New Audeze LCD3
Aug 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #10,636 of 11,521
- I believe only the very early LCD3 models suffered from the veil issue and it has long since been fixed. I would bet very few "veiled" pairs are still around, so that should be a non-issue.

- I also believe that Audeze is no longer offering the Fazor upgrade because there was a lack of interest in the service. Though I'd also bet if you called/emailed them they might work with you.

Could be wrong on both of those, but that was the status of these issues last I recall.

I swore someone saying that Audeze still offers the fazor upgrade. It was like $250 for LCD2 and $350 for the LCD3.

Unless something changed recently, they discontinued the fazor upgrades some time ago. Might want to give Audeze a call to find out what the status is.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #10,637 of 11,521
i have both the LCD-3F and now a pair of HD800's and i must say they are both wonderful but the the 800's more than hold their own....the sense of space and air with the 800's is magical,the LCD-3F's are marginally easier to drive but not by enough to matter and yes they do have a bit more thump so it depends what mood i am in when I decide which to choose

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #10,638 of 11,521
  i have both the LCD-3F and now a pair of HD800's and i must say they are both wonderful but the the 800's more than hold their own....the sense of space and air with the 800's is magical,the LCD-3F's are marginally easier to drive but not by enough to matter and yes they do have a bit more thump so it depends what mood i am in when I decide which to choose

Same here.  I listen mainly to the LCD3f and have the HD800 as backup.  I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about the HD800 if I didn't use an equalizer to tame the shrill peaks in treble response curve.  (IMHO new cables for both are a necessity,)

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #10,639 of 11,521
I swore someone saying that Audeze still offers the fazor upgrade. It was like $250 for LCD2 and $350 for the LCD3.

I also heard they no longer do the "upgrade", that is, add fazors to the LCD-3C. However, for $375 you can always buy new drivers which will get you the fazors (and a new 3-year warranty). But you will lose the 50-ohm "C" drivers for the 110-ohm "F" drivers. You will lose a little bass slam but gain a really sweet high end.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #10,640 of 11,521

I also heard they no longer do the "upgrade", that is, add fazors to the LCD-3C. However, for $375 you can always buy new drivers which will get you the fazors (and a new 3-year warranty). But you will lose the 50-ohm "C" drivers for the 110-ohm "F" drivers. You will lose a little bass slam but gain a really sweet high end.

Or if you wait until a driver fails then they'll replace both drivers with the new ones! 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #10,641 of 11,521

Same here.  I listen mainly to the LCD3f and have the HD800 as backup.  I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about the HD800 if I didn't use an equalizer to tame the shrill peaks in treble response curve.  (IMHO new cables for both are a necessity,)

Have you tried the mod to tame the treble spike?

DIY Modification for the Sennheiser HD 800: "The Anaxilus ...

I'm considering getting a pair of HD800's sometime in the future...

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #10,642 of 11,521
I've read about that, but never tried it.  I can highly recommend equalization for numerous advantages including HD800 issues.  There is a good  EQ thread here.  In case there is any question, I think the LCD3f is a better headphone than the HD800. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #10,643 of 11,521
I've read about that, but never tried it.  I can highly recommend equalization for numerous advantages including HD800 issues.  There is a good  EQ thread [COLOR=0000FF]here[/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF].  [/COLOR]In case there is any question, I think the LCD3f is a better headphone than the HD800. 

+1 I whole heartedly agree. I tried to like the 800s, but I find them to be dry, analytical and a bit peakish!
I had the two side by side comparing. The Lcds are so much more musical to my ears.
I also had the Akg Q-701s on hand. I actually preferred their more laid back sound signature (in comparison) to the 800s. I will say the soundstage is huge on the 800s,but it ends there for me.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #10,644 of 11,521
I have both the 800 and the LCD-3F and i love them both.....I go back and forth constantly as to which one I enjoy more....i find in general when i listen to jazz i take out the 800 and when i listen to rock i listen to the Audeze ...both with my chord hugo

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #10,645 of 11,521

I think that deal has been long gone.
The only way I know they'll do an upgrade, is your drivers are faulty and you're out of warranty.
I know this because when I sent my LCD3c in for repairs (replacement of faulty drivers). 
I ask them what happens if it was out of warranty when I send in for repairs of faulty drivers.
Audeze said they will charge for the repairs base on what was repaired.
Also, older LCD3c will be replaced with LCD3f drivers as they no longer make the older drivers.
How much for the cost of replacement, they didn't mention and I didn't question them any further as I was so thrill with the repair and the free upgrade to fazor.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #10,646 of 11,521

I think that deal has been long gone.
The only way I know they'll do an upgrade, is your drivers are faulty and you're out of warranty.
I know this because when I sent my LCD3c in for repairs (replacement of faulty drivers). 
I ask them what happens if it was out of warranty when I send in for repairs of faulty drivers.
Audeze said they will charge for the repairs base on what was repaired.
Also, older LCD3c will be replaced with LCD3f drivers as they no longer make the older drivers.
How much for the cost of replacement, they didn't mention and I didn't question them any further as I was so thrill with the repair and the free upgrade to fazor.

I think if they fail in warranty, you also get fazored because they no longer even have non-fazor parts. That's what I hear anyways. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #10,647 of 11,521

I think if they fail in warranty, you also get fazored because they no longer even have non-fazor parts. That's what I hear anyways. 

Yeah that is correct also which was what they done to my LCD3.
Soon as I got them back from warranty, I notice immediately difference in clarity and the more refined bass.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #10,648 of 11,521
  I have both the 800 and the LCD-3F and i love them both.....I go back and forth constantly as to which one I enjoy more....i find in general when i listen to jazz i take out the 800 and when i listen to rock i listen to the Audeze ...both with my chord hugo

I have the same HP's and narrowed down to those two only.

Just upgraded from the Meier Corda Classic to the Headamp GS-X mk2, what a difference a change in amps makes for both HP's perfect symmetry 

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #10,649 of 11,521
I have the same HP's and narrowed down to those two only.

Just upgraded from the Meier Corda Classic to the Headamp GS-X mk2, what a difference a change in amps makes for both HP's perfect symmetry 

Same I've scaled down drastically after the HD800 and the LCD3. No more IEM, just mainly keeping high end full size cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back