New Audeze LCD3
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #391 of 11,521

Quote:
Illegitimate impressions. Your impressions are legitimate, but mine aren't?

He's not talking about your impressions, he's talking about meet impressions in general, which aren't as reliable because of the noise, time constraints, gear variables, music variables, cool head-fiers distracting you, sexy JH girls distracting you, and whatever beverages may or may not be coloring your judgement...

IME the LCD-2 is one of the worst meet performers because of the open back and their no-treble-peak signature which doesn't hold up to background noise as well as brighter headphones.  At least that was my feeling trying to listen to mine at a meet. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #392 of 11,521
He's not talking about your impressions, he's talking about meet impressions in general, which aren't as reliable because of the noise, time constraints, gear variables, music variables, cool head-fiers distracting you, sexy JH girls distracting you, and whatever beverages may or may not be coloring your judgement...

He said to wait for legitimate impressions. What other kind of impressions are there? I would not trust someone listening at home for 5-20 minutes more than someone listening at a show for the same duration. A full review is quite a different animal and is more reliable.

And distractions? Anyone there would have told you I was never distracted while taking notes. The vendors kept asking if I was with a magazine or something.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #393 of 11,521
Even if I have to trust impressions from the show, I would trust someone who actually puts his money based on his impressions. Like Jalo, who auditioned WES/SR009 and LCD3 and ordered the WES/009 combo.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #394 of 11,521

Quote:
They don't really create any competition though.  For the audiophile market, the T50 is only half a headphone.  I'm not even sure the people at Fostex know what kind of potential their own driver has, though the other new planars are probably giving them some nasty ideas.  But as great as a modded T50rp might be it can't be compared to the other planars because everyone does the mods differently.  The Thunderpants or some other standard mod is really the only modded T50rp that can be compared or reviewed in a meaningful way IMO. 

Er, someone commented there were two makers of orthos today. I noted there are 3.  Nobody said they had to be in a side by side review or even that they were "competition."  And anyone, why does it matter that they aren't "competition" or going to be peer-reviewed (though who knows), so really who cares?  And while it's not competition it has a niche that is related.

As you know, since you've been on the thread, some of us believe we have created realized serious potential with these.  And some people like them for the adventure and a chance to get some real OMG factor out of an ortho for the price of mediocre earbuds.  Have a beer on me, and enjoy whatever orthos float your boat...  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #396 of 11,521

Quote:
He said to wait for legitimate impressions. What other kind of impressions are there? I would not trust someone listening at home for 5-20 minutes more than someone listening at a show for the same duration. A full review is quite a different animal and is more reliable.
And distractions? Anyone there would have told you I was never distracted while taking notes. The vendors kept asking if I was with a magazine or something.

Impressions from people whom's ears I trust? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #397 of 11,521

Impressions from people whom's ears I trust? 
biggrin.gif

You'll be able to decide that for yourself when I'm done with my impressions post. I make no claim, but that I have actually listened to all of these setups and was able to tell differences every time. Interpret my findings and use them if you wish.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #398 of 11,521

Quote:

IME the LCD-2 is one of the worst meet performers because of the open back and their no-treble-peak signature which doesn't hold up to background noise as well as brighter headphones.  At least that was my feeling trying to listen to mine at a meet. 

Yes this is pretty much what I meant.

Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree then.  I wasn't saying that your impressions are inferior to others' impressions, I was talking about the situation.  If I said "don't listen to Max, you guys should read Jude's impressions instead" then I could see you getting offended and for a perfectly legitimate reason.  My comment was more a reminder that meet impressions (especially those at a speaker show in a large room) are about the least reliable impressions there are.  Just look at some of the impressions in this thread; some said there was hardly any difference between the LCD2/3 and then others are saying the LCD3 is the best thing in the world. 

I certainly don't agree that x amount of time at home carries the same validity as x amount of time at RMAF.  I don't know about you, but my listening space at home doesn't sound like a tradeshow and my open back headphones let outside noise in.  I also personally find listening critically to a bunch of setups at meets a bit fatiguing.  If you're interested, my own ranking of impression validity is something like this:

Impressions by somebody who has owned the HP for a while
had the HP for a short amount of time (loaner or just got it)
in home audition
small meet or get together (like the NJ/NY/Norcal/Socal guys do)
local meet with multiple rooms
RMAF/CJ/meet with one large room

I also agree with purrin that it is important to note whose ears you trust.  Some things I look for:

Have I agreed with a lot of this person's posts?
Do we share similar tastes in music?
How experienced is this person?
Do they have technical or professional knowledge?
Is there a reason for them to be biased?
Very important to me but apparently few agree: Does the person review negatively?  To me the worst are people who review tons of gear and yet it all 'sounds great for the money', 'is the best I've ever heard', etc.  

