New Audeze LCD3
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #826 of 11,521

Quote:
I'll just wait for the LCD-2 rev 3, hopefully that will be coming soon and will have some trickle down technology from LCD-3.  I find $1,945 hard to justify, though I'm sure it sounds great.

Don't hold your breath if you're expecting Audeze to do anything to undercut their new flagship...it will be a long while, if ever.  The best you'll probably be able to get (without serious modding dedication of your own) are the new headband and earpads.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #827 of 11,521

Quote:
I'll just wait for the LCD-2 rev 3, hopefully that will be coming soon and will have some trickle down technology from LCD-3. 

You'll be waiting a very very long time.  Talking w/ Sankar on Sunday the r.2 was not about upgrading or changing the driver to offer a new/upgraded product.  It was about managing QC issues from a previous materials supplier which explains my wide and varied experience w/ quite a few r.1s.  So nothing really indicates they would somehow adopt a new strategy from an r.3 and cannibalize their own LCD3 sales in the process.  

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #828 of 11,521

Quote:
Don't hold your breath if you're expecting Audeze to do anything to undercut their new flagship...it will be a long while, if ever.  The best you'll probably be able to get (without serious modding dedication of your own) are the new headband and earpads.

Heh, well said.  
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #829 of 11,521

Quote:
You'll be waiting a very very long time.  Talking w/ Sankar on Sunday the r.2 was not about upgrading or changing the driver to offer a new/upgraded product.  It was about managing QC issues from a previous materials supplier which explains my wide and varied experience w/ quite a few r.1s.  So nothing really indicates they would somehow adopt a new strategy from an r.3 and cannibalize their own LCD3 sales in the process.  

Yeah if they were going to sell an LCD-2 with a new rev3 driver, they'd just drop the price of the LCD-3 instead because that's pretty much what it is. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #830 of 11,521
I want the LCD3 so much not only I preordered it, I asked Audeze for a pre-order for the LCD3 Rev 2 as well, but there is no response. Heck I may just put in a fund with them and get whatever comes out from them each year.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #831 of 11,521

Quote:
I want the LCD3 so much not only I preordered it, I asked Audeze for a pre-order for the LCD3 Rev 2 as well, but there is no response. Heck I may just put in a fund with them and get whatever comes out from them each year.

Why not fly over to the factory to pick them up - it took a full 3 days for the rev2 to reach me in Australia - by my reckoning that's about 58 hours too long *(supposing their factory is in LA lol)

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #832 of 11,521

Quote:
Yeah if they were going to sell an LCD-2 with a new rev3 driver, they'd just drop the price of the LCD-3 instead because that's pretty much what it is. 

I would say it's more like LCD2 rev 3.5 or 4.0 
biggrin.gif

But seriously, the LCD3 is a good headphone. The LCD-2r1 was a headphone that I really tried to like before I eventually gave up on it. The LCD3 is one I would keep.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #833 of 11,521
I am just wondering - how much is my CLAS->DB2->SR71B rig inferior to the desktop ones like Isabella (spelling) and stuff like the Dark Star? I am quite happy with the "brick" rig with the LCD2, but not sure if it would get the most out of the LCD3. Of course, I have my Esoteric K-01 and Leben CS300XS at home but I wouldn't even start considering bringing that to office. I may consider bringing the LCD3 to home and test it with my home gear for a few days though so I will have chance to compare it with the SR009 on the same CD player.  

In short, it comes down to two questions:

(1) Is the LCD3 more sensitive to improvement in source? In my experience the improvement in source gear did not bring as much improvement to the LCD2 as to the SR009 or my speaker rig. If it is more geared towards the 009 side of things, I may consider getting the Antelope Zodiac Gold in office.

(2) Is the LCD3 any harder to drive than the LCD2? The answer so far seems to be no?

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #834 of 11,521
I'm not really interested in SS amps with more distortion than the headphones themselves...if I were building a LCD3 rig and couldn't solder, I'd try to find a used B22.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #835 of 11,521

Quote:
Is the LCD3 any harder to drive than the LCD2? The answer so far seems to be no?

According to the tech specs:

LCD-3:

- Impedance: 50Ohms, nominal
- Efficiency: 93dB/1mW

LCD-2:

• Impedance: 60 Ohms, nominal
• Efficiency: 91 dB/1mW

Both:

Maximum output: 133dB, 15W

Seems like the LCD-3 should be slightly more sensitive, and easier to drive.

(Source: Audeze website)

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #836 of 11,521

Googleli:  You are happy.  You just haven't accepted that you are.  Now leave head-fi behind young grasshopper and continue your adventure into the world.
Quote:
I am just wondering - how much is my CLAS->DB2->SR71B rig inferior to the desktop ones like Isabella (spelling) and stuff like the Dark Star? I am quite happy with the "brick" rig with the LCD2, but not sure if it would get the most out of the LCD3. Of course, I have my Esoteric K-01 and Leben CS300XS at home but I wouldn't even start considering bringing that to office. I may consider bringing the LCD3 to home and test it with my home gear for a few days though so I will have chance to compare it with the SR009 on the same CD player.  

In short, it comes down to two questions:

(1) Is the LCD3 more sensitive to improvement in source? In my experience the improvement in source gear did not bring as much improvement to the LCD2 as to the SR009 or my speaker rig. If it is more geared towards the 009 side of things, I may consider getting the Antelope Zodiac Gold in office.

(2) Is the LCD3 any harder to drive than the LCD2? The answer so far seems to be no?

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #837 of 11,521

Quote:

Hehe, Googleli "le mécène" ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mécène ) of audio manufacturers  :wink:.
I tell you what: send them 15 grands now and ask for sn001 serial number for all the releases until xmas 2015! Alternativaly, order a one-off for 20 grands and have it engraved with your name, that should be sufficient to cool down your CC for a little while :wink:

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #838 of 11,521
The Zodiac Gold is too much DAC for one man...That being said...I want one.

Quote:

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #839 of 11,521
Googleli could prolly afford to fund and start up a new headphone company.  Hire me to manage the company and I'll pinch Alex and Sankar to work for us and our new product will be the LCD-3 with a different headband and rebadge it as the PLASMA-6. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back