New Audeze LCD3
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #8,746 of 11,521
^ sounds like fazor has not been added to the LCD3 (or 2 for that matter), but tweaks may have happened that make the 3 slightly airier, either by accident (materials variations) or by design. Perhaps some members of Audeze customer support are less informed than others?

However it seems they are looking at adding fazor to a forthcoming LCD3 - seems plausible! - which, should it succeed, might well be called the sometime rumored 'LCD4' or some other model name...

If it's noticeably better and/or different and they call it LCD-4, I'll be totally fine with that. 
biggrin.gif

I would love for either Sankar or Alex to explicitly confirm if any changes have been happening and verify the posts from earlier by their customer service.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8,747 of 11,521

LOL you missed our point. Sure the new LCD-3 might be better sounding for me, but for others it might be the opposite.

My point is: I'd rather have Audeze make significant tweaks over time and call them different models, rather than making frequent and sneaky changes to the same model. If we both can't see eye to eye on this point, then all further conversations would be useless. If I pay for a LCD-3, I want to get a LCD-3 that's been constant in sound over time and not get a LCD-X sounding LCD-3 or whatever else it is. For example, I can buy a used Audioengine A5 and not have to worry about any changes that might have taken place to it. This peace of mind is crucial to me. I want to know that I am getting the definite version. After years of research and listening to customers, Audioengine came out with A5+. All the A5 and A5+ sound consistent. I don't see constant upgrades with them.

Also, comparing cars to headphones is very different. With cars, YOU KNOW well in advance that there are going to be revisions each year. This is not the case in audio and it shouldn't be either. If an audio manufacturer follows the same philosophy as a car manufacturer, count me OUT.

Then think about it this way. Audeze (and every other business) is going to make decisions in order to please and/or capture as large of a market segment as they can. And with each of those decisions, there probably will be fallout (or disgruntled consumers, if you will). If you fall into that camp, so be it. Good luck with other brands!

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8,748 of 11,521
I'd be fine with it too - and quickly grab me my LCD3 :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #8,749 of 11,521
  Then think about it this way. Audeze (and every other business) is going to make decisions in order to please and/or capture as large of a market segment as they can. And with each of those decisions, there probably will be fallout (or disgruntled consumers, if you will). If you fall into that camp, so be it. Good luck with other brands!

Of course, every manufacturer tries to do that and there is nothing wrong with that. For example, introducing LCD-X as a reference headphone with easier sensitivity to attract a bigger audience due to it's easier amping requirements. There is nothing wrong here with that and I'm totally fine with that. However, making that many frequent changes to the SAME model without proper acknowledgement is completely different.

I am not sure if you are understanding the distinction I'm trying to make...

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #8,750 of 11,521

Of course, every manufacturer tries to do that and there is nothing wrong with that. For example, introducing LCD-X as a reference headphone with easier sensitivity to attract a bigger audience due to it's easier amping requirements. There is nothing wrong here with that and I'm totally fine with that. However, making that many frequent changes to the SAME model without proper acknowledgement is completely different.

I am not sure if you are understanding the distinction I'm trying to make...

You're blowing that distinction out of proportion. Their "proper acknowledgment" was the release of the LCD-X, as you stated. Obviously, they felt that the LCD3 remained true enough to its sound signature (whether or not it has the Fazor technology now) that it didn't warrant an announcement of an LCD4 or LCD3.1. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #8,751 of 11,521
Also, this doesn't affect me directly as I don't own an Audeze currently. However, I'd still like other potential buyers reading this to be careful about how this has been developing and not feel betrayed in the future. This is more for them.

I'm personally fine with my audio gear. For example, my monitors are from Mackie and Genelec who take their time coming up with new models. They have models that are excellent and have been consistent for many years. This is one of the main reasons why brands like these are loved.

I hate the politically correct opinions here on head-fi sometimes. "Well if you don't like them, you can just avoid them and have fun with other brands." How about we instead make the manufacturers change. Audeze has gotten popular only because of head-fi. We do have the power to influence them. However, they have also lost many people due to their constant revisions.

Whatever, I'm more than happy with my speakers which I spend 90% of my time on. Just felt like raising a point for other potential buyers. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #8,752 of 11,521
  You're blowing that distinction out of proportion. Their "proper acknowledgment" was the release of the LCD-X, as you stated. Obviously, they felt that the LCD3 remained true enough to its sound signature (whether or not it has the Fazor technology now) that it didn't warrant an announcement of an LCD4 or LCD3.1. 

Sure, for them the difference might not be enough. Although, based on what I've been hearing from other people, the difference in sound quality has clearly been enough.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #8,753 of 11,521
My purpose isn't to convince others, but rather simply address potential issues. If these are minor changes and you're not too worried about it, great go for it. If you don't like what they are doing with it, don't buy it.

