New Audeze LCD3
Apr 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #8,733 of 11,521
Yeap, kind of
biggrin.gif

I don't like their practices and I don't think it's fair for their customers. Currently I don't think I want to support them anymore even if I really like their products.

Had LCD-2 and LCD-3 and sold them. Won't be getting Audezes for quite a while. Not even bothering with them until they can bring down the weight, regardless of the weight. Even though I don't have Audeze's anymore and don't have to deal with them, the last pages still infuriate me. The number of revisions and sudden changes is too high. I much rather prefer the approach of Audioengine. They take their time in creating the products and don't release a product until it's fully ready. You don't see Audioengine making a revision each year. Virtually no report of a model changing sound throughout it's release. I much prefer the consistency.

I understand the concept of pushing your product to the best, but you also have to take care of your previous customers. It's not acceptable for previous customers to be constantly having to put up better upgrades every few months. 

They are making significant changes to the sound of a model very frequently and not offering upgrades on top really makes me want to avoid them in the future. I'm glad I read this.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #8,734 of 11,521
The fastest way of verifying it would be the sensivity and ohms:

LCD-3 91dB     vs    LCD-X  96dB
LCD-3 45 Ohm vs    LCD-X 22Ohm

I got another confirmation from Tara right now so you might want to check again :D

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #8,735 of 11,521
Had LCD-2 and LCD-3 and sold them. Won't be getting Audezes for quite a while. Not even bothering with them until they can bring down the weight, regardless of the weight. Even though I don't have Audeze's anymore and don't have to deal with them, the last pages still infuriate me. The number of revisions and sudden changes is too high. I much rather prefer the approach of Audioengine. They take their time in creating the products and don't release a product until it's fully ready. You don't see Audioengine making a revision each year. Virtually no report of a model changing sound throughout it's release. I much prefer the consistency.

I understand the concept of pushing your product to the best, but you also have to take care of your previous customers. It's not acceptable for previous customers to be constantly having to put up better upgrades every few months. 

They are making significant changes to the sound of a model very frequently and not offering upgrades on top really makes me want to avoid them in the future. I'm glad I read this.

Right on :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #8,736 of 11,521
This is America and they are a privately owned business doing business in a free market a for profit company…….I do not see how they violated our trust by wanting to make more money by expanding their offerings. Their CS is beyond reproach as far as I read. They provide what is described at the time you purchase it and if defective they fix it.

This is a emotional hobby and as such feelings take over a lot of the times. That's what's happening here.

You are exercising your right to spend your money elsewhere, right on!

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,737 of 11,521
  This is America and they are a privately owned business doing business in a free market a for profit company…….I do not see how they violated our trust by wanting to make more money by expanding their offerings. Their CS is beyond reproach as far as I read. They provide what is described at the time you purchase it and if defective they fix it.

This is a emotional hobby and as such feelings take over a lot of the times. That's what's happening here.

You are exercising your right to spend your money elsewhere, right on!

If by offerings you mean new models, like LCD-X, sure I'm fine with that. I don't think any LCD-3 will be mad about that, jealous perhaps, but not mad. Now making changes that frequently within the same model is a different case and should not be treated in the same manner. There is a distinction here and it should be recognized as such.

I agree that their customer service is very pleasant. Although that's not a substitute for what they are doing. I guess it comes down to your personal preferences and principles.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #8,738 of 11,521

If by offerings you mean new models, like LCD-X, sure I'm fine with that. I don't think any LCD-3 will be mad about that, jealous perhaps, but not mad. Now making changes that frequently within the same model is a different case and should not be treated in the same manner. There is a distinction here and it should be recognized as such.

I agree that their customer service is very pleasant. Although that's not a substitute for what they are doing. I guess it comes down to your personal preferences and principles.