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #399 of 11,521
I'll end the off topic here, but wanted to mention that I too was worried about fatigue making it difficult to tell differences after going through multiple rigs, but found that to not be the case at all. Each time I was able to start with a fresh slate. My taking handwritten notes I'm sure had a lot to do with that since I didn't have to remember anything. Also, I'll cover this in my big impressions post and will not respond to it in this thread, but in short, I found I had no trouble with outside noise whatsoever with only one exception, the K1000 due to it's completely open nature.

Regarding the source of this rift between us, I believe now reading your last post that we are dealing with a semantic issue. To me a short term 'review' is what constitutes an impression. You listen for a short time in any environment with whatever music is available and form an impression to build on later if needed. Owning the headphone for many days, or performing a full review in a controlled environment constitutes a full review in my book. Certainly someone who has owned a headphone for a very long time can be even more reliable than the one who has only had it for a week, assuming also that they are not being effected by new toy syndrome. When you said legitimate impressions I was offended as you can see from my definition, that your statement implied that my impressions were not as good as someone else's.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #400 of 11,521

To answer the first part of your question:

I own a Rev1 pair of LCD-2.

I once ran a test: continuous sound with constantly increasing frequency (the sort you can find on youtube).
The quality of such test is surely questionable, but when the sound wave ran through 6-8Khz,
I could clearly feel the sound travelling back and forth beween left and right ear a few times.
If you check the response graph, this is exactly the area where the curve starts flickering.

I don't think it's possible to match 2 drivers that sound identical in this area, especially the early revisions.

Quote:
I'm just kind of curious, if i were to buy an lcd-2 or an lcd-3 and found the graphs to show that the right and left drivers were different would audeze do anything for me as a customer?
Also i am kind of curious if someone had an lcd-2 and an lcd-3, could they swap the drivers out of the lcd-3 and put them in the lcd-2 and then sell the lcd-3's with the lcd-2 driver and rip someone off? Just curious because i wouldn't want that to happen to me.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #401 of 11,521

Quote:

I think the LCD-2 the way it radiate sounds outward act a bit like active noise cancellor headphones while playing music which would more then compensate for non peaky treble. I am amazed of it´s ability to shut off computer noise. Haven´t heard it at meets but I think it would do much much better then something like an HD 800 for example.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #402 of 11,521
I'm wondering if the housing is almost the same (save for maybe the baffle/mounting) why cant Audez'e offer driver upgrade package?  Could shave a couple of hundred dollars off the cost of upgrading.  But at $2k (looking to lose circa $1300 to upgrade) I think I might sit this one out, especially with how the aesthetics have taken a dive.  I think I have thrown enough money away on changing headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #403 of 11,521
I'm waiting for some more impressions and reviews as I save more money. I could see getting my Phonitor and then upgrading my LCD 2 down the line when the LCD 3 get a street price (sometime next year maybe).

Or if the LCD 3 doesn't wow as much as it seems like they are (i.e. SR007/009 tier) I'll just get me some Stax. :D

EDIT: But right now I'm just going to enjoy my new Rev 2 and not let the LCD 3 release bother me anymore.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the housing is almost the same (save for maybe the baffle/mounting) why cant Audez'e offer driver upgrade package?  Could shave a couple of hundred dollars off the cost of upgrading.  But at $2k (looking to lose circa $1300 to upgrade) I think I might sit this one out, especially with how the aesthetics have taken a dive.  I think I have thrown enough money away on changing headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #404 of 11,521
Some of the posts I've read here and on other Forums center on the LC-3's double ticket price than the 2, if it's indeed worth it, what are these Audeze guys thinking, etc.  These comments don't have anything to do with the LC-3 but more the fact that LC-2 owners who (having written countless Forum posts on the glories of the 2 and how much better they are than greater priced Senn HD800's, T-1's, HE-6's) no longer have bragging rights.  We owned a sub $1,000 audiophile headphone that absolutely kicks butt, is built in America, and we could rub that in others audio-dom.  I've never heard the 3 but I bet it is better by quite a bit and why shouldn't it be?  Speaker companies have flagships that have substantial cost over other models and they are much better.  So it's not like we got dumped by the prom queen here.  It's more like the Porsche (Corvette, Ferrari, Bugatti) you bought last year that was top dog just was offered with a new engine package making the car faster but doubles it's prices.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #405 of 11,521

Quote:
I'm waiting for some more impressions and reviews as I save more money. I could see getting my Phonitor and then upgrading my LCD 2 down the line when the LCD 3 get a street price (sometime next year maybe).

Or if the LCD 3 doesn't wow as much as it seems like they are (i.e. SR007/009 tier) I'll just get me some Stax. :D

EDIT: But right now I'm just going to enjoy my new Rev 2 and not let the LCD 3 release bother me anymore. 

yeah bro, time to unsubscribe, maybe i will resubscribe when 2 grand is burning a hole in my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back