I'm not a salesman, just a guy who's trying to be helpful to other potential buyers. A lot of people have helped me over the years and I really appreciated those that brought up even the most trivial things to consider by pushing for transparency.

If you're in the group that thinks I'm making a big deal out of this and wasting time and derailing this thread, I apologize. However, I'm certain that there are others here and others that will come along who might share the same thinking and principles as me. This is for them.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #8,754 of 11,521
^ sounds like fazor has not been added to the LCD3 (or 2 for that matter), but tweaks may have happened that make the 3 slightly airier, either by accident (materials variations) or by design. Perhaps some members of Audeze customer support are less informed than others?

However it seems they are looking at adding fazor to a forthcoming LCD3 - seems plausible! - which, should it succeed, might well be called the sometime rumored 'LCD4' or some other model name...

Edit: this was to follow mowglycdb's post

AiDee they told me they couldn't implement the fazor on my LCD-3 ( they didn't specify LCD-3 as "my" LCD-3)  but the next LCD-3 in developement are indeed using the fazor technology. WHICH they should clearly update the product information in their website.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #8,755 of 11,521
Cheers mowglycdb that seems to clear the confusion :beerchug:

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #8,756 of 11,521
Hello everyone,

First we want to say to Icenine2, "Fazor set to stun?" Classic! 
And... why yes it is!

Regarding LCD-3s now with Fazor technology, Audeze's core mission has always been improving the headphone listening experience by incorporating changes based on extensive research, innovative technology and advanced design. We're all very passionate  about it. 

In our view, the LCD-3 has always had a silky, refined sound, a wide, enveloping out-of-the-head soundstage delivering intimate club sound or concert-level dynamics. The bass is powerful, controlled and consistent, the midrange engagingly attractive, with a golden, burnished and beautifully balanced treble region.  

Acting as a form of wave guide, the newly-installed Fazor elements in each transducer retains and enhances all the best qualities of the LCD-3. The headphone gains greater balance and frequency extension top and bottom, greater power in the already superb bass, just that bit more speed and texture in the midrange -- where we all know the music lives --  leaving the yet more extended and still burnished treble region intact. There's also a noticeable increase in openness and clarity that complements the LCD-3's existing high resolution 3-D holographic imaging.

The experience is magnetic! Unlike the LCD-X and LCD-XC, the LCD-3 must be driven by an external headphone amp or integrated amplifier.

You've got questions, we've got answers. Head-Fi was a huge part of Audeze's initial success and we want to communicate more with you!

Thanks,
Team Audeze

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #8,757 of 11,521

Regarding LCD-3s now with Fazor technology, Audeze's core mission has always been improving the headphone listening experience by incorporating changes based on extensive research, innovative technology and advanced design. We're all very passionate  about it. 

Heya, is it possible to have an existing pair of LCD-3s sent back to be upgraded with Fazor?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #8,758 of 11,521

Heya, is it possible to have an existing pair of LCD-3s sent back to be upgraded with Fazor?

I'll find out for you... do you have your s/n available? Perhaps you can send that in a private message. 

But please understand, it's not a night-and-day difference, it's an improvement that in no way negates the already stellar performance of the existing LCD-3. Audeze is a company that prefers to make meaningful production changes over time rather than drive our customers into audiophile nervosa with Mk 2s, Mk 3s, Mk3.5s v8, and on and on, a treadmill of upgrades so to speak. Our headphones are always as good as we can make them and if we find a technology that works well we apply it to all the LCD Collection. The XC was the first design with Fazor elements, and it worked so well we put that transducer into the open LCD-X! Now we're applying Fazor technology to earlier designs.. a path of continuous improvement.  

Audeze

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #8,759 of 11,521

I'll find out for you... do you have your s/n available? Perhaps you can send that in a private message. 

But please understand, it's not a night-and-day difference, it's an improvement that in no way negates the already stellar performance of the existing LCD-3. Audeze is a company that prefers to make meaningful production changes over time rather than drive our customers into audiophile nervosa with Mk 2s, Mk 3s, Mk3.5s v8, and on and on, a treadmill of upgrades so to speak. Our headphones are always as good as we can make them and if we find a technology that works well we apply it to all the LCD Collection. The XC was the first design with Fazor elements, and it worked so well we put that transducer into the open LCD-X! Now we're applying Fazor technology to earlier designs.. a path of continuous improvement.  

Audeze

Any time frame on a higher end or replacement of the 3's?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #8,760 of 11,521
Thanks for the clarification. Do LCD3s with fazor elements have a different serial number prefix? TIA.

Hello everyone,

Regarding LCD-3s now with Fazor technology ...

Thanks,
Team Audeze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back