Maybe I'm not informed. LCD3s there are two. Ser #s starting with 236 and 266. Are there more major changes happening?
My pair is from Dec 12 and 266. Keeping in mind they are part hand made and different components change slightly by batches, like same color paints or floor tiles, same manufacture same formula but slightly different in each run.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #8,739 of 11,521
  Maybe I'm not informed. LCD3s there are two. Ser #s starting with 236 and 266. Are there more major changes happening?
My pair is from Dec 12 and 266. Keeping in mind they are part hand made and different components change slightly by batches, like same color paints or floor tiles, same manufacture same formula but slightly different in each run.

Over the past few months, I've been constantly hearing that the new Audezes are more airy sounding or less dark sound. My Audeze was from 2011, so I would've definitely liked my Audeze to be more airy and less dark sounding. The new Fazor upgrade and the sonic changes would constitute a major change for me personally. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #8,740 of 11,521

You guys still aren't getting the point...the "old" LCD3 is as ready as it's ever going to be. To many, the sound is perfect. They are changing the sound, no question about that. Is it an upgrade, per se? No, not necessarily. I don't know why you and citraian continue to act like Audeze is leaving their customers in the dust, as if youre missing out on something. Why should a sidegrade change how you feel about your current set-up? Do I need to sell my 2013 Accord just because the 2014 version has leather on the inside of the cup holder? What if I don't like the feel or temperature of leather?

Newer doesn't always mean better; this statement probably applies to headphones more than any other market. Do what you will with your money, but just know that what Audeze is doing is not unique only to them, nor should it be.

EDIT: Just saw your post regarding how you would indeed have liked your phones to be more airy. If you're that intent on it, there's always the X 
wink.gif
 Considering that it's cheaper than the 3 (and since you consider the Fazor technolody to be superior) you'd be losing a minimal amount if you had decided to sell one and get the other. And to be fair, it was released quite some time after the 3. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #8,744 of 11,521

You guys still aren't getting the point...the "old" LCD3 is as ready as it's ever going to be. To many, the sound is perfect. They are changing the sound, no question about that. Is it an upgrade, per se? No, not necessarily. I don't know why you and citraian continue to act like Audeze is leaving their customers in the dust, as if youre missing out on something. Why should a sidegrade change how you feel about your current set-up? Do I need to sell my 2013 Accord just because the 2014 version has leather on the inside of the cup holder? What if I don't like the feel or temperature of leather?

Newer doesn't always mean better; this statement probably applies to headphones more than any other market. Do what you will with your money, but just know that what Audeze is doing is not unique only to them, nor should it be.

EDIT: Just saw your post regarding how you would indeed have liked your phones to be more airy. If you're that intent on it, there's always the X 
wink.gif
 Considering that it's cheaper than the 3 (and since you consider the Fazor technolody to be superior) you'd be losing a minimal amount if you had decided to sell one and get the other. And to be fair, it was released quite some time after the 3. 

LOL you missed our point. Sure the new LCD-3 might be better sounding for me, but for others it might be the opposite.

My point is: I'd rather have Audeze make significant tweaks over time and call them different models, rather than making frequent and sneaky changes to the same model. If we both can't see eye to eye on this point, then all further conversations would be useless. If I pay for a LCD-3, I want to get a LCD-3 that's been constant in sound over time and not get a LCD-X sounding LCD-3 or whatever else it is. For example, I can buy a used Audioengine A5 and not have to worry about any changes that might have taken place to it. This peace of mind is crucial to me. I want to know that I am getting the definite version. After years of research and listening to customers, Audioengine came out with A5+. All the A5 and A5+ sound consistent. I don't see constant upgrades with them.

Also, comparing cars to headphones is very different. With cars, YOU KNOW well in advance that there are going to be revisions each year. This is not the case in audio and it shouldn't be either. If an audio manufacturer follows the same philosophy as a car manufacturer, count me OUT.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #8,745 of 11,521
^ sounds like fazor has not been added to the LCD3 (or 2 for that matter), but tweaks may have happened that make the 3 slightly airier, either by accident (materials variations) or by design. Perhaps some members of Audeze customer support are less informed than others?

However it seems they are looking at adding fazor to a forthcoming LCD3 - seems plausible! - which, should it succeed, might well be called the sometime rumored 'LCD4' or some other model name...

Edit: this was to follow mowglycdb's post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back