New Audeze LCD3
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #3,106 of 11,521

Quote:
Does yours just click in - does it just pull out?

Quote:

My LCD-2 balanced cable (from Double Helix) is terminated with that exact same Neutrik plug and there is no click when I insert it into my WA22, and I have no difficulties removing it at all. As MH says easy as pie. There must be an issue with your 4-pin XLR socket Gwarmie. Are you afraid to insert it now, that's what she said indeed lol.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,107 of 11,521

Quote:

Quote:

My LCD-2 balanced cable (from Double Helix) is terminated with that exact same Neutrik plug and there is no click when I insert it into my WA22, and I have no difficulties removing it at all. As MH says easy as pie. There must be an issue with your 4-pin XLR socket Gwarmie. Are you afraid to insert it now, that's what she said indeed lol.

Yep it's a worry 
smile.gif
 I managed to get my hands on a factory balanced Ultrasone Pro 2900 which has that
exact same Neutrik terminated end with the cut away slit at the top, this one is dual x 3pin.

But yes, same dilemma the left and right 3pin sockets look to be exactly the same - still will never know
until I give it a go.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3,108 of 11,521

Quote:
When you said this, I thought of how the plastic bags covering both the inner and outer boxes were folded and taped perfectly neatly on my 009s. 

I imagine though that Audeze, being new to all this has had to deal with a huge number of issues that a company like Stax has already mastered.

Well yeah, Stax had been making headphones for 50 years when the LCD-2 was released.  Still the LCD-2/3 headband has a lot in common with the SR-X arc...

Quote:
And, as you very well know Amos, there's nobody who can one up Japanese companies when it comes to packaging and other wrappings! I still remember the xmas when I received a Yamamato dac first, and a Rudistor RP010B amp couple of days later. Extreme example maybe, but let's just say it didn't start well for the italian heavy paper weight...

You had a RP010B?  Were you hittin' the crack pipe back then? 
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3,109 of 11,521

Quote:
You had a RP010B?  Were you hittin' the crack pipe back then? 
tongue.gif

Hehe, I'll probably loose the last bit of respect from you after I say it was to drive some recabled edition 9s . :wink:

I don't think we can really say I owned the amp though since the first unit had the wrong color coding for the plugs and some pieces flying inside like covers that detached during shipping. The second unit went south after an hour of use because the superglued xlr phone jacks did not like some expensive furutech plugs from my recabled phones... 

An expensive experience all around, life got much simpler when I discovered that all I ever wanted was readily available in any audio store in Tokyo, if just requiring 580V of bias polarization ... But I disgress ^ ^.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,110 of 11,521
EXACTLY!

Certain studios had mastering and recording bibles. They were usually kept hidden and not everyone could look at them. Some recording studios, like Capitol Records in Hollywood, still have the originals and they are filled with secrets and extremely useful information. Why they don't stick to those tried and tested methods beats me.

The RCA bible even had schematics for certain amplifiers and other custom equipment as well as post-processing steps. I feel extremely privileged knowing just some of those secrets. I wish I had copies of those bibles....the things you can do....the sound you can get....:basshead:

I keep my own bible under lock and key.

My first trip back to the LCD3 thread since November. Catching up on about 1100 posts. This one I had to comment on.

Having purchased UE Reference Monitors at RMAF I've been rediscovering all of my music ever since. One recording I just really did not care for upon first listening when I bought it before my new setup was a Living Stereo SACD of Bartok Concerto for Orchestra by Reiner @ Chicago. Prompted by these 2 posts I pulled it back out. Going from DACMagic/HD600/LD MKVI balanced setup to Bifrost/WA6/UERM has made such a huge difference on this recording in particular. I love how RIGHT it sounds now. The imaging is a bit off as it seems to be setup more for speaker playback, but the realness of the instruments is startling for a recording of this age, of any age really. The infinitesimal details in the trills of the violins, the smack of the snare. It's just correct. Nothing crowds, everything has it's own place.

When I first heard this recording a few years ago I thought the Living Stereo hype was BS. I was totally wrong and I'm sorry to say this SACD has been sitting in my bin collecting dust all this time since I first listened to it.

--

A bit more on topic and somewhat an update on my LCD3 situation.. I still consider the LCD3 my top production headphone, but the cost of it plus the Darkstar still holds me back, and likely will for quite some time. My next purchase is a better source now that I know I still have substantial gains to be made there, and my down-chain gear, specifically the UERM is capable of much more. If I find a source that really knocks me for a loop, the LCD3 may be put on indefinite hold. The UERM are just that good and I don't know where their ceiling is.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3,112 of 11,521
I find it interesting that you use a CIEM mainly now-a-days, Maxvla. I'm moving in the same direction myself.

Yes. The UERM are all I use now. I put about 10 hours a day on them.

At first I thought it was all IEMs that could image properly, and large headphones that could not, regardless. My experience at RMAF has taught me that there are IEMs that do not image well, and some headphones that CAN image properly, but it is largely dependent on the chain. In general I still hold to the opinion that it is easier to find a pair of properly imaging IEMs than large headphones.

