New Audeze LCD3
Feb 27, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #10,096 of 11,521
I just received a pair of LCD-3. They were supposedly pre-fazor but looking inside the earcups in bright light I can see horizontal gold lines. Does this mean they're fazor? 

EDIT: I also read you can feel the ridges through the foam with fazors and I can't so maybe not.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #10,097 of 11,521
  Oh wow.  Removing the foam is like adding a breath of fresh air to these headphones.  I put my grills back on, but removing the foam is a great welcome of lots of air.  It has the airy and open sound of my modded HE-6.  Awe shciit - watch out HE-6 - A new mod is in town..

Interesting... not sure if I'm hearing what I 'read', but it does sounds more 'open' and better seperations. Bass is still there for me not loss as another post mentioned.
I think Audeze know this but put the foam in for astetic purpose.
Actually I take all grill/cover off all my home speakers but never though about headphones.

thanks for the info.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #10,098 of 11,521
Hi there,

I bought my 3rd LCD-3, also the 2nd LCD-3f. I didn't notice sibilance on my first used 3f, I paired them with Oppo HA-1 and Hifiman EF-6. Then I sold HA-1 and LCD-3f, bought LCD-X and another pricier DAC, and on which I noticed some sibilances. Then I bought LCD-3c, also found subtle sibilances, less noticeable than X but existed. Finally I bought a pair of new LCD-3f. Still notice sibilances, more  than 3c but less than X.

I don't know the reason, I could only give some guesses. Is it because I changed the DAC? Or because the new LCD-3f are not fully burnt in yet? Or just different pairs of 3f have different problems?

To make it clearer, when I listened to "Chandelier" by Sia, I found the vocal was just unbearable. Also the song "Sing" by Ed Sheeran, sibinlances annoyed my since the first sentence. If anyone have those songs would you please test them for me?

And if anyone know the answer to my problem, I will appreciate it! 

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #10,099 of 11,521
Soon I'll become part of family: Ordered 2 weeks ago from a german reseller (distributor was waiting for latest shipment from Audeze); shipped yesterday so for sure they will come from latest batch...
rolleyes.gif

will couple with Violectric V281 + Teac UD-501 (temp DAC as I'm waiting for Exasound e22 coming next month)

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10,101 of 11,521
Sibilance tends to be around 8Khz in FR.  Your experiences tend to be pretty much line line with the treble response of the respective headphones.  

3c darkest - you will hear the sibilance the least
3x most neutral - will hear sibilance the most
3f close to neutral but still a bit dark - in between the two

I agree with Negura, I would look at the DAC.  You can also EQ down the treble a bit to make things darker on the tracks that really bother you.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #10,102 of 11,521
  Hi there,

I bought my 3rd LCD-3, also the 2nd LCD-3f. I didn't notice sibilance on my first used 3f, I paired them with Oppo HA-1 and Hifiman EF-6. Then I sold HA-1 and LCD-3f, bought LCD-X and another pricier DAC, and on which I noticed some sibilances. Then I bought LCD-3c, also found subtle sibilances, less noticeable than X but existed. Finally I bought a pair of new LCD-3f. Still notice sibilances, more  than 3c but less than X.

I don't know the reason, I could only give some guesses. Is it because I changed the DAC? Or because the new LCD-3f are not fully burnt in yet? Or just different pairs of 3f have different problems?

To make it clearer, when I listened to "Chandelier" by Sia, I found the vocal was just unbearable. Also the song "Sing" by Ed Sheeran, sibinlances annoyed my since the first sentence. If anyone have those songs would you please test them for me?

And if anyone know the answer to my problem, I will appreciate it! 

Cheers!

I had big issue with my new 3f when I first got it. Some songs was just hard to bare. After about 200+ hours of burn-in with proper burn-in CD (yes I kept a note!) the sounds improved. Not saying this is your case but it was mine for sure.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10,103 of 11,521
  Sibilance tends to be around 8Khz in FR.  Your experiences tend to be pretty much line line with the treble response of the respective headphones.  

3c darkest - you will hear the sibilance the least
3x most neutral - will hear sibilance the most
3f close to neutral but still a bit dark - in between the two

I agree with Negura, I would look at the DAC.  You can also EQ down the treble a bit to make things darker on the tracks that really bother you.

Thanks, that's what I learned, but what weird is, my first second hand LCD-3f had totally no sibilances. That's really confusing lol.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #10,105 of 11,521
An update on the foam/grills.. after a couple of days of listening with them off, I decided to put them back on. I think it is a touch on the bright side for me and the quality of the treble isn't as good. There are some advantage as I mentioned earlier but overall I think I enjoy the sound with the foam in more, also I don't want to have to worry about dust getting in.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #10,107 of 11,521
Yeah but considering they just had $250,000 of gear stolen they may be in short supply of them right now.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #10,109 of 11,521
Yeah check their website, happened yesterday so be on the lookout for deals that look too good to be true on Audeze gear and report them to the hardworking folks at Audeze if you seen such listings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back