New Audeze LCD3
Aug 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #9,466 of 11,521
Ya I sent an email and signed up for warranty registration also. Hopefully no problems will crop up with these phones.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #9,467 of 11,521
I'm not quite sure I want to get mine fazored. I went to the Capital Audiofest two weeks ago and heard several fazored ones and I couldn't say I'm much in a rush to fork over $300 to get it fazored with what I heard. I like the thump I get with mine quite well. I know Audeze has gone through several revisions of their LCD-3's in attempts to bring it closer to "neutral" status, thereby compromising bass quality. I remember hearing a 3 made pre 2013 and it had a bit more prominent bass to it than mine.

I spoke to Alex Rosson (founder) who was sitting at their booth and he told me that they stopped doing fazors on old LCD-3's and LCD-2's because of some issues they were having but if I wrote a long kindly worded e-mail, they would get that done for me. I asked him also about having the quality of the bass compromised with the fazors and if he would recommend it and he was hesitant to respond positively saying that the LCD-3's are outstanding as it is.

I understand, but since you said one of your drivers failed, the only option on the repair is a fazored driver.

I called when mine needed repair a few months ago and asked for an non fazored replacement.  Was told at the time, as have others here, that no old drivers are available and all repairs going forward will use the fazor.  My experience turned out well - hopefully you will like the result too.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #9,468 of 11,521
I understand, but since you said one of your drivers failed, the only option on the repair is a fazored driver.

I called when mine needed repair a few months ago and asked for an non fazored replacement.  Was told at the time, as have others here, that no old drivers are available and all repairs going forward will use the fazor.  My experience turned out well - hopefully you will like the result too.

Interesting. I guess Alex meant that if you wanted to merely upgrade the drivers without anything being wrong with it even if the warranty still exists, they're not going to do it anymore.

Did you have to pay $300 to get yours fixed with your warranty? If you did, that would suck and make the warranty now kind of pointless.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #9,470 of 11,521

I called when mine needed repair a few months ago and asked for an non fazored replacement. Was told at the time, as have others here, that no old drivers are available and all repairs going forward will use the fazor. My experience turned out well - hopefully you will like the result too.

Interesting. I guess Alex meant that if you wanted to merely upgrade the drivers without anything being wrong with it even if the warranty still exists, they're not going to do it anymore.

Did you have to pay $300 to get yours fixed with your warranty? If you did, that would suck and make the warranty now kind of pointless.

I think you're correct about the fazor upgrade being discontinued for working drivers. If I recall correctly, there was a post made here that they were no longer going to offer it due to low demand. As Bob Jones mentioned, the upgrade attached fazors to the existing driver. The drivers were not replaced.

No charge for my warranty repair other than the cost of sending the 3's to Audeze. Since the drivers were replaced, I assume (emphasis on assume) that I now have essentially the same setup as a new LCD3f. Audeze support was good to work with - if you want to confirm how they would handle your repair, give them a call Monday but I doubt much has changed as my repair was just a month ago.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #9,471 of 11,521
Anyone has experience of pairing an LCD-3f with Schiit Asgard 2? Is it transparent enough for the Audeze?
Thanks.

I paired it at my local hi-fi for less than 5 minutes. It was "meh". Didn't inspire any thoughts or comments, very much like listening to an iPod with earbuds for the very first time.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #9,472 of 11,521
Lcd-3 like listening to iPod earbuds? Yeah ok that seems plausible.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #9,473 of 11,521
He said "iPod with earbuds", not "LCD-3 sounded like iPod earbuds".
Which I understand as being nothing special ("meh"), or in other words, the Asgard 2 does not realize the full potential of the LCD-3.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #9,474 of 11,521
  He said "iPod with earbuds", not "LCD-3 sounded like iPod earbuds".
Which I understand as being nothing special ("meh"), or in other words, the Asgard 2 does not realize the full potential of the LCD-3.

You've got it in the right context :) I love my LCD2 and 3. They are the most worked headphones in my collection.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #9,475 of 11,521
I think you're correct about the fazor upgrade being discontinued for working drivers. If I recall correctly, there was a post made here that they were no longer going to offer it due to low demand. As Bob Jones mentioned, the upgrade attached fazors to the existing driver. The drivers were not replaced.

No charge for my warranty repair other than the cost of sending the 3's to Audeze. Since the drivers were replaced, I assume (emphasis on assume) that I now have essentially the same setup as a new LCD3f. Audeze support was good to work with - if you want to confirm how they would handle your repair, give them a call Monday but I doubt much has changed as my repair was just a month ago.

I have a feeling the only thing they did to yours was replace the drivers. If they had added the fazors, they would've charged $300 for it.

Here's an easy way to find out. Just sweep your finger inside the earcups to feel for raised vented grooves kind of like an AC vent. It should stick out. Those are the fazors. If there isn't any and were like before, then yours is the newest edition LCD-3 driver albeit without the fazors.

I plan to just get that.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #9,476 of 11,521
I have a feeling the only thing they did to yours was replace the drivers. If they had added the fazors, they would've charged $300 for it.

Here's an easy way to find out. Just sweep your finger inside the earcups to feel for raised vented grooves kind of like an AC vent. It should stick out. Those are the fazors. If there isn't any and were like before, then yours is the newest edition LCD-3 driver albeit without the fazors.

I plan to just get that.

I don't know why you are arguing with me.  You "have a feeling" - I have "the actual repaired headphones"

My repaired LCD3s have the fazors.  It's easy to see/feel them on the driver. 

You seem to want to skewer Audeze for some reason, but here's the bottom line:  There are no more LCD3C drivers available - Audeze no longer makes them or has them in stock, so it is not possible to have an original driver used for your repair.  If you have a bad LCD3C driver, both drivers will be replaced by new drivers with the fazor.  AT NO COST.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #9,477 of 11,521
I don't know why you are arguing with me.  You "have a feeling" - I have "the actual repaired headphones"

My repaired LCD3s have the fazors.  It's easy to see/feel them on the driver. 

You seem to want to skewer Audeze for some reason, but here's the bottom line:  There are no more LCD3C drivers available - Audeze no longer makes them or has them in stock, so it is not possible to have an original driver used for your repair.  If you have a bad LCD3C driver, both drivers will be replaced by new drivers with the fazor.  AT NO COST.

Audeze is a great company and I'm in no way trying to skewer them. Just trying to understand the logistics of their warranty repair with the newest fazors which I thought was a separate additional component they added along with the drivers. I didn't realize that they provide you both for free with the warranty. That's good to know and thanks for sharing that info.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #9,478 of 11,521
Audeze is a great company and I'm in no way trying to skewer them. Just trying to understand the logistics of their warranty repair with the newest fazors which I thought was a separate additional component they added along with the drivers. I didn't realize that they provide you both for free with the warranty. That's good to know and thanks for sharing that info.

beerchug.gif

Understood - I was a little stressed when mine needed repair and I realized the fazors were part of the deal.  Very happy with the results once I got them back.

Give Audeze a call though - they can run you through the current process and let you know if there are any options.  There weren't a few months ago, but who knows....

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9,479 of 11,521
I like LCD3 but didn't want to buy them of there huge reputation of driver failure.

Aural1 ..just wait eventually your drivers will fail and then you can get fazor for free, no worries :wink:

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #9,480 of 11,521
I'm at my 3rd Audeze headphone and no driver failures so far. Also, two of my friends had 5 pairs in total and no failures there as well.
I don't think the driver failure rate is that high at this moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back