New Audeze LCD3
Nov 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,336 of 11,521
We should consolidate this thread with the "Listening Impressions" thread since now that the LCD-3s are in our hands both threads will carry discussions of people's listening reviews.

I have been wearing mine for 30 minutes and the only issue I am having is keeping the volume at a low level.  The desire to "turn it up" is strong.  I spent a good amount of time with these at Canjam (loved them there).  Now I can listen to them with my equipment (Logitech Touch>Van Alstine FET Valve Hybrid DAC>Leben CS300XS).  As much as I enjoyed my LCD-2 Rev 1s, these are in a different class.  The are so balanced from the low end to the upper treble.  And they are so natural sounding.

As a bonus, they are more comfortable.  They feel lighter and the ear pads have more cushion.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #1,337 of 11,521

Quote:

Probably meant "These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any out of the K701."

Quote:
Not necessarily a good thing - I think I get your drift though 
wink.gif

Should have proof read better before I hit submit. Yes, you guys are correct. We all know the K701s are light in the bottom end and many on this site despise them. Not a fair comparison for sure, but I was startled as to how much better the LCD3s are in every way. I started playing bass when I was eleven and toured in bands for years playing rock, fusion, and standard jazz. There is a reason why us bass players always have the biggest rig to lug around. You have to move more air to create that satisfying bottom end. It just takes bigger speakers and more power to move that air.

First time I was completely satisfied with the full frequency response in a headphone was at RMAF 2011. The HE-6/Darkstar combo blew me away. Ray was also using the Boulder CD player as his front end, and this was a factor for sure. There are so many variables at those shows to consider from table to table that affect the sound quality. I liked the new Audeze's a lot at the show also, better for my taste than the 009s. But not everybody cares so much about the lower register, so I can understand those that prefer the Stax. Being that I owned an Apache and did not want to buy the Darkstar to pair with the HE-6, I decided at the show to buy the LCD3s. 

I feel like I have been looking out a window covered with mud, and today the window was opened. I have been going through my collection today and I'm hearing things I did not even no were there. With some of my best recordings, I feel like I am on stage with my bass, with everything around me articulate and clear in its proper place. The resolution is amazing. Most important for me, I don't have to keep turning up the volume to try and achieve that satisfying bottom end. These cans just have it. Yes, full bodied music reproduction at a comfortable sound pressure! 

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,339 of 11,521
     Quote:
We should consolidate this thread with the "Listening Impressions" thread since now that the LCD-3s are in our hands both threads will carry discussions of people's listening reviews.

I have been wearing mine for 30 minutes and the only issue I am having is keeping the volume at a low level.  The desire to "turn it up" is strong.  I spent a good amount of time with these at Canjam (loved them there).  Now I can listen to them with my equipment (Logitech Touch>Van Alstine FET Valve Hybrid DAC>Leben CS300XS).  As much as I enjoyed my LCD-2 Rev 1s, these are in a different class.  The are so balanced from the low end to the upper treble.  And they are so natural sounding.

As a bonus, they are more comfortable.  They feel lighter and the ear pads have more cushion.

+1 to everything you said (except I had the LCD-2 Rev 2s)...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,340 of 11,521

Quote:
Sounded to me as though he was talking about how loud you can take the Rev.1's without your ears bleeding from the highs, not how easy they are to drive.

He also mentioned the ability to drive them overall:

Quote:
An R1 Advantage: It's easier to raise the volume of the LCD-2 R1 than the LCD-3.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #1,341 of 11,521

Quote:

Probably meant "These cans add bass to stuff that does not have even has have any out of the K701."

Exactly....the bass was always there (the frequency response charts of the LCD-2s and LCD-3s show that)....AKG would have you believe otherwise though.
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,342 of 11,521

Quote:
Exactly....the bass was always there (the frequency response charts of the LCD-2s and LCD-3s show that)....AKG would have you believe otherwise though. 
tongue.gif

That was one of the two things that I really liked about the Schiit Lyr, it was the best amp for the K701 and made it sound more balanced. It was the only headphone that I tried out of the Lyr that really made it sound right, and the only headphone that I tried that sounded better out of the Lyr than out of any other amp. If I was to dedicate an amp to the K701 it would definitely be the Lyr. From this and one other experience I have decided that the K701 thrives on gain as much as actual power. The other thing I liked about the Lyr was that it was a great-sounding dynamic preamp for my speakers.

To get back on topic, the LCD-3 might not sound as good out of the Lyr as the LCD-2 does, just a guess. We'll have to wait for confirmation from you on that though 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,343 of 11,521
Oh, yes it does! 
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

...and I am back to rolling tubes to make it sound even better.  But right now, with Matsu****a (sorry...make that Valvo Trimica) PCC88s, it already sounds better than the LCD-2 Rev.2s I had just two days ago.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
That was one of the two things that I really liked about the Schiit Lyr, it was the best amp for the K701 and made it sound more balanced. It was the only headphone that I tried out of the Lyr that really made it sound right, and the only headphone that I tried that sounded better out of the Lyr than out of any other amp. If I was to dedicate an amp to the K701 it would definitely be the Lyr. From this and one other experience I have decided that the K701 thrives on gain as much as actual power. The other thing I liked about the Lyr was that it was a great-sounding dynamic preamp for my speakers.

To get back on topic, the LCD-3 might not sound as good out of the Lyr as the LCD-2 does, just a guess. We'll have to wait for confirmation from you on that though 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,344 of 11,521
Haha thanks HK, that's good to know. I was really just trying to steer back to the LCD-3 
tongue_smile.gif

Looking at your profile I see that you also have the Indeed G2; that was the other amp that sounded surprisingly good with the K701, and mine at least has extremely high gain.

biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,345 of 11,521

Quote:
Haha thanks HK, that's good to know. I was really just trying to steer back to the LCD-3 
tongue_smile.gif

Looking at your profile I see that you also have the Indeed G2; that was the other amp that sounded surprisingly good with the K701, and mine at least has extremely high gain.

biggrin.gif

For a cheap little attention-getter amp, I'm surprised at how well it sounds.  Haven't tried the LCD-3s on it yet.
All I can say is I am trying to burn the LCD-3s in a little but keep getting drawn back in for a listen. 
wink_face.gif

I am also waiting for my Q-Audio cable to arrive.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,346 of 11,521
You'll have to start burning in again when the cable arrives 
eek.gif

wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,348 of 11,521
Received the LCD3's tonight and really enjoying them so far.

So... what are the top couple cable recommendations for the LCD3 so far? (recognizing they may be different than the LCD2, but probably some correlation).

Thanks

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,349 of 11,521
Quote:
Received the LCD3's tonight and really enjoying them so far.

So... what are the top couple cable recommendations for the LCD3 so far? (recognizing they may be different than the LCD2, but probably some correlation).

Thanks

I don't see that the Q-Audio cable should be any less capable with the LCD-3 than with the LCD-2.  It seems to get out of the way sonically, and it can't be beat for its lightness and flexibility.
Of course, it's IMHO and YMMV...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back