New Audeze LCD3
Nov 13, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #10,906 of 11,521
For the record people who want to use the objective 2 amp with the lcd3f's you need to use high gain all the time, low gain isn't strong enough, also with the LCD3f you loose a lot of details and the bass isn't as tight as a quality desktop amp. I didn't really have that problem when I was using them with my HD650 as they resolve much less anyway. My point is objective 2 + lcd3f, not a good match
Completely disagree.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #10,907 of 11,521
Working on a couple of papers, so some Grant Green cued up. So, so sweet and rich on the 3f, almost sinfully good.

Just incredible body and tone on guitar, Sax, piano and xylophone.

Why did I fight the Audeze bug so long, sooo much goodness missed listening to treble happy cans:flushed:!

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #10,908 of 11,521
Okay, one LCD-3 Thread down, one to go!

Absolutely loving the 3f, burning in quite nicely. That bit of glare at 6kHz is gone, bass has even greater impact, and the soundstage is opening up. Excellent balancing act to my HD800.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #10,910 of 11,521
Nice combo what amp are you using now?

Hey, you were my inspiration for the combo :wink:, I am using the Tarus Mk.2 for my desktop system. Plus I have an LC incoming for my bedside rig.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #10,911 of 11,521
Hey, you were my inspiration for the combo
wink.gif
, I am using the Tarus Mk.2 for my desktop system. Plus I have an LC incoming for my bedside rig.

LC is great with the LCD-3!!! Might give your Taurus a run for its money. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #10,912 of 11,521
LC is great with the LCD-3!!! Might give your Taurus a run for its money. :wink_face:  

If that's the case I may think about trading the Taurus for a good tube amp.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #10,913 of 11,521
If that's the case I may think about trading the Taurus for a good tube amp.

I love the Headamp GS-X mK2 for both HP's a tough pairing for an amp to get right

Dan (Mr. Speakers) Yggy>WA5 (fully pimped out with Sophia Princess $1000+ tubes), was the best amp I've ever heard with the HD800, jaw dropping, but only so so with the LCD-3

From my stand point the LCD-3 is better with solid state and the HD800 is better with tubes so a tough combo to get right

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #10,914 of 11,521
I'm curious to hear what folks are using as their EQ settings.  

I felt the headphones were a bit bass (<80hz) anemic and Tyll's graphs confirm.  I like a little extra myself, so I bumped it up by about 7dB at 60hz (Q-width 1.0) and also upped around 5khz by about 4dB (Q-width 3.0).  Everything is lowered with a -9dB gain so we don't clip.

I know EQ can be a dirty word around these parts, so if you're going to tell me I'm wasting my time EQing, don't bother.  In my opinion, most people are buying amps and DACs to do their EQing for them because they like the signature.  That's fine.  This is how I do it while saving money.  I'm just hoping to have a discussion around what settings people are using that they feel gives optimal sound, exemplifies the signature they're looking for, or mirrors other favorite headphones for some music genres.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #10,915 of 11,521
I'm curious to hear what folks are using as their EQ settings.  

I felt the headphones were a bit bass (<80hz) anemic and Tyll's graphs confirm.  I like a little extra myself, so I bumped it up by about 7dB at 60hz (Q-width 1.0) and also upped around 5khz by about 4dB (Q-width 3.0).  Everything is lowered with a -9dB gain so we don't clip.

I know EQ can be a dirty word around these parts, so if you're going to tell me I'm wasting my time EQing, don't bother.  In my opinion, most people are buying amps and DACs to do their EQing for them because they like the signature.  That's fine.  This is how I do it while saving money.  I'm just hoping to have a discussion around what settings people are using that they feel gives optimal sound, exemplifies the signature they're looking for, or mirrors other favorite headphones for some music genres.  

I just tried this EQ setting and it is a big improvement. I would like to hear other recommendations as well for alternative settings.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #10,916 of 11,521

It's not that I'm anti-EQ; it's just that my system doesn't have an EQ in the chain. My philosophy is straight-line is best with the least amount of components and processing between me and the source. Is this better than EQ, who knows. But it means I am stuck with the sound signature of my headphones for better or worse. Fortunately the LCD3 sounds great with no EQ.

However there is something about running the LCD3 from a computer, media player, or other file-based source that seems to suck out the bass and the ambience (IMHO). In this case, applying the EQ settings you mentioned seems to restore that portion of the music quality that is lost by playing the music through a processor (IMHO).

I am have told many times I am full of it, and processor-based sources sound better than a dedicated CD player, but not in my experience.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #10,917 of 11,521
I tried a variance of the above recommended settings.

Here it is:

60 Hertz at 5.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0
3500 Hertz at 3.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0
6000 Hertz at 3.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0

I like this better..

I found the 7.0 gain on the bass at 60 hertz a bit bass heavy and I also wanted to raise the treble where there are dips.

I never knew the bass was a problem with the LCD3 but now that I raised it I see how much it was needed.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #10,918 of 11,521
I tried a variance of the above recommended settings.

Here it is:

60 Hertz at 5.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0
3500 Hertz at 3.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0
6000 Hertz at 3.0 dcb gain at Q 1.0

I like this better..

I found the 7.0 gain on the bass at 60 hertz a bit bass heavy and I also wanted to raise the treble where there are dips.

I never knew the bass was a problem with the LCD3 but now that I raised it I see how much it was needed.

Wouldn't say it's a problem, as the amount of bass desired is so different person to person. Cheers

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #10,919 of 11,521
I just ordered the LCD3f and looking for an amp/dac upgrade. Currently using LCD2f with Burson Conductor (sabre).

After reading thousands of pages what to get I was almost set on Woo WA22 but that route gets pricy very fast (tube rolling and a separate DAC). Also not sure what dac to get. Now I'm torn between Audio Gd master 11 amp/dac combo and the Woo. Only thing I don't like about the master 11 is that it's huge for my desktop and I would prefer a tube amp.

Suggestions what to do? I can't listen to either so going in blind. I'm looking for an euphonic, musical and liquid sound. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #10,920 of 11,521
  I just ordered the LCD3f and looking for an amp/dac upgrade. Currently using LCD2f with Burson Conductor (sabre).

After reading thousands of pages what to get I was almost set on Woo WA22 but that route gets pricy very fast (tube rolling and a separate DAC). Also not sure what dac to get. Now I'm torn between Audio Gd master 11 amp/dac combo and the Woo. Only thing I don't like about the master 11 is that it's huge for my desktop and I would prefer a tube amp.

Suggestions what to do? I can't listen to either so going in blind. I'm looking for an euphonic, musical and liquid sound. 

"euphonic, musical and liquid sound" screams high-end tube amp. So you've already decided you need a Woo. Sorry to be the bearer of financially bad news, but it is what it is. :) For a DAC start off with something cheaper and save up for something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back