

I like the LCD3 very much for how it sounds. Rev 2 to me was a joke making it sound more high end, an electrostatic wannabe (without coming even close) by giving up its original lush sound signature. I thought Rev 2 was just a temporary solution due to driver failures of a batch of Rev 1's several months ago, and now the sound signature of LCD 3 confirms it.  Luckily the 3 brings the Rev 1 sound back and now sounds much less muddled with details while retaining the smoothness, and no way I am changing anything to make it sound like the Rev 2.

The LCD-2r2 sound good on acoustic instruments, the LCD-2r1 don't, and unfortunately the LCD-3 are closer to the r1 than the r2 in this regard,

For example, just compare the sound of brass instruments on your LCD-3 and on your SR-009 (if you don't have the LCD-2r2). The LCD-3 simply can't carry it off. You will notice an unnaturally smooth and muffled sound where much of the detail and clarity of the grainy raspy sound of these instruments is gone on the LCD-3. The LCD-2r1 had the same problem, but the r2 are pretty good on this.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,624 of 11,521

Quote:
Not Rob here, but they SHOULD be included with each and every LCD-2 and LCD-3. I'd shoot Sankar an email to get yours. They are made specific by Audeze for each serial number.

Anyone else not receive a graph with their phones? It has been two days since my email to Sankar, and to my disappointment, I have yet to evoke a response. Makes me wonder if my pair was even tested!

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,625 of 11,521

Quote:
Agreed, unfortunately. I decided to return my LCD-3. I thought they would sound better than my LCD-2r2, but they sound somewhat worse. I wish I could keep the ear pads, though...

Good for you. If you feel this way, it's better to let it go. I'm sorry that you do not enjoy the LCD3 but the r2. But hey, every one hears differently, and have different standard on good SQ, there is no point on convincing each other .

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,626 of 11,521
Nov 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,628 of 11,521

Quote:
I don't doubt the sonic change it can make, but putting some toilet paper into a $1945 headphone may not be what every one prefers, aesthetically speaking.

Toilet paper is just a damping material, of which there are already two layers in the LCD3.  And toilet paper is actually an excellent damping material. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,629 of 11,521

Quote:

Quote:
I don't doubt the sonic change it can make, but putting some toilet paper into a $1945 headphone may not be what every one prefers, aesthetically speaking.

I don't think there is a significant difference in the FR, from a scientific prospect. I think the difference one hear from this mod is not due to the change of FR. Again, I don't really like the change from r1 to r2, kills all the fun for me. The flavour of LCD3 hit the spot, without any draw back, and don't really want to down grade it back to r2 anyway. But this is just me.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,630 of 11,521

Quote:
Toilet paper is just a damping material, of which there are already two layers in the LCD3.  And toilet paper is actually an excellent damping material. 

Which brand will you use then? Andrex with little puppies?
biggrin.gif
 Two layers? Three layers? With air bags? Lots of fun to play with the materials 
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,631 of 11,521

Quote:

Only if it's used toilet paper...
wink_face.gif

At least it will go with my Schiit Lyr and (soon to be acquired) Bifrost.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,633 of 11,521
My kind of mod. Easy, non-invasive/warranty-voiding, free, and easily reversible. Thanks, even though I like the sound of my rev.1 I may try this out on it for kicks.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,634 of 11,521
Well you can tune the sound to your liking using tubes, assuming you have tube amps. Or just swap between different solid state amp to find the one you like most. That's another feasible way to tune it without doing anything to the headphone...

Perhaps when I am free during the Thanksgiving week I will be experimenting a bit with some toilet paper 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back