New Audeze LCD3
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,456 of 11,521

Quote:
I really doubt that they would say "all new LOTUS diaphragm" when describing the LCD-3 if it is the same one that is in the LCD-2, that would be really bad manners on their part 
mad.gif

I agree and people suggesting that are basically saying that the guys there are liars.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,458 of 11,521

Quote:
I remember reading that the thickness of the LCD-3's diaphragm is 1/6th that of the LCD-2 rev. 2.

I can’t recall this from Audeze.

Quote:
I really doubt that they would say "all new LOTUS diaphragm" when describing the LCD-3 if it is the same one that is in the LCD-2, that would be really bad manners on their part 
mad.gif

Totally agree.

Quote:
I agree and people suggesting that are basically saying that the guys there are liars.

mmm.... it’s been know to happen in business.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,459 of 11,521

Quote:
Hey, would anyone who has both the LCD-3s and the HD800 care to comment on the respective differences with regard to soundstage and instrument placement? This was one of the nitpicks I had with both the LCD-2 rev1 and rev 2. Thanks

I'll let purrin expound on this but it's not even close IMO.  I still feel the LCD3 is closer to the LCD2 in that regard than anywhere near HD800 territory.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,460 of 11,521

Quote:
What is a "LOTUS diaphragm"? Is it Mylar or some other materials?

Sankar did mention the new driver to be 1/6th the mass of the previous drivers.  If anyone can get information to the contrary I'll stand corrected.

Sankar also said it is not Mylar.  He was quite explicit about that and refused to offer any further specifics.  I spent some time raking the poor fellow over the coals at the last meet.  
redface.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,461 of 11,521
FYI...I just posted my thoughts on the differences between the LCD-2 Rev.2s and LCD-3s.

Two solid evenings going back and forth on these headphones....just my two cents.
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,462 of 11,521

Quote:
I strongly disagree with this. For me, the HE-6 soundstage is miles beyond the LCD2.2 and bested only by the T1 (the HD800 going too far and presenting what I found to be an artificially exaggerated soundstage).

I've only had my LCD-3s on for literally minutes, so I can't report on them yet... but let's just say that if they don't have considerably better soundstage than the LCD2.2, they'll be going back to Las Vegas.

Nicely put about the HD800's sound stage.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,463 of 11,521

Quote:
Hey, would anyone who has both the LCD-3s and the HD800 care to comment on the respective differences with regard to soundstage and instrument placement? This was one of the nitpicks I had with both the LCD-2 rev1 and rev 2. Thanks

Now with the understanding that some folks feel the HD800 is unnaturally wide - if you want the HD800 soundstage and instrument placement, get an HD800. The soundstage thing is not really a priority for me, but I find what the LCD3 does acceptable in contrast to the r1 which I found rather unacceptable.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #1,464 of 11,521

Quote:
Sankar did mention the new driver to be 1/6th the mass of the previous drivers.  If anyone can get information to the contrary I'll stand corrected.

Sankar also said it is not Mylar.  He was quite explicit about that and refused to offer any further specifics.  I spent some time raking the poor fellow over the coals at the last meet.  
redface.gif

It would have to be a Polymide based film which can be made thinner than Mylar.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,465 of 11,521

Quote:
What is a "LOTUS diaphragm"? Is it Mylar or some other materials?

The way it's in all caps leads me to believe it is an acronym for the new diaphragm material. I would love to know what it stands for 
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,466 of 11,521

Quote:
FYI...I just posted my thoughts on the differences between the LCD-2 Rev.2s and LCD-3s.

Two solid evenings going back and forth on these headphones....just my two cents.
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Awesome. Looking forward to digesting the whole thing but right off the bat I love the Baldwin brothers analogy 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,468 of 11,521
On the 009... it's not that they are bass light, it's just that they need some serious amping (BHSE, T2, and maybe KGSS) to even be neutral. Also, someone else mentioned the harshness at higher volumes - this also has to do with proper amping. These effects are actually measurable in both the frequency and impulse response.

The LCD3 and 009 really take a completely different approach. The LCD3 has seriously shelved down treble in terms of tonal balance, more akin to the r1 than r2.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,469 of 11,521

Quote:
The way it's in all caps leads me to believe it is an acronym for the new diaphragm material. I would love to know what it stands for 
confused.gif

I could give you a metaphorical answer based on a Hindu dialectic but I think that might prove contentious.  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,470 of 11,521
So the rev.3 has the same driver, same magnet structure, but a new diaphragm?  I was under the impression that it had a whole new driver, but that's not actually what they claim and the FR plots are so similar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back