New Audeze LCD3
May 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #5,791 of 11,521
Absolutely agree. We all hear differently so when you cross certain price boundaries, it really comes down to taste. What I do think we can agree on to a larger extent is that certain headphones (only looking at still in production models) hold close performance levels, such as IMO, the Hifiman HE-6, LCD-3 (rma'd), Stax 007 m2, Stax 009 and HD-800 forming the top tier of performance, followed by IMO again, a second tier consisting of the Hifiman HE-500, Beyerdynamic T1, Grado PS1000, Stax SR-507,Sony MDR-SA5000 and Sennheiser HD-650. These class divisions are still debatable (I'm sure some people would question the HD-650s inclusion in "tier 2") but it's probably easier to group headphones by boundaries rather than as "best" or "second best" as that would be more subjective.

What about LCD2?

May 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #5,792 of 11,521
Quote:
That you wrote this on page 386 is just pure gold :D  And if you had to google it, you aren't old :p

If he'd have written it on page 286, it would be platinum. I wonder if this thread will ever make it to page 8088?
biggrin.gif

se

May 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5,794 of 11,521
Ah the good old days, me my XT, dual 5 1/4" drives and socketed memory to bump it up to a whopping 512K or was it 768K.  Good times :p

May 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #5,795 of 11,521
Quote:
I think I'd take the LCD-3 and especially the rev.2 instead of the 009. The 009 is clearer and certainly a masterpiece in terms of build quality, but it's not as fantastic as people seem to believe. The midrange is a bit thin, just not the most natural. The bass is great and the treble is clear and open without sounding sharp and so on, but the midrange just isn't state of the art IMO. The SR-007 mk1,5 is the better headphone I would say. 

If you want that clear, open sound with great detail retrieval, buy an HD 800 instead, details are more prominent there and you save $4000. :) 

I found the LCD-3 slightly grainier in the treble than the rev.2 and thicker in the lower mids/upper bass. It should be said though that I don't know if the LCD-3 I heard was veiled, and I know my friend's rev.2 is a fine example. The 3 is definitely more comfortable, though. Those pads are wonderful. In comparison the LCD-2s almost hurt the first few minutes after you've put them on. 

I guess is all matter of taste. I own both the HD800 and the SR-009. Even that I still love the HD800 the sound of the SR-009 is addictive to me. The HD800 is my favorite dynamic open headphones will stay in my collection. I also love my HE-6 hardwired but IMO the SR-009 is in a higher league. After getting the SR-009 I a thinking in reducing my collection since a lot of them are not getting any headtime but the HD800, HE-6 and W3000ANV will stay for sure.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5,796 of 11,521
Quote:
Ah the good old days, me my XT, dual 5 1/4" drives and socketed memory to bump it up to a whopping 512K or was it 768K.  Good times :p

The max was 640k back then.

Yeah, good times. Second program I bought (first was the old PFS: First Choice) was AutoCAD. It could only load so much into memory so I'd be going along on a drawing and want to use a certain command and would get a "Please insert Disk 3..." message. Got tired of that after about six months and bought a 10MB hard drive. "Wow! TEN MEGABYTES! I'll never use that much!" You can probably guess about how long it was before I needed to get a 20MB hard drive.
biggrin.gif

se

May 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5,797 of 11,521
It scares me to think about just how much we still rely on 1.44mb floppies at work.
Heck we still have a few machines that run off 486'es.

And to think, here I am on my personal home PC with an i7 @ 4.3GHz , 32GB DDR3 RAM, two GTX 580 Video Cards, and roughly 3TB of internal storage and another 5TB external.

.... Yeah, I don't think I'll even go into comparing audio systems...
eek.gif

May 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5,798 of 11,521
Quote:
It scares me to think about just how much we still rely on 1.44mb floppies at work.
Heck we still have a few machines that run off 486'es.

And to think, here I am on my personal home PC with an i7 @ 4.3GHz , 32GB DDR3 RAM, two GTX 580 Video Cards, and roughly 3TB of internal storage and another 5TB external.

What would you even do with 8 tB of data?  I don't think I could fill that if every song on my hard drive was in FLAC and every video in 1080p.

May 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5,800 of 11,521
I've seen people with a LOT more than 8TB (I'm talking 50TB range).

Personally I always try to estimate my future storage needs (approx.1yr or so ahead) then buy said storage in a capacity roughly double that.
The reason being that the more you fill up HDD's (even SSD's) the slower they get performance wise.
So I always aim to keep my drives 25-50% empty.

May 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #5,801 of 11,521
I am also guilty of storage indulgence. Got 12TB in my NAS at home, mirrored to another NAS which I co-located at a data center away from home. Can't be paranoid enough when it comes to data redundancy. 

May 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #5,802 of 11,521
My solution to this was x-raid 2 in the NAS units, and a fast but small SSD on my computers. I store no data on the local computer beyond the operating system and installed programs. 

Quote:
The reason being that the more you fill up HDD's (even SSD's) the slower they get performance wise.

May 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #5,804 of 11,521
What would you even do with 8 tB of data?  I don't think I could fill that if every song on my hard drive was in FLAC and every video in 1080p.

I've got 5.5TBs of HDDs, both in storage and backup (so really 11TBs), and I am still running out of room lol. Games, flac, more games, music I've written, etc...

I need to get more time in my life so I can play these games I have and then uninstall them so I can fill the rest with music. Last May I put my PC together and still have not gotten to properly organizing or backing up them all properly. Time is a bitch.

Personally I always try to estimate my future storage needs (approx.1yr or so ahead) then buy said storage in a capacity roughly double that.
So I always aim to keep my drives 25-50% empty.

Haha, I wish I could do that but I need every ounce of space though they are fast enough for me as is. Money is a bitch. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back