Another thing I'm finding now is that I seem to be developing into a source first person. I've been source last for all this time and I think I've been wrong. The upgrade from the DACMagic to the Bifrost was shocking. Hearing great cans on great amps out of world class cd players, notably the Boulder 1021, has caused me to rethink my whole path. I think I have lucked out with the UERM, however. It has some serious legs. I know my current source and possibly (probably) amp are holding them back yet they sound great already. Make sure you put them on your short list of CIEMs to consider.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,113 of 11,521

Quote:
Hehe, I'll probably loose the last bit of respect from you after I say it was to drive some recabled edition 9s . :wink:

I don't think we can really say I owned the amp though since the first unit had the wrong color coding for the plugs and some pieces flying inside like covers that detached during shipping. The second unit went south after an hour of use because the superglued xlr phone jacks did not like some expensive furutech plugs from my recabled phones... 

An expensive experience all around, life got much simpler when I discovered that all I ever wanted was readily available in any audio store in Tokyo, if just requiring 580V of bias polarization ... But I disgress ^ ^.

Yes I've made may diversions myself over the years 
bigsmile_face.gif

The latest holy grail, headphone to end all headphones and hype, but like you I always come back to stats 580V or otherwise!

Shocked to hear of the problems with the Rudistor and the super-glued xlr sockets, really shoddy.  I was tempted down that route myself some time ago but it was only because of comments at the "other place" made me realise the money would be much better spent elsewhere.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,114 of 11,521
Hi, this is my first post here, although I'm a long time Head-fi LCD-2/3 lurker!

HP background in one line: ... HD600, uDAC, HDP, HD800, DA11, LCD-2r1 (one week), LCD-2r2, Q-Audio, HE-6, EAR 909

Maybe this will interest someone...

I'm currently comparing two LCD-3s, have to decide which one to buy. It's a hard life...
wink_face.gif

Serial numbers are just three apart, time differs four minutes (early December). One, let's call it A, has a couple of days longer burn-in time than B, if that matters.
Do they sound the same?
No.
But the differences are very very minor and can probably only be heard when having both at hand.
I'm getting quite good at switching the mini-XLRs between the two LCD-3s in a dark room for blind testing!
I can now distinguish between A and B in blind tests.
A is a tiny bit more "articulate", a little bit more treble, clearer. Maybe sharper attacks, also in the bass.
B has a little bit less treble, maybe more mids, not as clear, almost muddier, perceived as a little bit darker.
It's for example easier to hear resonances in low level rimshots with A, B sounds more like a wooden rim.
A has a tiny tiny bit more of room reverb and cymbal sizzle.
Which one has the most correct sound reproduction? I don't know. I have to compare with my Event Opal monitors again (I know, these are a little bit bright).
I will probably buy A.
B looks nicer though...
And the frequency charts? Do they show what I hear? Not really, I think... 
confused_face%281%29.gif

As always don't pay too much attention to gibberish like this, order your LCD-3 and then listen for yourself!

Since English is not my native language I'm entitled to say "sorry for my bad English"! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3,115 of 11,521
Very interesting. You are the second or third person who has directly observed this. Tyll's measurements have also indicated one unit was 2-4db down from 2kHz onward. Production variances probably account, at least partially, for the differences in the observations of these cans. I'll should send my LCD3 to Tyll so we can get more samples. I suspect I may have B version.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #3,116 of 11,521
Note that the differences are very small! I didn’t even notice the shelved down high-mid/treble when I put B on after doing some other stuff. But when comparing A directly with B it is noticeable IMO.

Tried some EQ. I think you’re right, when applying a -2 dB high shelving filter from approx. 2k on A it sounds more like B. Enough to make A sound clear and B more dull. But it’s more, B has a muddiness around 300 – 400 Hz, can be mimicked on A with 2 dB peak EQ at ca. 400 Hz (1.8 oct.). Overall A plays “louder” than B.

Funny thing is that the supplied frequency graph for B is among the smoothest I’ve seen, almost a straight line 92 dB up to 700 Hz, then straight line down to 78 dB @ 4k. A has a 2 dB peak (plateau) 350 – 900 Hz and the common dip around 4k. I’ll have to live with that until LCD-4! 
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3,117 of 11,521
It sounds like the FR curve you have is fine for your model "A". I basically turned my "B" model in the "A" with the TP mods - I do prefer the "A" sound. LOL, I'm wondering if I can ask Audeze for the A version instead of the B?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,118 of 11,521
Maybe a silly question, but I'll pop it anyway:

How significant to the sound signature is the wooden ring on the Audezes? Could it be that variances in wood density / oil soaked into it, make an audible difference?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,119 of 11,521
Well, the wood in B is actually darker than the wood in A.... so the sound has to be darker...? 
beyersmile.png

Hm, I wonder which part of zebrano is hardest, the light or dark part?
Another thing, the right earpad was heavily compressed when I unpacked LCD-3B, looked really wierd... but I don't think that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back