New Audeze LCD3
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #9,452 of 11,521
The Abyss headphones always remind me of something like this

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #9,453 of 11,521
  That's was a joke guys.Did none of you uses a compact cases for LCD-3? :D

There isn't much more room to make a smaller case than the travelers case... and that works great for me!

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #9,455 of 11,521
  The Abyss headphones always remind me of something like this

Isn't that Hannibal Lecter's girlfriend? 

Do you hear the lambs Clarice? Do you hear them in high definition? Shall I throw you into the "abyss"? 

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #9,456 of 11,521
I own a recent LCD-X and last week I just received an LCD-3. I also own an LCD-2 from three years ago. I'm surprised by the relative lack of bass weight in the LCD-3 when I first listened to it with about 24 hours of burn on pink noise. It's now got about 100 hours and I will listen again. The LCD-X has nice bass, pretty much what I'm used to in my LCD-2.

What was your opinion of the LCD-3 compared to the X and 2 overall and in terms of bass after the burn in?

Was wondering because I have a 3 manufactured on Jan of 2013, with the left driver having just failed. I'm going to send it in and wanted to know if the current driver they replace it with will come more bass lighter than it is. I hope not. The bass, amongst others, is one of the main reasons for me this headphone is appreciated.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #9,457 of 11,521
What was your opinion of the LCD-3 compared to the X and 2 overall and in terms of bass after the burn in?

Was wondering because I have a 3 manufactured on Jan of 2013, with the left driver having just failed. I'm going to send it in and wanted to know if the current driver they replace it with will come more bass lighter than it is. I hope not. The bass, amongst others, is one of the main reasons for me this headphone is appreciated.

I haven't done a really close back-to-back comparison of bass qualities besides overall weight or emphasis. It's strongest in the X, less strong in my three-year-old 2, and least in the new 3. What I really need to do is compare other qualities such as tautness, pitch definition, slam, harmonics of bass instruments, etc.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #9,458 of 11,521

Never tried the HD800. I would like to audition someday but really have no plans to acquire any other headphones at this time. Very happy with the LCD-X as it's all I wanted in musical reproduction. Plus my wallet will be happier if I stay with what I have! 
biggrin.gif

Can you post your FR graph when you get a chance? I'm curious to see this vis-a-vis the XC (that I own). Many thanks.

I seem to have lost paperwork that came in the box with the phones so I have no idea what the serial number is. I got them from Justin at Headamp so maybe he would be able to provide the serial number at least. Wish they would just send the darn graph in the box like they used to do. Would be a lot simpler and less trouble...

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #9,459 of 11,521

I seem to have lost paperwork that came in the box with the phones so I have no idea what the serial number is. I got them from Justin at Headamp so maybe he would be able to provide the serial number at least. Wish they would just send the darn graph in the box like they used to do. Would be a lot simpler and less trouble...

The serial number is/should be written on the inside of one of the plastic pieces that hold the yokes (no idea what that piece is called)!

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #9,460 of 11,521
I own a recent LCD-X and last week I just received an LCD-3. I also own an LCD-2 from three years ago. I'm surprised by the relative lack of bass weight in the LCD-3 when I first listened to it with about 24 hours of burn on pink noise. It's now got about 100 hours and I will listen again. The LCD-X has nice bass, pretty much what I'm used to in my LCD-2.

I had a driver failure on the same generation 3 you have and the replacement drivers with the fazor have equivalent bass. Had the same concerns you do but very happy with the fazored 3's.

In this or the other LCD thread, I posted the FR graphs for both driver versions. If anything, the fazors had slightly more bass, though it may not be audibly significant.

The impression of less bass with the fazors may be the result of better balance with the treble making the bass seem less prominent. Wish I had been able to listen to both versions back to back to not be so reliant on audio memory, but I was pleasantly surprised by the new drivers. Hopefully you will find the same.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #9,461 of 11,521
I haven't done a really close back-to-back comparison of bass qualities besides overall weight or emphasis. It's strongest in the X, less strong in my three-year-old 2, and least in the new 3. What I really need to do is compare other qualities such as tautness, pitch definition, slam, harmonics of bass instruments, etc.

I'd be interested in reading that when you get around to it. I've heard the X before and I liked it but I imagine I could listen to the 3 much longer than I could listen to the X although X isn't that fatiguing compared to the HE-560 which I heard recently which I felt has a hot treble.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #9,462 of 11,521
I had a driver failure on the same generation 3 you have and the replacement drivers with the fazor have equivalent bass. Had the same concerns you do but very happy with the fazored 3's.

In this or the other LCD thread, I posted the FR graphs for both driver versions. If anything, the fazors had slightly more bass, though it may not be audibly significant.

The impression of less bass with the fazors may be the result of better balance with the treble making the bass seem less prominent. Wish I had been able to listen to both versions back to back to not be so reliant on audio memory, but I was pleasantly surprised by the new drivers. Hopefully you will find the same.

I'm not quite sure I want to get mine fazored. I went to the Capital Audiofest two weeks ago and heard several fazored ones and I couldn't say I'm much in a rush to fork over $300 to get it fazored with what I heard. I like the thump I get with mine quite well. I know Audeze has gone through several revisions of their LCD-3's in attempts to bring it closer to "neutral" status, thereby compromising bass quality. I remember hearing a 3 made pre 2013 and it had a bit more prominent bass to it than mine.

I spoke to Alex Rosson (founder) who was sitting at their booth and he told me that they stopped doing fazors on old LCD-3's and LCD-2's because of some issues they were having but if I wrote a long kindly worded e-mail, they would get that done for me. I asked him also about having the quality of the bass compromised with the fazors and if he would recommend it and he was hesitant to respond positively saying that the LCD-3's are outstanding as it is.

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #9,463 of 11,521
OK I went the Audeze website and cannot find any access to the FR graph. Can someone point that out? Thanks. Sure would be simpler if they would just send the graph in the box like they used to do. Both my LCD 2.2 and the 3 had the graphs included in the box...

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #9,464 of 11,521
  OK I went the Audeze website and cannot find any access to the FR graph. Can someone point that out? Thanks. Sure would be simpler if they would just send the graph in the box like they used to do. Both my LCD 2.2 and the 3 had the graphs included in the box...

I think you need to send the CS people your serial number and they send you an email with the graph. That's what I did for 3 HPs. Hope it helps.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #9,465 of 11,521
Anyone has experience of pairing an LCD-3f with Schiit Asgard 2? Is it transparent enough for the Audeze?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back