New Audeze LCD3
May 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #9,137 of 11,521
The bass on my LCD-3F is one of the main reasons I bought them. It is fast, clear, tight and goes lower than I've ever heard in any headphones. But only there if there is deep bass in the recording. I've owned all the Audeze HPs except the LCD-XC, and IMO, the LCD-3F has by far the best bass of the whole Audeze line.

Exactly, they have amazing bass. I can see on the IF graph they fall off but that is not what I hear.
Sometimes when I listen, I am expecting my walls to be shaking like a sub
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #9,138 of 11,521
Exactly, they have amazing bass. I can see on the IF graph they fall off but that is not what I hear.
Sometimes when I listen, I am expecting my walls to be shaking like a sub
biggrin.gif

Tyll only measured one LCD-3F. Not yours or mine :wink:
It left me wondering how representative his sample was.

He did a great service providing us all the info.

Completely agree with you about the 3F extending like a subwoofer (when on the recording). The LCD-X has more attack, but that is around 80hz. The 3F is more balanced and goes DEEP and CLEAN..

May 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #9,139 of 11,521
I agree with Bob Jones, the bass on the LCD-3F is the best I've heard yet. Compared to my LCD-2.2 it is a lot cleaner and easier to distinguish individual notes, though still just as impactful and fluid as before. I haven't heard the LCD-3C so I can't compare those 2, but I certainly do not feel the LCD-3F is lacking in bass, really all of Audeze's headphones are still about as good as it gets when it comes to bass, but I have never heard bass produced better than with the LCD-3F.

May 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #9,140 of 11,521
I agree with Bob Jones, the bass on the LCD-3F is the best I've heard yet. Compared to my LCD-2.2 it is a lot cleaner and easier to distinguish individual notes, though still just as impactful and fluid as before. I haven't heard the LCD-3C so I can't compare those 2, but I certainly do not feel the LCD-3F is lacking in bass, really all of Audeze's headphones are still about as good as it gets when it comes to bass, but I have never heard bass produced better than with the LCD-3F.

Recalling Tyll's review comments, newest LCD's have less bass (correct me if I misinterpreted) than older LCD-3's (classics?). is this a bass quality expression where less is better?

May 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #9,141 of 11,521
Yeah, I read that he said the bass was less impactful, but I actually feel that it's simply cleaner sounding, so maybe less of the liquid smooth bass sound from the classic version but I personally prefer it over the LCD-2.2's bass which had much less clarity than my new LCD-3F.

May 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #9,142 of 11,521
Yeah, I read that he said the bass was less impactful, but I actually feel that it's simply cleaner sounding, so maybe less of the liquid smooth bass sound from the classic version but I personally prefer it over the LCD-2.2's bass which had much less clarity than my new LCD-3F.

Thanks goldendarko. Owned LCD-2.2 and currently LCD-3C owner, purchased just before LCD-3F offering. Audition LCD-F (well travel ones thru Demo Program), they were nice. Will stay up in the bleachers and watch all of this for a while!

May 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #9,143 of 11,521
I sent my LCD-3C in for a driver replacement in march,at the time I was not aware they were using fazers with the new production LC3-3.Today I opened up one of my drivers to see if they put the fazers in while doing the warranty work and to me it looks like they did?Can anyone confirm??

May 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #9,145 of 11,521
I picked up the LCD-3's used and only had them for a few hours before the driver failed,so I wasn't totally familiar with how they felt on the inside before.To me the inside felt almost the same,so this was the only way I could find out for sure.As it turned out the driver failure was a great piece of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #9,146 of 11,521
+1

LCD-3F bass rocks the house. 

May 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #9,147 of 11,521
Here's my LCD-3F response chart. 

And here are three random LCD-3C plots (all with SN's of 261XXXX)

So you can see here again a bit of a drop off in the 40Hz down to 20Hz zone in the LCD-3F, but also the more linear 2k Hz to 5k Hz region of the LCD-3F's. 

My experiences is that I can hear the additional clarity in the 2-5k range but don't get any less wonder out of the bass on the LCD-3F's. In fact I think that regardless of what the charts show that the LCD-3F's have better base than the LCD-3C's (and very similar to the LCD-X).

As a disclaimer I have personally auditioned all three of these cans on my Burson Conductor using the same Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 cables.

Happy listening! 

May 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #9,148 of 11,521
As a disclaimer I have personally auditioned all three of these cans on my Burson Conductor using the same Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 cables.  

How do you find the Silver Dragon cable, make any difference compared to the stock cable?
I need another few feet or so of length. I tried using an extension cable I had lying around and it really worsened the sound.
Looking at the Silver Dragon or the Silver Widow (but I don't see this on the TC site anymore).

May 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #9,149 of 11,521

How do you find the Silver Dragon cable, make any difference compared to the stock cable?

I like the SD v3 with the LCD-3's, as it adds a some extra clarity. However, I would say that the difference between the stock cable and the SD v3 for the LCD's was not nearly as great as it was for my HD650's. 

I was lucky enough to find someone selling a 15 ft SD v3 and I sent it to Drew and had him split it into two 7.5ft lengths, one terminated for the 650's and one for the LCD's. It was clear that I planned on someday getting a pair of Audeze's! (and sadly my 650's are now sitting in their box, like a back-up quarterback on the bench, awaiting a time when I might have to send in my Audeze's for service or something).

The difference with the cable on the HD650's was very noticeable, taking them to a whole new level. This likely speaks to the effort Senn puts (or doesn't put) into their stock as well as Drew's mastery with cabling as he matched the SD v3 to the "darker" 650's (and that's why he recommends the copper Black Dragons for the Senn HD800's). 

Once I got my LCD-3F's, I was very happy with the stock cable, but I think that Audeze pays more attention to details like that. I waited for the cans to burn in and then swapped out the stock cable for the SD v3. Again there was a gain, but it was not nearly as radical as it was with the HD650's. It was better (I've kept the SD v3's in my system) but the law of diminishing returns starts to play out. Actually, now that I think about it, some of the extra resolution and smoothing out of the response curve that the SD v3's performed well on the 650's and what I heard on the LCD-3C's could actually have been buffered to some degree by the changes with the addition of the Fazor to the LCD-3's. 

If you need a new cable I'd go ahead and go for one of Drew's SD v3's, but if you don't I might be tempted to put the same money towards an upgraded source (depending on where you are on the food-chain). 

Hope this helps! 

May 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #9,150 of 11,521
I need another few feet or so of length. I tried using an extension cable I had lying around and it really worsened the sound.
Looking at the Silver Dragon or the Silver Widow (but I don't see this on the TC site anymore).

Try Ted Allen of Ted's Headfood Lounge. Excellent silver cables at very low prices, comparably speaking.
Quick delivery too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back